Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leonardo Trossard

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He's somewhere in the middle on the MacAllister - Caicedo scale of "being a dickhead when leaving"

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I really liked him when he was with us - he was an excellent player who was our first and only real game changer for the first three years of his time with us. He carried our attack for those years, when he played well our attack fired, when he didn't it didn't.

I'm disappointed in how it ended, he wasn't the same player - for whatever reason - after the world cup. I would have preferred it to have been less controversial but I understand it was probably a now or never moment for him. From the day he joined he basically said he wanted to play in Europe/the champions league again and challenge for trophies. If he could do that with Brighton then great if not then a move to a bigger club but either way to achieve that aim he'd have to play well for us. And he mostly did bar those final couple of months.

I wouldn't boo him. Wouldn't give him as much love as I'd give Ally Mac but he wouldn't get a booing. A polite clap as thanks for the three and a bit years of very good service.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He was a good player who was always destined to move to a ‘bigger’ club than us, as a number have recently. I enjoyed watching him when he was here, as I did with many of the players that have moved on.

I’m not going to lose much sleep over his departure though.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Led by money grabbing agents that just so happen to be paid by Caicedo and Cucurella specifically to make these moves happen. Don't get me wrong, agents are a stain on the game, but let's not pretend that they weren't doing exactly what Caicedo and Cucurella were paying them to do. Caicedo changed agents in January precisely to force a move through

These aren't poor naive young lads being badly advised. They hired an agent to get them a "big move" and got it. Gutted it didn't work out for them... :rolleyes:

Trossard is one of those weird ones that we never seem to talk about since he left. The Chelsea mugs get battered, Mac Allister gets lots of love, as does (to a lesser extent) Bissouma and White, but Trossard seems largely forgotten.

In all honestly, I tend to want most of our players sold for big fees to go on to do well, unless the sign for Chelsea, in which case I couldn't care less.
Judging by how high White wears his socks like suspenders I think he gets a lot of strap on action from his beard..............sorry wife

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's interesting to hear that the taken story is that Leandro downed tools to force a move to Arsenal. I've heard a slightly different take for what it's worth.

Leandro came back from the 2022 World Cup heartbroken at his exclusion from the Belgian starting XI during the tournament. He had (rightly in my opinion) felt he'd done enough to warrant more of a place in the team than the now decrepit and unfit Hazard and felt his treatment by Martinez had blocked any opportunity for him to succeed with the national team on the World Cup stage. After the tournament, the club were unable to bring him out of his malaise (like they did with the Ecuadorian trio) and he decided that he wanted to leave for a new challenge - the focus was now to be on domestic success rather than international. He had a fallout with De Zerbi in this moment that left a bit of a sour taste in everyone's mouths. The club then rejected lowly offers of around £10m-15m from an unnamed European side (Marseille I think) and Tottenham - he would've liked either move and was upset by the club rejecting them. The club got a cordial offer from Arsenal (as their pursuit of Mudryk had failed) and everything was agreed mid-window and off he went.

Arsenal then rocked the boat later in the window by acting a bit differently in their unsuccessful pursuit of Caicedo.

I've got no issue with Trossard. He played 116 games for us and was superb in his time at the Albion. It's a shame how it ended but let's be serious, if he didn't leave it wouldn't have carved out the space for Enciso, Mitoma and Mac to dominate his positions in the second half of the season.
Well, this is a generous reading of things, and good to hear a different perspective from the standard view (which has been repeatedly expressed on this thread).
Life's too short for me to get all angry with players, managers and other staff leaving, even if they left 'badly'. I'm more interested in:
-- what we bought them for
-- how they perform while with us
-- what we sell them for
This is how Bloom seems to view things, and with most players no longer with us of recent years, we've had an astonishingly good hit rate in all three of those categories, including with Trossard.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Well, this is a generous reading of things, and good to hear a different perspective from the standard view (which has been repeatedly expressed on this thread).
Life's too short for me to get all angry with players, managers and other staff leaving, even if they left 'badly'. I'm more interested in:
-- what we bought them for
-- how they perform while with us
-- what we sell them for
This is how Bloom seems to view things, and with most players no longer with us of recent years, we've had an astonishingly good hit rate in all three of those categories, including with Trossard.
I mean don't get me wrong. He's a moody little shit. But from what I heard, the World Cup experience was really damaging for him and the club worked very hard (I think it's documented that they brought in psychologists for all returning stars) to get him to move forward, he never really did.

It ended up being a very good move for everyone, and despite that very very odd post from his agent via Romano there wasn't much external communication from Leo himself aside from a thank you video when the transfer was done. And as it later transpired, the Arsenal deal went from start to finish in 48 hours.

In a whole different world to Sanchez, Caicedo and Cucurella.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Leonardo Trossard​

He has so much talent and finds space so well.
It was his movement and positional play and link up with Mooy that allowed Arron to put the cross in for Maupey to score the winner.
He then had another great moment right at the death which could/should of made it 3-1.
I would love us to use him more because he has so much skill and vision, but he seems to be Mr Substitute ATM and the game changer when the opposition
are tiring or pushing up and leaving gaps.
I thought he was superb in his 15 minute cameo last night
Waste of space. His brother Leandro was fairly decent though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here