Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight Is Innocent, Says Leon Knight

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
From today's Western Mail:

I Was Bought To Score Goals And That's What I've Done

Oct 17 2006 (Western Mail)

Leon Knight last night expressed his shock after being sensationally placed on the transfer list yesterday.

Swansea City's top goalscorer was instructed he was no longer wanted at the club when he met manager Kenny Jackett for the first time since being told he wouldn't be travelling to Chesterfield for Saturday's League One clash.

The Swansea manager had insisted Knight's absence from the 18-man matchday squad was purely for footballing reasons. But Jackett has now admitted it was Knight's attitude that has cost him his Swans career, claiming he could have worked harder for the team.

Last night a shocked Knight vehemently denied sparking any fights or causing a rift inside the Swans dressing room.

"It's nothing to do with me or there being a ruckus," said a visibly shaken Knight when he spoke to the Western Mail just moments after being given the news by Jackett.

"I've heard a lot of things being said about there being fights or cliques being made in and around the dressing room. Everyone moans on the training pitch and I moan because I'm a winner and I want to win.

"I'm a big enough man to admit that sometimes on the training pitch I do say the wrong thing, or perhaps just things in the wrong way, but everything stays there.

"I'm too old for stuff like fights or anything like that. I've been involved in that kind of thing before, which everyone is well aware of, and I'm not looking to go back down that road.

"People aren't going to believe it's for footballing reasons, but that's what it is."

Knight's fantastic scoring record since his £125,000 move from Brighton in January will no doubt produce raised eyebrows at Jackett's decision. With 19 goals in just 25 league and cup starts, the product of the Chelsea youth system had represented good value for money.

Knight's end-of-season goals fired Swansea into the League One play-off final last season and he is this term's top scorer with seven.

"I don't know what to think to be honest," said Knight. "I've been told it's for footballing reasons - he (Jackett) wants to try something new, I don't work hard enough and I moan too much basically.

"That's his opinion and everyone's entitled to their own. But I'm sure there's people who are surprised this has happened if they look at my goal record - and that's what's running through my head as well.

"Of course I'm disappointed it's ended like this but what can I say or do? I can't tell the manager how to do his job. If he wants to try something new and I haven't got a part to play in that then what can I say?

"The manager brought me here and I'm a goalscorer - nothing else but a goalscorer. People saying I'm not working hard enough, well there's different types of striker like Rory (Fallon) who will go back for corners and work a lot. But then you've got natural goalscorers - and I'm one of them.

"I could be quiet for 89 minutes then pop up in the 90th and score the winning goal. I'm one of them but obviously the gaffer doesn't want that sort of striker in the squad and that's why he's put me on the transfer list."

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
All in the audio interview below (I suspect the reporter was there as well)

They seem to have censored out the "innits" and the "wot nots" above.

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
The Laughing Bluebird said:

"I could be quiet for 89 minutes then pop up in the 90th and score the winning goal. I'm one of them but obviously the gaffer doesn't want that sort of striker in the squad and that's why he's put me on the transfer list."

He wants to be paid thousands of pounds each week for one minute's work? Well, wouldn't we all? :jester:

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Re: Re: Leon Knight Is Innocent, Says Leon Knight

jakes right boot said:
He wants to be paid thousands of pounds each week for one minute's work? Well, wouldn't we all? :jester:
exactly what I'm thinking. he basically says, I'll let everyone else do all the work and then I'll grab the glory - nothing like a team player!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Dougal said:
I'm pretty bored of this story now to be honest

In that case, don't bother to read any threads about it.

The clue is usually in the title.

:shrug:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Laughing Bluebird said:

"I don't know what to think to be honest," said Knight. "I've been told it's for footballing reasons - he (Jackett) wants to try something new, I don't work hard enough and I moan too much basically.

"That's his opinion and everyone's entitled to their own.

:lolol: :lolol: Surely not Leon. It must just be Jackett who thinks that, nobody else would ever say you were lazy and moan to much.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Best Schadenfreude I've ever felt, wrong I know but I'm loving it :thumbsup:

Gonna get the same feeling when I see what shit fee he goes for, as the price we got for him was considered peanuts by his worshippers on NSC. How long's he got left on his contract? Bet it's more than the 7 months he had here and I bet he goes for less this time.

Last edited:

Icy Gull said:

Gonna get the same feeling when I see what shit fee he goes for, as the price we got for him was considered peanuts by his worshippers on NSC. How long's he got left on his contract? Bet it's more than the 7 months he had here and I bet he goes for less this time.

Didn't he sign a 2 and a half year contract with Swansea?

Amazing reading their message boards-it's like deja vu....:lolol:

Once again the little turd has f***ed up team spirit, got a group of fans calling for the manager and chairman to be kicked out (whilst keeping Little Turd:lolol: ).

You couldn't make it up.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
There are bound to be lots of managers looking at his goals-to-games ratio and thinking that they can turn his attitude around. I expect he'll probably get a loan move somewhere - maybe even to the Championship (Leeds?) - and he'll be as good as gold until the window reopens. After he's got his move expect normal service to resume.

Football is about chasing the dream and Leon's scoring record offers a lot of hope to a dreamer.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Icy Gull said:

Likewise. I am LOVING every minute of this story. A lot of us said give it six months and sure enough Leon didn’t let us down. The chip on his shoulder was just too big.

The icing on the cake would be if he was Bankrupt again.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Jim D said:
There are bound to be lots of managers looking at his goals-to-games ratio and thinking that they can turn his attitude around. I expect he'll probably get a loan move somewhere - maybe even to the Championship (Leeds?) - and he'll be as good as gold until the window reopens. After he's got his move expect normal service to resume.

Football is about chasing the dream and Leon's scoring record offers a lot of hope to a dreamer.

But not in The Championship. There his scoring record sucks. I'm sure there'll be clubs prepared to take him on - although the £5k he's on, and will demand elsewhere will limit the interest - but I think it'll be League One.

Then it's a case of him being at a club where he thinks he's better than everyone, and the cycle will just begin again.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So Leon, by your own admission, you;

moan
say the wrong things
don't do anything for 89 mins of a game

... and yet you still don't understand what the problem is. I think that pretty much sums up EXACTLY what the problem is.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gritt23 said:
I'm sure there'll be clubs prepared to take him on

The thing is though, that for every manager that thinks "I'm a hard man, I can manage that little twat, show him who's boss" etc etc, there will no surely start being a few who'll be aware of what effect Leon Knight has now had on the manager's standing at both Brighton and Swansea. Someone, somewhere will, of course, give him a job but it's more than a question of taking on a player with a bit of baggage by now and I reckon plenty within the game will know that. His share price must be rock-bottom. I reckon he might even drop to League 2.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Hannibal smith said:
Likewise. I am LOVING every minute of this story. A lot of us said give it six months and sure enough Leon didn’t let us down. The chip on his shoulder was just too big.

:lolol:
:lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Man of Harveys said:
The thing is though, that for every manager that thinks "I'm a hard man, I can manage that little twat, show him who's boss" etc etc, there will no surely start being a few who'll be aware of what effect Leon Knight has now had on the manager's standing at both Brighton and Swansea. Someone, somewhere will, of course, give him a job but it's more than a question of taking on a player with a bit of baggage by now and I reckon plenty within the game will know that. His share price must be rock-bottom. I reckon he might even drop to League 2.

Not sure who in League 2 could afford him. He thinks he's the best striker around, and will expect the money that goes with it (£5k per week). I can see him going to Forest.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Hannibal smith said:

Didn't he blow all his money on cars?
Kettler_Street_Hawk_Pedal_Kettcar_Toys-resized200.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here