Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leon Balogun SIGNS [two-year deal]

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Appreciate that but in last about 10 years have only received big fee for Ulloa, Knockhart and now White. Seems a poor return on outgoing business compared to many clubs

Agree, but in terms of how attractive we were to the best young players, Southampton, Chelsea, Palace over a period of time have had a better overall youth package to offer young players. I think Lancing is now showing the fruits of having first class facilities, because from training on the University pitches and facilities, we're now a magnet for the best young players. Let's not forget Southampton had so much talent coming through, they shipped White out to us!

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Wasn’t he signed when it looked like Dunk was going to Fulham ? He had a great debut in that opening day game up at Fulham when he had only been in the country a couple of days. Dunk was on the bench.
Was just thinking back to that Fulham game where Uwe went straight into the side having just been signed. Had it in my head he played alongside Greer at the back which having checked was indeed the case. Surprised how much Greer played in that 15/16 season, as I don't associate him with the Hughton era at all, but I guess it figures as we didn't sign Duffy until the following season, so would've shared minutes with Dunk, Goldson and Uwe. (end of stream of consciousness)

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

If this podcast is anything to go by, Leon Balogun and Potter aren't top of each other's Christmas card lists - Balogun basically complains as to never being given a fair chance at Brighton, especially during the 2019/20 season
The relevant part of the video is from the 26 minute mark to just over 37 mins

I'm glad Balogun corrected the interviewer who wanted to describe Dunk as not being able to play.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Appreciate that but in last about 10 years have only received big fee for Ulloa, Knockhart and now White. Seems a poor return on outgoing business compared to many clubs

True but we did extract maximum value out of some e.g. Murray, Stephens and Bruno who came in for little and were key for 4 years . Same with Duffy.

Goldson and Balogun were here at the wrong time (for them) and whilst they are performing well at Rangers I am not sure they were outstanding enough to attract PL attention. It is interesting that Webster was given game time to develop (and make crucial mistakes) when Balogun was hung out to dry for his. Personally feel he had more to offer and his goal against CPFC was a cracker long to be remembered.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agree, but in terms of how attractive we were to the best young players, Southampton, Chelsea, Palace over a period of time have had a better overall youth package to offer young players. I think Lancing is now showing the fruits of having first class facilities, because from training on the University pitches and facilities, we're now a magnet for the best young players. Let's not forget Southampton had so much talent coming through, they shipped White out to us!

This!

Tony Bloom has invested his money astutely (no surprise there)
He has hired an elite level management team in all areas of recruitment and club development and spent heavily on infrastructure.

It's been a 10 year project to get us here, but we are starting to see the results of TB's investment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Before he opens his mouth to talk about lack of opportunities, Balogun should look at his teammate Goldson. A player deemed expendable by the Albion who has been the best defender in the SPL for a couple of years.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Always did a decent job when called upon - but he did have that one-error-in-a-game tendency. Confdent - thought he was good enough to get in the teaam - nothing wrong with that, but saw the writing on the wall when we paid £20M for another CB (didn't we get Balogun, like Hunnemeier before him, on a free?). That must be just like Alzate and Molumby are probably feeling when we buy Caicedo and Mwepu.
Anyway, he's found a good home now, so good luck to him and Goldson for the coming season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Slightly deluded if he thinks he deserved many more 'chances' over the £50M Ben White, our captain Lewis Dunk or £20M Adam Webster.

Decent player but the club have progressed quicker than he had

This.

I mean really. Leon was actually a very neat and tidy player for us, and yeah. He maybe should have got a few more games, but he’s done alright for himself. Winning trophies for a huge club.

This happens when you get a change of manager. He was naturally behind Dunk and Duffy already, but then GP signed Webster and brought Ben White into the team.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Does surprise me how Balogun ,Propper, Goldson, Ryan etc sold for peanuts. Big clubs seem to sell on Academy players that have been on loan in championship or abroad for huge fees. I thought when players like Walton, Molumby and Balogun did well in championship for a season they would then have some value but doesnt seem the case with us

Well, I for one will be fully supportive in your bid to oust Tony Bloom in running this club. Have you officially launched your campaign yet?

Stumpy Tim

It will be even better to see it in terms of on the field results, and finishing higher up the table.

Perhaps that will come this season.

Possibly, almost certainly, the most ridiculous and THICK comment on North Stand Chat ever. Bloom took over when we were threatened with relegation from League 1, and we're now established in the Premier League, just sold a player for £50m, and yet are not relegation favourites. I am struggling to understand what anyone could expect that would be better.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Possibly, almost certainly, the most ridiculous and THICK comment on North Stand Chat ever. Bloom took over when we were threatened with relegation from League 1, and we're now established in the Premier League, just sold a player for £50m, and yet are not relegation favourites. I am struggling to understand what anyone could expect that would be better.

[emoji106]

One of the lowest wage bills in the league and some here demand we’re 10th or better.

And yet we’re really not that far off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here