8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
CasTWbPW8AEznkS.png-large.png

[tweet]696671844351537152[/tweet]

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Increased TV money. Maybe tipping point has finally been reached where pretty much all clubs have enough money to put out a competitive team at any time, because Leicester (or even Palace and Bournemouth) can pay squad players so much that it is worth their while sitting on the bench 90% of the time than making the step down a division and being a success.

I've been wondering about this recently. Seems most teams in the premier league can afford to get decent players in. The man citys will always have the edge but this is football after all.

But then, if this trend does continue and it isn't so easy for the big clubs to guarantee their top 4 finishes, surely they'll start looking in to ways to become more of a closed shop.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I wonder how many Leicester fans went into meltdown when he was appointed?

Reading that even makes me feel warm and fuzzy and I really don't give 2 ploppies.

Sure it's easy to be eloquent from a position of strength, but can you hear Big Sam, Pards, Schteve, Brendon et al knocking it out of the park, like that?

Last edited:

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
now we'll see what they are made off.
no doubt they would have been delighted to take anything before the city and arsenal games, but they need to bounce back from this quickly.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Not prrviously read this thread and dont want to scroll back but has anyone mentioned the free beer for all supporters provided by the owners on 3 occasions so far. Upon promotion, upon staying up and around christmas time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
now we'll see what they are made off.
no doubt they would have been delighted to take anything before the city and arsenal games, but they need to bounce back from this quickly.

You'd have to say, their next 9 fixtures are very favourable. They have 6 at home, none of the 9 are against anyone in the top 5, and only 3 of them are against teams in the top 10.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
You'd have to say, their next 9 fixtures are very favourable. They have 6 at home, none of the 9 are against anyone in the top 5, and only 3 of them are against teams in the top 10.

No cup competitions either and plenty of time between relatively 'easy' games. But that last minute goal might lose them their feel good factor. 5 points to 2 points looks very different and they now can't afford to slip up. So much time between games might also be a bad thing, the FA cup would have been a welcome distraction to take their mind of the Prem

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Or the flip side. Rather than the distraction of the cup theyre off for a nice break in the sunshine to recharge their batteries

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Or the flip side. Rather than the distraction of the cup theyre off for a nice break in the sunshine to recharge their batteries

Agreed ....Leicester in the driving seat but Arsenal will be all but knock out of the CL tomorrow so that's one less cup for them to worry about

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
About to be 5 points clear with 8 games to go.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
A small club like Leicester showing what is achievable for a similar club like Brighton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
About to be 5 points clear with 8 games to go.
Although 5 points clear with 24 still available sounds slightly less straightforward.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, it's far from over. I still wonder whether they will live to regret Mahrez's missed penalties against Bournemouth and Villa, both of which would almost certainly have turned draws into wins. They could easily be four points further ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports