Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester City: Three players sacked following racist sex tape

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Serious question, why is Jap offfensive? It's short for Japanese yes? Am I being racially abused if an Aussie calls me a 'Pom' then as that's surely worse than just a name shortening...?

I deal the japs quite a lot at work and it is a definite NO to abbreviate it. Have to say I was a bit surprised how serious it was as i abbreviate all countries when putting in a title in a spreadsheet

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I deal the japs quite a lot at work and it is a definite NO to abbreviate it. Have to say I was a bit surprised how serious it was as i abbreviate all countries when putting in a title in a spreadsheet

Yeh I assumed it had some sort of history behind it. It's like the word pa*i - it was a normal harmless term for people refering to those from Pakistan. Because people started using it as a racial abuse term to Asians it's become a really offensive word. You hear the old boys at my local talk cricket and they refer to the Pakistan team as the 'pa*is' - nothing racist meant at all and in their era it would have surely been the same as saying the 'aussies'. Funny how words can have their meanings changed..

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Yeh I assumed it had some sort of history behind it. It's like the word pa*i - it was a normal harmless term for people refering to those from Pakistan. Because people started using it as a racial abuse term to Asians it's become a really offensive word. You hear the old boys at my local talk cricket and they refer to the Pakistan team as the 'pa*is' - nothing racist meant at all and in their era it would have surely been the same as saying the 'aussies'. Funny how words can have their meanings changed..

They don't, context and who you talk to matters. You wouldn't refer to a group of Krouts you are working with as the Bosch would you? I would think that given history terms like Tojo and slope are more offensive. Ignore the crying of the butthurt brigade just work it out for yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here