Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester City losses 2012-13 - £34m

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
FFP is a waste of time just let natural forces sort things out, the prime example is Portsmouth that is a much better sanction than FFP

Except for all the local businesses and charities that Portsmouth still owe and will never get paid, including St John Ambulance. Bumping charities for cash is pretty low eh?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The one problem I have with FFP - well, the MAIN problem, there are a few - is that once it at settles down and is being adhered to, it will basically sort clubs out by their potential fan base size.

Follow a small club? You won't ever progress higher than the lower end of Championship unless the club charges £50 a ticket because the attendances will be smaller, advertising smaller, merchandise sales smaller etc etc.
I don't really agree for a couple of reasons. Firstly, not all clubs will be run as well as each other, and clubs will improve and decline in the way they manage to bring in money. And secondly, because football results don't always go to the club spending the most money. Some teams that have spent a lot will a) have bought some duds, b) get injuries c) have some bad luck etc, while some that haven't spent much will have bought a ) found some bargains, b) have a great season, c) have some special home grown talent etc. Looks at Wolves last year, they were paying the wages of 'top' players, and still managed to go down.

But even if you were right, that beats clubs doing well because someone crooked owner is using them to gamble or launder money.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think you'll find that was a Football League event. Same applies though ...

Fair comment. I've lost track as to who owns Wembley though, is it the FA, and do they still have some sort of debenture ticket that allows the holder to attend everything in the stadium (or am I mixing that up with Wimbledon?)?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In one case, the club was bought IN ORDER TO launder money. And the Premier League didn't even notice. Which is why I suspect that clever or crooked accountants will enable clubs to evade FFP to a large extent.

My naivety I suppose, but I would be far more concerned if the police turned a blind eye to money laundering rather than the FA. Any likelihood of any charges ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Fair comment. I've lost track as to who owns Wembley though, is it the FA, and do they still have some sort of debenture ticket that allows the holder to attend everything in the stadium (or am I mixing that up with Wimbledon?)?

Wembley has a similar system to the 1901 club at the Amex called 'Club Wembley'.

The basic membership entitles the member to a seat at every event held at the stadium, football, rugby and music, without additional charge - the annual membership cost is around £2,000 per annum, (including licence fee), with a guarantee of availability until 2018.

There are more expensive options offering additional hospitality benefits

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I see Liverpool have just announced losses of £50m for last season, which apparently was a slight improvement on the previous season! :ohmy:

Makes you wonder if all the financial promises about reaching the Prem are really all there cracked up to be.

I think TB might be advised to stay where we are.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In one case, the club was bought IN ORDER TO launder money. And the Premier League didn't even notice. Which is why I suspect that clever or crooked accountants will enable clubs to evade FFP to a large extent.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...irmingham-city-fit-and-proper-test?CMP=twt_gu

Okay I get it now. Absolutely pathetic !

Sometimes I look at the football league and think what is the point now, why not let the FA run all of it ? Then I realise what a self-serving useless bunch of arses run the FA and the Football League suddenly seems relevant again.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Time for the FA/FL to grow balls and ban LCFC from the Premier League, fine them heavily for cheating and apply this to the rest who do not adhere to FFP.
After all, they all voted for it.
It would be a travesty of justice if LCFC was allowed to go up having overspent.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Time for the FA/FL to grow balls and ban LCFC from the Premier League, fine them heavily for cheating and apply this to the rest who do not adhere to FFP.
After all, they all voted for it.
It would be a travesty of justice if LCFC was allowed to go up having overspent.

Well 21 out of 24 did - and of those 24 only 15 are still in the Championship, so it could be as few as 12 of the current 24 clubs who actually voted for 'it'.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The big loser in FFP is going to be fans who regularly attend football matches and have to pay increased ticket prices because many clubs won't suddenly lower their ambitions or halve their wage offers. They will just pass the cost on.

In an ideal world the clubs would take FFP on board and collectively drop the ridiculous wages being offered to players. This is unlikely to happen though - particularly all the time certain clubs can fund these wages with parachute payments. Those looking to compete with them will have to up their prices in order to do so.

Ditch parachute payments. Encourage clubs in the Premier League to have sensible and sustainable wage reductions written into player contracts guarding against relegation - as Sunderland do already, I believe.

Go back to the idea of distributing FFP penalties to those clubs who DO follow the rules.

In isolation I can't see how FFP will work in the way I think we all hope it will.
That's about the right way to look at it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Well 21 out of 24 did - and of those 24 only 15 are still in the Championship, so it could be as few as 12 of the current 24 clubs who actually voted for 'it'.

Although, of course, the remainder fully accepted it by actively participating in the Championship following relegation/promotion, knowing that it had come into effect.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The big loser in FFP is going to be fans who regularly attend football matches and have to pay increased ticket prices because many clubs won't suddenly lower their ambitions or halve their wage offers. They will just pass the cost on.

In an ideal world the clubs would take FFP on board and collectively drop the ridiculous wages being offered to players. This is unlikely to happen though - particularly all the time certain clubs can fund these wages with parachute payments. Those looking to compete with them will have to up their prices in order to do so.

Ditch parachute payments. Encourage clubs in the Premier League to have sensible and sustainable wage reductions written into player contracts guarding against relegation - as Sunderland do already, I believe.

Go back to the idea of distributing FFP penalties to those clubs who DO follow the rules.

In isolation I can't see how FFP will work in the way I think we all hope it will.

It's not parachute payments that are the issue. It's the cash cow that funds these that is ruining football ie sky tv. We all ditch sky sports and tv money stops and sanity returns.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Journos up Derby way have confirmed that football league are reviewing FFP - Looks like it's either going to be binned or overhauled, either way I don't think anyone's going to see any punishment in the near term. So some people will have to find something else to moan about....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Journos up Derby way have confirmed that football league are reviewing FFP - Looks like it's either going to be binned or overhauled, either way I don't think anyone's going to see any punishment in the near term. So some people will have to find something else to moan about....

Yes, we can moan about the spineless Football League.

At the very least FFP has stopped Tony being tempted to lose even more money, and the club's finances are in a better state.

You never know, we may go up anyway, and not really care anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here