Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leicester chairman helicopter crashes in car park

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How does helicopter safety compare with plane? Are they inherently more dangerous?

As another poster has said you don't get too many near fatal accidents, involving helicopters, which might be why they are bit more 'newsworthy' .

I'm surprised by the level of 'I hope everyone's ok' comments in the aftermath, perhaps Hollywood is to blame for that.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just out of interest, when were you last in one?

A number of years ago when visiting Jersey and Guernsey. My parents booked it against my will. I was worried, but i am still here. Lets just say I was happy when it landed safely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can hardly wish everyone dead :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah sorry I didn't mean it like that.
Just that, in my mind at least, when the news mentions helicopter crash I don't think 'was anyone saved?'.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As another poster has said you don't get too many near fatal accidents, involving helicopters, which might be why they are bit more 'newsworthy' .

I'm surprised by the level of 'I hope everyone's ok' comments in the aftermath, perhaps Hollywood is to blame for that.

True. But how does it compare relatively?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Matthew Harding, Keith Wickenden, and now Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha - they are for wealthy men involved in football, it would seem. Very sad for Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and his friends and family today.

Keith Wickenden was a light aircraft

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How does helicopter safety compare with plane? Are they inherently more dangerous?

Have to be much more dangerous, I can think of quite a few high profile accidents just in this country in the last 5-10 years.

I think it’s Alan Sugar that says he refuses to use them unless he absolutely has to, and he is a qualified pilot

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
True. But how does it compare relatively?

Flying is the safest form of travel. Helicopters are believe it or not considered safer. The chance unlike some have stated on here surviving an engine failure is better than a fixed wing aircraft. The data supports this.

In truth due to helicopters being generally small you must consider them along side light aircraft. Therefore news worthy reporting on incidents is skewed. Being that the most dangerous part of an aircraft journey is the take off and landing. Helicopters take off/landing often in populated areas, planes don't. So any crash can cause much more damage.

The public only hear of the tragic incidents never the run of the meal incidents where people are uninjured. Just for your info there's in the region of 5 declared emergencies alone at Gatwick per week.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bloody hell - was he? I thought he was a rich business man..............................

Only in his spare time, didn't go too well if honest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The pilot was brought up in Brighton by the look of it. Brighton college 1979-1983

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
RIP to all the victims.

The owners were/are gentle people, with class. In a sometimes sleazy sport, it was an unusual move (under Pearson's reign) where the owners sacked the young players who'd disrespected the Thai people on a club trip there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
LCFC have issued a statement confirming the owner was one of five people who died

Just awful.

013a578b571b3d3399bc3acbd9ccfdba.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here