Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lego

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
The "1980-something space guy" character, a Minifigure from LEGO's classic Space line, has a broken helmet and a worn-out, scuffed logo on his suit, similar to how many real-life vintage Space Minifigures look after decades of being used. The helmet is even shown to be cracked at the same spot where the real-life LEGO piece would usually break.

Thanks, IMBD

D1AX

Jun 20, 2013
From a manufacturing and engineering perspective, the margin of tolerances in quality for producing a product of this scale and volume is found in no other industry or manufacturing corporation existing today. Yes it is plastic, which makes the feat that much more impressive, but just imagine all the people we know who have ever played with lego, multiply that with the number of individual bricks used by these kids, then times that by the actual number of kids in the world who have ever played with lego and then come to the realisation that not ever in all those instances did two bricks not fit together, snugly, satisfyingly and elegantly. That is an engineering and manufacturing miracle. That is the reason this bit of plastic is one of the most highly engineered products we can buy, hence the price.

I think Lego is fab. We have loads of Duplo and standard size bricks bought new, handed on and acquired through via charity shops etc. When the Young Potting grow out of them I am sure that most of it will still be usable by somebody.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Personally, I don't see the appeal of these licensed collections. Surely the greater joy comes from making your own creations rather than the cheaty thinking of 'I'm going to make a castle. I know, I'll use this giant castle piece with turrets on each corner'?

Lego-Stand

Nov 6, 2003
Personally, I don't see the appeal of these licensed collections. Surely the greater joy comes from making your own creations rather than the cheaty thinking of 'I'm going to make a castle. I know, I'll use this giant castle piece with turrets on each corner'?

How about the Lego-stand ? ???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whilst no one disputes it is an excellent toy, the margins for a product manufactured using injection moulding must be very high. Their financials for 2012 show net profit as about 25% of revenues. With regard to the bricks, as long as the moulds are correct then all bricks will fit together. Apparently, the precision tolerance levels for the moulds are 0.002 millimetres.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I've always thought the same. It ways felt like an achievement when fully making a house of my own design complete with furnishings. Although, there was normally that annoying moment when I realised I didn't have enough of one colour brick so I had to have an odd brick. Or when I'd made the house too big so I wouldn't have enough tiles for the roof.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
CorgiRegisteredFriend;60 10800 said:
Basic lego is fine but I do struggle with the concept of a Star Wars Lego Advent Calendar. And I believe there is a Lego film coming out soon. Wonder what will be next?

Last edited:

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i f*cking lovelego! Bestthing i ever built as a kid was the Saxondale Castle. I now work in a kindergarten, and a large proportion ofy day is spent playing with lego :D

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From a manufacturing and engineering perspective, the margin of tolerances in quality for producing a product of this scale and volume is found in no other industry or manufacturing corporation existing today. Yes it is plastic, which makes the feat that much more impressive, but just imagine all the people we know who have ever played with lego, multiply that with the number of individual bricks used by these kids, then times that by the actual number of kids in the world who have ever played with lego and then come to the realisation that not ever in all those instances did two bricks not fit together, snugly, satisfyingly and elegantly. That is an engineering and manufacturing miracle. That is the reason this bit of plastic is one of the most highly engineered products we can buy, hence the price.

We've had a look at a couple of smaller non-Lego but "compatible with other leading bricks" sets and, in comparison, they are utter rubbish. Lighter in weight and the brick-to-brick fit is nowhere near as snug meaning they come apart far easier.

I've no issue with paying any additional "Lego tax" as it is worth it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was playing with Lego 50 years ago - back then you built to your own design.
Me and my siblings used to have competitions to see who could build the tallest structures.
We called it "Heck", as in "heck, that's tall"
Hours and hours of fun, but I believe it facilitated the foundation for engineering, design and construction.

I also had Mecanno a few years later but this never quite had the success of Lego.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
We've had a look at a couple of smaller non-Lego but "compatible with other leading bricks" sets and, in comparison, they are utter rubbish. Lighter in weight and the brick-to-brick fit is nowhere near as snug meaning they come apart far easier.

This.

With bells on.

The 'compatible' stuff is sh1t. As Booza says, it comes apart, splits and isn't really compatible at all.

I could quite happily spend whole days just randomly playing with lego.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

This.

With bells on.

The 'compatible' stuff is sh1t. As Booza says, it comes apart, splits and isn't really compatible at all.

I could quite happily spend whole days just randomly playing with lego.

These.

I love the stuff and find that the kids lose interest way before I do.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Our attic is full of Lego from when the kids were young 15-20 years ago. It's all waiting for the next generation. My brothers used to play with it 40 years ago. Great stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here