Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legends Match and Brighton vs Charlton: (Un)Offical Thread

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think after yesterday it goes to show Elphick and Lynch should be the centre backs was not impressed with Hawkins. Can also safely say Racoon was the best player on the park found room all over the place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your criticism of Mayo really is getting tedious now.

How on earth you could pick Mayo out as the only poor performance yesterday quite honestly beggars belief. Your problem is you have such an issue with Mayo you can't give the guy a balanced judgment on his performance. I bet you could not wait for the first misplaced pass yesterday so you could run home to your keyboard and wank yourself dry over the attention you get laying into him.

I actually thought he showed some good touches yesterday he sprayed a long crossfield ball to Forster nearly creating a chance and had a few nice touches here and there.

You could have picked three players out who were equally at fault for the goal but it sits so better with your anti Mayo campaign to single Kerry out.

NONE of the team exactly player well yesterday but this is a friendly and both teams seemed contented to play the game at training ground pace.

Then I also see in another post you are questioning our credentials for the coming season based on our training pace performance against Championship opposition. This only furthers my belief your knowledge of the game is fairly limited and your ramblings continue to be nothing more than monotonous drivel

I amuse myself with the words Mayo fans use. 'he showed some good touches yesterday' and 'had a few nice touches here and there.' are terms you use for an up and coming player not a seasoned pro of 10 years.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I amuse myself with the words Mayo fans use. 'he showed some good touches yesterday' and 'had a few nice touches here and there.' are terms you use for an up and coming player not a seasoned pro of 10 years.

Quite.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Poor game all round. First half was better from a Charlton perspective as we seemed to take our foot off the gas more (not that it was much on the gas anyway) in the second. Don't think it was fitness that had us first to the ball most times as much as age. With most of our more experienced players unavailable (Todorov, Ambrose and Holland injured, Zheng Zhi at the Olympics) that was a VERY young squad. Only three of the seventeen who played for us were older than 25 and NONE were older than 30. Average age of that squad: 22.4 years. Hence being first to the ball more, I suspect. With Nicky Weaver injured in the warm-up and our reserve keepers at the concurrent friendly at Grays, that 17 year old youth team kiddie who played in goal for us hasn't even played for our reserves (as far as I know) before, let alone first team. I'm amazed that someone that short is trying to make it as a keeper, but good luck to the little lad. *pats on head*

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It equally amuses me that if a pass goes astray, or Mayo is beaten by a fast defender that the cry goes up 'Mayo is shit'.

Like, HOLD THE FRONT PAGE, 'Brighton player gives the ball away...'

:rolleyes:

In this issue of the goal, yes, Mayo was beaten, but equally, where was the marking in the box?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
FWIW, my take on the game was it was supremely dull.

Kuipers was safe and sure. We defended pretty well - though Hawkins blew a bit hot and cold. We got bugger all from two different midfields, with Livermore and Thomson happy to let the game pass them by, and Forster needs to stay on his feet, and Murray needs to learn the sodding offside rule.

In other words, we've picked up from the end of last season, so at least we haven't gone backwards.

Oh, and Mr Whing, if you shoot with your left foot, keep your non-kicking foot beside the ball and your head over the ball...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's possibly the worst argument/criticism I've EVER read on here. You're so far off the mark it's untrue. Right, firstly I actually said words to the effect of "the Mayo debate is boring now," so quite why you think I'm starting one I don't know.

Secondly, NOWHERE have I picked Mayo out as being the only poor performer yesterday. Quotes of mine such as "the whole team were lacklustre" should really give you a clue on that. I wasn't overjoyed that Mayo f***ed up, but I admit there was a feeling of inevitablity about it.

I would love to know who these THREE other players are that were in some responsible for Charlton's goal. Unless I've completely lost my memory overnight, the winger ran at Mayo, beat him, and the ball went in the net. Who else was even involved?

:lolol:

Oh dear.

You think you can close the Mayo debate once and for all with your own finely-tuned parting shot I know all the usual suspects will slate me, but sorry, I don't think ANYONE can argue who cost us that match. Absolutely pathetic defending, turned inside out time and again, and costing us a goal. How many more times?, and not let anyone have any comebacks on it?

How about Whing's sitter? Knock it in, and we'd have drawn.

Mayo didn't f*** up - he was beaten; different scenario. How many time would you say the opposition were to blame if we had scored a goal when their full-back had been done? Or maybe you might have considered it a good bit of skill?

You have also missed one vital point. It wasn't the winger who beat Mayo that scored - it was the unmarked forward in the box.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Absolutely. Mayo WAS at fault for the goal, but why are the people who state this instantly presumed to be saying he was shit for the whole game? I don't think anyone's said his entire 45 minutes were poor, mainly because it wasn't. For what it's worth, I'd say yesterday was a typical Mayo performance. Fairly solid for long periods, distribution hit and miss, but the killer being one of those all too common goal-conceding mistakes that everyone remembers.

They are not saying he is shit all game.It only takes one mistake and that can cost you a game.This is what people are pissed off with the most.Mayo has a habbit of costing us points.Either he is beaten quite easily or he switches off that spilt second(Crewe)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Absolutely. Mayo WAS at fault for the goal, but why are the people who state this instantly presumed to be saying he was shit for the whole game? I don't think anyone's said his entire 45 minutes were poor, mainly because it wasn't. For what it's worth, I'd say yesterday was a typical Mayo performance. Fairly solid for long periods, distribution hit and miss, but the killer being one of those all too common goal-conceding mistakes that everyone remembers.

Only Mayo was to blame for the goal? Not so.

Is it so important for you to have a scapegoat? Why is that? Whatever happened to something the team believes in - collective responsibility.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
:lolol:

Oh dear.

You think you can close the Mayo debate once and for all with your own finely-tuned parting shot I know all the usual suspects will slate me, but sorry, I don't think ANYONE can argue who cost us that match. Absolutely pathetic defending, turned inside out time and again, and costing us a goal. How many more times?, and not let anyone have any comebacks on it?

How about Whing's sitter? Knock it in, and we'd have drawn.

Mayo didn't f*** up - he was beaten; different scenario. How many time would you say the opposition were to blame if we had scored a goal when their full-back had been done? Or maybe you might have considered it a good bit of skill?

You have also missed one vital point. It wasn't the winger who beat Mayo that scored - it was the unmarked forward in the box.

You obviously don't know what the word "assist" is.The player who beat Mayo done all the hard work.It was just a case for the other player to slot the ball home.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only Mayo was to blame for the goal? Not so.

Is it so important for you to have a scapegoat? Why is that? Whatever happened to something the team believes in - collective responsibility.

Sadly, by scamming another year out of the club that most polled fans disagree with, Mayo is going just have to pay the price for the slightest high-profile error. That's just how it is.

Factoid:

Last season's two most popular shouts from H block row F were:

a) 'Sort it out Wilkins!" (normally about 15 minutes into the game when the diamond formation had gone pear-shaped and the midfield had gone missing and we were 1-0 or 2-0 down)

b) 'f*** OFF Mayo'. There was genuine CONTEMPT for the fellow. Good and faithful servant or non-good and faithful servant.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
At least we can safely say Richards will be first choice left back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, I absolutely agree. I've never said Mayo's a liability for 90 minutes, or that he can't do anything right. My problem has always been that he can act and play like a responsible professional for 89 minutes but always seems to use the spare 1 minute to concede penalties/free kicks, get totally skinned by a winger, or comically assist the other team with their attempts to score. If he could cut out the 1 minute of shit he'd be decent, but at 30 years old he's hardly likely to now.

To be fair, FDM also has comedy moments, like his air shot yesterday in the first half. But to be fairer he'd stopped about nine shots on goal by then.

Mayo will always huff and puff to keep pace with speedier forwards. He tends to finally catch up with them round about the time they reach the penalty area whereupon he will put in a clumsy lardy challenge and concede a penalty. Same will happen this season. Nothing surer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here