Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legends Match and Brighton vs Charlton: (Un)Offical Thread

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Adams said in the after match interview he will be having words with one or two of the players who were poor.I wonder who?

It won't be Kerry, that's for sure.

:rolleyes:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Adams said in the after match interview he will be having words with one or two of the players who were poor.I wonder who?

He could be having a lot of conversations this season with Thomson then.....

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The last thing I'm going to start now is another Mayo debate. We've had plenty this week already, and I'm sure people are incredibly bored by them. However, Richards was fairly solid in the first half, and Mayo simply wasn't. Charlton had some good players of course, but they weren't amazing. It was more us being lacklustre all over the pitch. For the goal, their winger got the ball on the right about 25-30 yards out, ran at Mayo, turned him one way then another, Mayo was nowhere even close, and that resulted in the winger being through on goal. He cut it back, and the striker popped it in.

One very important point that you have failed to take into account, OR EVEN MENTION is that the Charlton winger that got past to set up the goal didn't get onto the pitch until AFTER Richards had been subbed, and given that wingers pace, he would PROBABLY EVEN CAUSED RICHARDS TROUBLE, given that there were times last season that Richards looked slow, and also, for most of the second half Mayo kept him quiet - as said before, You could also blame the central defenders too, but why, what good does it do?

IT astounds me how much stick Mayo gets, most of which is unjustified, He is a good, solid defender, the type of player we need in the squad.

It was a pre-season friendly, and the players are building up ready for the new season, You win nothing by playing brilliantly in these types of games, at this stage it's more about fitness.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I notice Crewe also played yesterday - beat Hull 4-0. Let's just hope they've peaked too soon - or perhaps we shouldn't read too much into a friendly?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The last thing I'm going to start now is another Mayo debate. We've had plenty this week already, and I'm sure people are incredibly bored by them. However, Richards was fairly solid in the first half, and Mayo simply wasn't. Charlton had some good players of course, but they weren't amazing. It was more us being lacklustre all over the pitch. For the goal, their winger got the ball on the right about 25-30 yards out, ran at Mayo, turned him one way then another, Mayo was nowhere even close, and that resulted in the winger being through on goal. He cut it back, and the striker popped it in.

Anyway, as I said, despite being totally at fault for the goal, he wasn't the only problem. I know it's only a friendly, but I think we should be in better shape than this two weeks before the season. The whole midfield in both halves were tired looking and way off the pace. The lack of creativity in that midfield is quite obvious, and Murray and Forster looked totally pissed off with the dearth of service. Defensively we're good, but I can see Adams being over-reliant on this side of our game. We need flair as well to open up shit teams who put ten behind the ball at Withdean.

Your criticism of Mayo really is getting tedious now.

How on earth you could pick Mayo out as the only poor performance yesterday quite honestly beggars belief. Your problem is you have such an issue with Mayo you can't give the guy a balanced judgment on his performance. I bet you could not wait for the first misplaced pass yesterday so you could run home to your keyboard and wank yourself dry over the attention you get laying into him.

I actually thought he showed some good touches yesterday he sprayed a long crossfield ball to Forster nearly creating a chance and had a few nice touches here and there.

You could have picked three players out who were equally at fault for the goal but it sits so better with your anti Mayo campaign to single Kerry out.

NONE of the team exactly player well yesterday but this is a friendly and both teams seemed contented to play the game at training ground pace.

Then I also see in another post you are questioning our credentials for the coming season based on our training pace performance against Championship opposition. This only furthers my belief your knowledge of the game is fairly limited and your ramblings continue to be nothing more than monotonous drivel

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I notice Crewe also played yesterday - beat Hull 4-0. Let's just hope they've peaked too soon - or perhaps we shouldn't read too much into a friendly?

Doesn't the Premiership start a couple of weeks after us, maybe it was one of Hull's 1st games, with plenty of new players and they were taking it less seriously than Crewe.

*clutchesstrawsdesperately*

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Your criticism of Mayo really is getting tedious now.

How on earth you could pick Mayo out as the only poor performance yesterday quite honestly beggars belief. Your problem is you have such an issue with Mayo you can't give the guy a balanced judgment on his performance. I bet you could not wait for the first misplaced pass yesterday so you could run home to your keyboard and wank yourself dry over the attention you get laying into him.

I actually thought he showed some good touches yesterday he sprayed a long crossfield ball to Forster nearly creating a chance and had a few nice touches here and there.

You could have picked three players out who were equally at fault for the goal but it sits so better with your anti Mayo campaign to single Kerry out.

NONE of the team exactly player well yesterday but this is a friendly and both teams seemed contented to play the game at training ground pace.

Then I also see in another post you are questioning our credentials for the coming season based on our training pace performance against Championship opposition. This only furthers my belief your knowledge of the game is fairly limited and your ramblings continue to be nothing more than monotonous drivel

So let's hope that Mayo starts against Crewe then and features in the first team a lot this season. I can't wait.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
So let's hope that Mayo starts against Crewe then and features in the first team a lot this season. I can't wait.

No lets not hope he starts against Crewe as that will be what Matt Richards is doing as he is our 1st choice left back.

Mayo is backup that is why he is on lower wages and the idea is he plays if for any reason Matt Richards cannot

Are you following the idea for the coming season now? See you don't have to get as worked up about Mayo as you do. Comforting isn't it?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
No lets not hope he starts against Crewe as that will be what Matt Richards is doing as he is our 1st choice left back.

Mayo is backup that is why he is on lower wages and the idea is he plays if for any reason Matt Richards cannot

Are you following the idea for the coming season now? See you don't have to get as worked up about Mayo as you do. Comforting isn't it?

It would have been a lot more comforting had he moved to Lewes.

:D:D

It was a dull game from a BHA point of view and no one came out of it with any credit except FDM and Nicky Forster.

What concerned me was the inability to maintain possession even though we were playing a reasonable looking Championship team. I sincerely hope Tuesday is more encouraging.

For my six penny worth KM didn't do a bad job at LB and doesn't deserve such criticism.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was a dull game from a BHA point of view and no one came out of it with any credit except FDM and Nicky Forster.

What concerned me was the inability to maintain possession even though we were playing a reasonable looking Championship team. I sincerely hope Tuesday is more encouraging.

For my six penny worth KM didn't do a bad job at LB and doesn't deserve such criticism.
I'd agree with that, it WAS a dull game and I enjoyed the legends game more. The starting eleven at Crewe will be Kuipers, Forster and nine others. On yesterdays' showing it really doesn't matter which nine as they were all much of a muchness and no one stood out as really good or really crap - they all had their 'moments' both good and bad.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I think we pretty much all agree( :eek::eek::eek:) that our best midfield will be McLeod, Thompson Livermore and Coxy. Did we see that yesterday? No. Micky chose to keep everyone guessing by playing the central midfield duo in the first half and the wide men in the 2nd half. So what did we learn then? f*** all so let's not worry about it.

There were some OK individual performances I thought: Elphick, Whingy, Lynch and Richards looked solid so defensively we look OK. Kerry did OK too as back up. Livermore looks to be competitive in the Charlie mode and Forster looked lively.

Be nice to see the first team on Tuesday though!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm thinking of starting a thread where we can "out" NSC users, just to give everyone else a context for their comments.

There would be a Kerry Mayo haters - with a list of users who consisitently slag off KM

There would be a Wilkins Lovers thread - for those that keep relating everything back to Deano and who will never give the new manager credit for anything

etc etc. You get the picture.

It great that everyone has a view on here - not so great that they are sometimes less than honest about their position as they present what appear to be "unbiased" comments.

Note my signature. Want to be clear.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

What a stupid comment. I think pretty much everyone wants Richards to start and hopes he signs permanently. What Mayo can do is provide soild back up (as he did last year when Richards was injured or did you not see those games), he is happy to fight for his place and is on much cheaper wages. I cannot believe some idiots are slagging off our players before the season has even started.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think we pretty much all agree( :eek::eek::eek:) that our best midfield will be McLeod, Thompson Livermore and Coxy. Did we see that yesterday? No. Micky chose to keep everyone guessing by playing the central midfield duo in the first half and the wide men in the 2nd half. So what did we learn then? f*** all so let's not worry about it.

There were some OK individual performances I thought: Elphick, Whingy, Lynch and Richards looked solid so defensively we look OK. Kerry did OK too as back up. Livermore looks to be competitive in the Charlie mode and Forster looked lively.

Be nice to see the first team on Tuesday though!

I would imagine that the first team will either play on Tuesday or at Luton (maybe both)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
What a stupid comment. I think pretty much everyone wants Richards to start and hopes he signs permanently. What Mayo can do is provide soild back up (as he did last year when Richards was injured or did you not see those games), he is happy to fight for his place and is on much cheaper wages. I cannot believe some idiots are slagging off our players before the season has even started.

IMHO Mayo is not good enough to be a back up LB in League 1. That is my problem. If that makes me an idiot that's fine but I know that a lot of folks on NSC who agree with me.

:thumbsup:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
IMHO Mayo is not good enough to be a back up LB in League 1. That is my problem. If that makes me an idiot that's fine but I know that a lot of folks on NSC who agree with me.

:thumbsup:

I was impressed last season with Mayo's play but yesterday he was outplayed by a very skillful winger. Doubt if there will be that standard in this season's opponents so he should be able to perform the back up role. Mind you all I could hear leaving the ground were anti Mayo comments and why oh why was he signed?

Thought Richards looked good and given he is not really match fit that is encouraging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here