Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legends Match and Brighton vs Charlton: (Un)Offical Thread

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
we'll just have to wait & see...I hardly think that the players are going to work their bollocks off on a game like todays and risk picking up an injury for the first game of the season.

Badger said that if Charlton were trying they could have had more goals, but surely that could be said for the Albion aswell?

I don't know why people continue to place so much importance on friendlies both at club and international level...

Personally, I'd rather wait til after the Orient game to see how we're gonna do this season and not make knee jerk comments because we didn't beat a team who are favourites to go up to the Prem this season!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Very little service for the front 2, Murray appears to be lazy at times - no spark - we have the solid workman type players but we still need one flair/creative player in midfield - Racon ran the show (shame we couldn't afford him):nono: !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know all the usual suspects will slate me, but sorry, I don't think ANYONE can argue who cost us that match. Absolutely pathetic defending, turned inside out time and again, and costing us a goal. How many more times?

Didn't go so obviously have no idea what actually happened but I am pretty sure that Charlton must have had some players with pace and skill on the right which is always Kerry's undoing these days. I can't see that League 1 teams will have players of the same quality as Charlton so maybe it's not quite as bad as you might fear, apart from the fact that he is unlikely to be 1st choice either?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Poor service for front two. Murray AGAIN got caught offside too many times, McCleod looked good. We were relatively solid in both halves despite having about 5% of the posession. Mayo looks a better bet going forward than defending, Kuipers was still on the mark, we still lack a creative midfielder.

That said Charlton looked a very decent side, far better than anything in League One.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh and I was disappointed for OGH on the turn out. Thought he deserved better than that, thank god for the Charlton fans!!

A couple of things I'll add here. Yes, Mayo was beaten by the winger and had time to pick out a pass, BUT the striker should have been closed down well before he got the shot away. IMO Lynch is almost as much at fault as Mayo as he was nowhere.

Albion did have a couple of chances, especially when Whing was one on one and missed. We didn't look like doing a lot going forward, but didn't look THAT bad either.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Anyone care to talk any more shit about Mayo and the match without seeing the game today?

(vulture, zebedee)

I think enough has been said already. There will be plenty more opportunities to have a dig at Kerry as the season progresses.

:angel:

PS. Although I couldn't get to the game today, I did buy a ticket.:p

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Thought Brighton played well today. They defended well in the first half when Charlton were dominant and played a lot better in the second and were unlucky to concede.

Kuipers was MotM for me...superb first half display.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I thought we were better in the second half than the first, Andrew Whing had the best chance for us - in fact it was our best attacking move, they scored because no-one challenged their striker in the box, Kane Wills looked lively when he came on, otherwise the back-pass was the order of the day.

Let's hope they've learnt a few lessons before Tuesday.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Taking into account both the "legends" game and the main event, the most impressive performance of the whole day was from Neville Southall.

Make of that what you like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here