Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Legend'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"'Legend' is a word that far too often over-used..." is probably a phrase that far too often over-used.

Therefore can we define what makes a 'legend' - specifically in terms of the history and culture of Brighton & Hove Albion? The first part would need to ascertain what those criteria are; the second part being who fits those criteria.

Part 1. What are the criteria that make a 'legend'? And does this person need to fulful all of them to qualify? Let's narrow it down to, say, five main ones. I'll throw in my five, and see where this goes. These are not necessarily in any specific order.

• Quality of player on the pitch

Over to you...

I'd replace the word 'quality' with 'remarkable achievements', i.e. Chopper Harris of Chelsea is a legend mainly because of his propensity for fouling / injuring the then opposition. Hans Kraay is also something of an Albion legend for his fouling, but also his ability to put off the goalkeeper at corners by jumping up and down right in front of them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That was my point, can the subjectivity be eradicated in favour of defined criteria?

Tricky, but is it possible?

Is it possible? Not IMHO.

The Oatway thread yesterday probably proved it. For me legend, for the OP on that thread legend but not for everyone. I'll throw out a few random borderline or controversial cases and see:

Poyet? (*ducks*)

Danny Cullip?

Mike Small?

Garry Nelson?

Frank Worthington?

Mickey Adams?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
does player even have to be with BHAFC..?

article-2186011-147A006D000005DC-774_634x590.jpg

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I read this and immediately thought of some of my drinking pals from 20 or so years ago....

• Longevity of service (min. five years?), as a regular team drinker
• Quality of staying power. 6-11 a must.
• (Pretty much unanimous) popularity among the regulars
• Attitude to licensed hours and lock-in activities
• Approachable and attractive personality even after 12 pints

This qualifies you for the "Legend in Your Own Lunchtime" award

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I don't think longevity is necessary criteria. I know many West Ham fans who will always regard Tevez as a club legend and he only made 26 appearances!

Exactly, what about Storer and Reinelt? Albion legends without a doubt yet both only had pretty short careers with us.

D

Deleted member 2719

Exactly, what about Storer and Reinelt? Albion legends without a doubt yet both only had pretty short careers with us.

Disagree Reinelt was pants but scored an important goal, now players such as Webb and Wilkins surely must be club legends.

Here we go!

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Disagree Reinelt was pants but scored an important goal, now players such as Webb and Wilkins surely must be club legends.

Here we go!
Your right Reinelt was a bit shit but proves the point that longevity is not a required to achieve legendary status it just takes one defining moment and as defining moments go his takes some beating'

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
any Brighton player that has scored a winner against palace

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps some of those suggested would fall into the category of "cult hero" rather than "legend", no?

Hans Kraay, Charlie Oatway, John Crumplin, Paul McShane etc.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
It is very subjective.
Kit Napier for me was a true legend but most on here never saw him to know why, and whilst I genuinely don't consider many of our players or back room staff over the last twenty years to merit legend status (Bobby Zamora, Dick Knight and Tony Bloom aside) I would suggest that Inigo Calderon meets the criteria in most respects.
Sometimes it's about contribution on the pitch; sometimes off; and sometimes it is about the person.
We will all have different views.[/QUOTE]

I saw Kit Napier play many times and he was an awesome player to watch in that era, but probably not a legend in my opinion.

But your last line is spot on correct as far as I am concerned, we will all have different views on who are legends and who are not, I am not to sure there is any set criteria for a legend, each individual will have their own reasons for giving someone the level of legend, I would have thought.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Perhaps some of those suggested would fall into the category of "cult hero" rather than "legend", no?

Hans Kraay, Charlie Oatway, John Crumplin, Paul McShane etc.

they used to do thse cult heroes on football focus,quite interesting seeing other clubs cult heroes

seem to recall ours being lawro & wardy

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
"'Legend' is a word that far too often over-used..." is probably a phrase that far too often over-used.

Therefore can we define what makes a 'legend' - specifically in terms of the history and culture of Brighton & Hove Albion? The first part would need to ascertain what those criteria are; the second part being who fits those criteria.

Part 1. What are the criteria that make a 'legend'? And does this person need to fulful all of them to qualify? Let's narrow it down to, say, five main ones. I'll throw in my five, and see where this goes. These are not necessarily in any specific order.

• Longevity of service (min. five years?), as a player or part of the coaching team
• Quality of player on the pitch
• (Pretty much unanimous) popularity among the supporters
• Attitude to on- and off-field activities
• Approachable and attractive personality

That's five just for a start. What else would need to be considered?

Over to you...

That's so, so true. Whoever wrote that is a legend.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Calderon's been at the club for 4 years and tried to leave after the first. How can that qualify as a 'legend' when used in the exact same bracket as someone like Peter Ward?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mark Beeney saved the club from a winding up order by agreeing to a move, that was not of his preference, as I understand.

You could also put Adam Virgo's move to Celtic in that category as his 1.5 million fee paid a very important tax bill. There is also the small matter of an extra time last minute header.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'd replace the word 'quality' with 'remarkable achievements', i.e. Chopper Harris of Chelsea is a legend mainly because of his propensity for fouling / injuring the then opposition. Hans Kraay is also something of an Albion legend for his fouling, but also his ability to put off the goalkeeper at corners by jumping up and down right in front of them.

Also "Chopper" is a legend by being made to look a turd on the pitch by Sir Stanley Matthews, no less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here