Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Legal type help: Relatively minor new car trouble

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
My Dad got a new car recently (a MG HS). Since getting it the radio hasn't worked properly. He cant store DAB pre-sets and the FM radio has no RDS. Obviously these aren't major issues but more annoying.

Apparently, this is a known issue and a result of the Ukraine/Covid chip issues, i.e. the radio wasn't built properly. Despite this being a known and accepted issue, there is no fix and the MG garage haven't offered any kind of compensation. He has tried badgering them but they wont do anything. He has tried sending letters and contacted Trading Standards but isn't getting anywhere.

Obviously this isn't a major issue, like the brakes not working, but is there anything he can do or expect? Ultimately he has bought a new car and it doesn't work as it should.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
This won’t improve your Dad’s mood. I have seen quite a few articles and Youtube videos on their pretty well non existent customer service in rectifying problems. One of the reviews covers something similar to your Dad’s problems, the guy seemed to get nowhere :down:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's a very simple contractual issue. What was sold doesn't work !

So your Dad should ask them how much it would cost to replace the radio unit with a working one. Once he has that price then tell them he will take them to the Small Claims Court for that cost plus incidental costs ( Small Claims Court is easy to get going online - https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money ) and doesn't cost very much and if you win you can claim the costs ( just as long as you indicate you will claim costs in the application ).

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This won’t improve your Dad’s mood. I have seen quite a few articles and Youtube videos on their pretty well non existent customer service in rectifying problems. One of the reviews covers something similar to your Dad’s problems, the guy seemed to get nowhere :down:

I wont show him this! 🥴

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It's a very simple contractual issue. What was sold doesn't work !

So your Dad should ask them how much it would cost to replace the radio unit with a working one. Once he has that price then tell them he will take them to the Small Claims Court for that cost plus incidental costs ( Small Claims Court is easy to get going online - https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money ) and doesn't cost very much and if you win you can claim the costs ( just as long as you indicate you will claim costs in the application ).
The issue is that, apparently, it cant be fixed or replaced. The only way to get a fully working radio would be to have a new car, with a fully working radio.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The issue is that, apparently, it cant be fixed or replaced. The only way to get a fully working radio would be to have a new car, with a fully working radio.
I struggle to believe they don't sell different models of radios in their cars. If the remedy is to have a new car then clearly they DO have working radios. Just take one out of a new car with a working radio and fit it to your Dad's. Otherwise just switch your Dad's new car with a new car with a working radio. I'd still threaten with legal action.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Possibly because they are noctural. Try unleashing the badgers at night when they tend to be more active.
boo yes GIF by BBC Earth

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
One of my friends has the same problem with his MG which is less than 4 months old. Also the auto boot lid only works sporadically when shutting. All told to the dealer but as yet no remedy

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I struggle to believe they don't sell different models of radios in their cars. If the remedy is to have a new car then clearly they DO have working radios. Just take one out of a new car with a working radio and fit it to your Dad's. Otherwise just switch your Dad's new car with a new car with a working radio. I'd still threaten with legal action.
I don't understand fully, but think it's because it's not really a radio per se, it's the whole system and the chip is faulty(?). Going by what my Dad says, if it was possible to swap over they would have done it, but it isn't.

They have offered to do a part exchange deal on the new version though, at the going rate:ffsparr:

Based on this limited experience, and reading other people's comments, definitely reccomend avoiding MG at all costs!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems the question is do you want a fix or some compensation? for the former seems you are hosed, unless you can fit an aftermarket radio? if the latter, small claims for the inconveinence of loss of a sub-feature of a minor feature of the car. swapping cars over a radio defect seems a little dramatic.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
seems the question is do you want a fix or some compensation? for the former seems you are hosed, unless you can fit an aftermarket radio? if the latter, small claims for the inconveinence of loss of a sub-feature of a minor feature of the car. swapping cars over a radio defect seems a little dramatic.
Well, ideally he wanted a fix, but that seems impossible. As such, I think he should be compensated, although not sure how you quantify the cost/loss of a faulty, albeit working, radio. Don't think it will be worth all the hassle.

Seems the moral of the story is avoid MG cars.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I would suggest talking to a solicitor. On the face of it, it seems like a fairly simple issue (you've paid for a car with a working radio and got a car without a working radio) and you're likely to find a solicitor that will take it on a "no win, no fee" basis.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would suggest talking to a solicitor. On the face of it, it seems like a fairly simple issue (you've paid for a car with a working radio and got a car without a working radio) and you're likely to find a solicitor that will take it on a "no win, no fee" basis.
Small Claims Court would be cheaper shirley?

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
I have looked at MGEV’s Community and it would appear this has been dragging on for at least a year for buyers of the MG HS not just in the UK but across Europe as well so the MG dealer who sold your Dad the car must have been aware of the problem
As you say there is no fix at the moment and the discontent among MG HS owners has led some to considering a Class Action against MG
Another course of action is to involve the Motor Ombudsman
Finally I found this but not sure if it applies to faulty radios and whether the dealer was notified within 30 days

‘If you report a problem within the first 30 days, and you can demonstrate that the car fails to meet the standards required under the law (note that the burden is on you to prove it, not for the seller to disprove it), you are entitled to receive a full refund for the car.’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here