Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal Question wanted answering

D

Deleted User X18H

The proximate cause in this case would appear to be the original fell.
However who is responsible for the rotten branch ?
Liability may be with the owner of that tree who appears to be your son .
Has the car owner reported this loss to his insurer . It is non fault there is no reason not to do so.
Advise him to so . If he has, his insurer will initiate subrogation proceedings against your son's property insurer .
If the car owner hasn't reported loss , request to see repair or TL invoice. Then advise he will need to instigate court proceedings .

He won't .

D

Deleted User X18H

The Tree Surgeon is taking a great risk doing private work without PI PL or even some EL coverage . Are you SURE he has none of these ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Tree Surgeon is taking a great risk doing private work without PI PL or even some EL coverage . Are you SURE he has none of these ?

Agreed.

And the part about 'not working for his employer' - if he arrived in his employer's van, and used his employer's tools, the customer could very easily argue that they felt it was a professional arrangement.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
The proximate cause in this case would appear to be the original fell.
However who is responsible for the rotten branch ?
Liability may be with the owner of that tree who appears to be your son .
Has the car owner reported this loss to his insurer . It is non fault there is no reason not to do so.
Advise him to so . If he has, his insurer will initiate subrogation proceedings against your son's property insurer .
If the car owner hasn't reported loss , request to see repair or TL invoice. Then advise he will need to instigate court proceedings .

He won't .
I would not make assumptions about the proximate cause. Too many questions need answering before you can assume anything. Also the son's HH insurers will only be involved if he's sensible enough to notify them. There might or might not be motor insurers as well.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I would have thought that the owner of a tree that overhangs a public way/road is responsible for the maintenance of that tree. The offending branch seems like it was an accident waiting to happen if it was that rotte, so I don't see how the tree surgeon could be directly responsible.

I don't know if home insurance would cover it?

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I would have thought that the owner of a tree that overhangs a public way/road is responsible for the maintenance of that tree. The offending branch seems like it was an accident waiting to happen if it was that rotte, so I don't see how the tree surgeon could be directly responsible.

I don't know if home insurance would cover it?
He needs to notify them and allow them to investigate. If he doesn't he could end up with having to pay 3k plus another 3k or so for legal costs.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
My son got a tree surgeon who was a friend of a neighbour to fell 2 large trees from my sons garden in February .
When they were felled into his garden the crash of the trunk hitting the ground caused a rotten branch from an adjoining tree to fall to the ground and hit a car driving down a road at the side of his property .
The tree sugeon left his name and number to the driver and that was that.
8 MONTHS later the tree surgeon gets in contact with my son and says the person who owns the car wants £3000 for the damage to his car.
Apparantly as the tree surgeon was doing it as a cash sale and not for his employer he isn't covered for insurance.
Where does my son stand on this as it seems a bit fishy to me.

1/ Is it down to the tree surgeon even though he was doing it himself?
2/ is 8 months too long after the incident and should the driver had contacted his car insurance and come back sooner regarding damage?
3/ As it was from another tree and not the felled tree is it classed as a act of god ?

The fact that the other tree falling caused the rotten branch on the other tree to fall suggests that the rotten branch was precarious to say the least and could have fallen at any time in the future, possibly in the wind, and could have actually fallen on somebody rather than a car. Unfortunately, I would see this as being the responsibility of the tree owner who has failed in his basic duty to ensure that the other tree which he owns is maintained in a safe condition. Same would apply if a tile had fallen off his house.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
NO! Tell his house insurers. They will want to appoint their own Lawyers who know what they are doing IF the matter proceeds to litigation.

By all means discuss it with a Lawyer if he'a a family friend who'll give a free consultation but …blah blah… his house insurers.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My son got a tree surgeon who was a friend of a neighbour to fell 2 large trees from my sons garden in February .
When they were felled into his garden the crash of the trunk hitting the ground caused a rotten branch from an adjoining tree to fall to the ground and hit a car driving down a road at the side of his property .
The tree sugeon left his name and number to the driver and that was that.
8 MONTHS later the tree surgeon gets in contact with my son and says the person who owns the car wants £3000 for the damage to his car.
Apparantly as the tree surgeon was doing it as a cash sale and not for his employer he isn't covered for insurance.
Where does my son stand on this as it seems a bit fishy to me.

1/ Is it down to the tree surgeon even though he was doing it himself?
2/ is 8 months too long after the incident and should the driver had contacted his car insurance and come back sooner regarding damage?
3/ As it was from another tree and not the felled tree is it classed as a act of god ?

Very interesting. I would not admit to the facts as outlined . I would not admit to he causation of the trunk hitting the ground resulted in the sequence of events. I would defend the negligence claim and suggest the responsibilty of the tree with the rotten branch was the responsibility of the owner of that tree. Tree expert lawyer will look for precedents.

This is why defendants need a lawyer. Circumstantial evidence is evidence that relies on an inference to connect it to a conclusion of fact.

Inference drawn between the connection between the two events is arguable, may be regarded as valid? Tree surgeon may have not had the opportunity to inspect the rotten branch.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
NO! Tell his house insurers. They will want to appoint their own Lawyers who know what they are doing IF the matter proceeds to litigation.

It all seems very fishy. An alleged accident occurs and nobody seems to know about it for 8 months, apart from the car driver and/or owner, yet somehow seem to know the sequence of events i.e. the impact of a tree hitting the ground causing a rotten branch to fall. How the heck do we know that happened? Someone out of the blue claims damage to a car and doesn't claim from the owner of the property but against the friend of a friend who was chopping down the tree. How does the car owner know to contact the chap cutting the tree. Why the delay? Was he driving around in a damaged car for months? We don't know if the car was insured? Stinky!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It all seems very fishy. An alleged accident occurs and nobody seems to know about it for 8 months, apart from the car driver and/or owner, yet somehow seem to know the sequence of events i.e. the impact of a tree hitting the ground causing a rotten branch to fall. How the heck do we know that happened? Someone out of the blue claims damage to a car and doesn't claim from the owner of the property but against the friend of a friend who was chopping down the tree. How does the car owner know to contact the chap cutting the tree. Why the delay? Was he driving around in a damaged car for months? We don't know if the car was insured? Stinky!

It sounds that the insurance company is trying to find out who is at fault ???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Why do you say it was an alleged accident? The OP states that the tree surgeon knew about it when it happened and it may well be that the OP's son was there at the time although he might confirm this.

When I first read it quickly, I didn't appreciate that the felled tree didn't hit the other branch but that the vibration from the impact caused it to fall. As it was described as an adjoining tree, it's probably fair to assume that it was also in the garden of the OP's son. I would suggest the onus is going to fall on him (no pun intended) rather than the tree surgeon hence he should be involving his household insurers. Is it reasonably to expect the tree surgeon to do an assessment on every tree around, every shed or anything else. d

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Why do you say it was an alleged accident? The OP states that the tree surgeon knew about it when it happened and it may well be that the OP's son was there at the time although he might confirm this.

When I first read it quickly, I didn't appreciate that the felled tree didn't hit the other branch but that the vibration from the impact caused it to fall. As it was described as an adjoining tree, it's probably fair to assume that it was also in the garden of the OP's son. I would suggest the onus is going to fall on him (no pun intended) rather than the tree surgeon hence he should be involving his household insurers. Is it reasonably to expect the tree surgeon to do an assessment on every tree around, every shed or anything else. d
Sorry I missed the bit about the driver taking the tree feller's details. I'm an idiot!. BTW Who were the other 2 fellers? Ha!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here