Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

legal beagles?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You are right I dont but being a layman I wouldn't be too perturbed if I was charged with that and would expect my solicitor to fight the charge based on the dictionary definition of damage and that no damage was caused. Reading the CPS site it appears that criminal damage comes in two levels either under or over £5000 so in this case the amount of damage would be negligible so hardly worth pursuing the issue.

Criminal damage can be permanent or non permanent. There are plenty of cases where something has been done to an individual's property which can subsequently be cleaned off. I am fairly confident your solicitor would not contest a charge on that basis. There is a possibility that they may argue another charge is more appropriate, but in the absence of that, it cannot be argued that property was not damaged, otherwise a graffiti tagger would be able to argue that because their paint was subsequently washed off a wall, it does not constitute an offence. There are also public interest arguments to be taken into account. But that is not one for your solicitor, more for the crown prosecutor to decide.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
EK I bow to your greater knowledge on this but it seems a very minor offence hardly worth the club or police pursing other than of course the clubs employment status if the person is employed by the club as stated previously and of course their good name which is being ridiculed at the moment,.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
EK I bow to your greater knowledge on this but it seems a very minor offence hardly worth the club or police pursing other than of course the clubs employment status if the person is employed by the club as stated previously and of course their good name which is being ridiculed at the moment,.

So you'd be quite happy for me to go unpunished if I slipped a log through your letter box and wrote "I love Grandad" in brown stuff on your wall?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

In your opinion.

If I'd spent £100m plus on a stadium and prior to the most important game there and this happened I'd certainly look at every avenue to punish the responsible person(s)

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
It's not just about how easy it is to wipe if off.

There are other charges such as 'acts outraging public decency' and 'concealing an arrestable offence' (assuming the perpetrator hasn't come clean yet).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not just about how easy it is to wipe if off.

There are other charges such as 'acts outraging public decency' and 'concealing an arrestable offence' (assuming the perpetrator hasn't come clean yet).

As I understand it, it was a messy pan in a cubicle, not spread on any walls or on the floor. It wouldn't have taken a cleaner long to clear it up.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Presumably the trial would be held in the No.2 Courtroom? The problem would surely be to prove that it was a deliberate act. The perpetrator could simply say they were checking the changing room and were caught short and had to do it there and then, they went out to get some cleaning materials but the away team arrived before they got back (or similar)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here