Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Left Wing Back

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought he looked quite good. I checked out the Fulham message board - they think he's hopeless! :shrug:

I'm surprised to have seen so many positive comments about him on this board over recent months. I put that down to people noticing him get forward and put in a cross, which he can do. However, if you look at his defensive qualities he is woefully lacking.

And given the gold standard for Fulham fans is Sessegnon I'm not surprised they don't rate this fella.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Ryan Bertrand is one of a number of Southampton players on £70k+ per week contracts. If he's rejecting a new offer, which I'd be surprised if worse than his current one, then presume he's shopping around for a better offer. Not sure we're quite in the market for £70k+ per week left backs...

70k :eek: Jeez

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Bertrand has been playing left back in a 4-4-2 rather than left wing back. Admittedly a bit restricted from there but his cross accuracy is 17%, which is worse than Dan Burn's who is our worst. He has one assist all season and created one big chance. Saints have conceded 62 goals compared to our 41 this season and he earns more than either of our incumbents.

Thats a no then haha

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm surprised to have seen so many positive comments about him on this board over recent months. I put that down to people noticing him get forward and put in a cross, which he can do. However, if you look at his defensive qualities he is woefully lacking.

And given the gold standard for Fulham fans is Sessegnon I'm not surprised they don't rate this fella.

Agree with this.

5 minutes of highlights on MOTD can give you a very misleading impression of some players. Yes, always involved in the attacks, but you don't see the massive gaps he's left behind.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I suppose if all are fit except Solly, you could argue that Veltman is the next best choice at LWB from within the club

So a back 5 of

----White Dunk Webster
Lamptey-----------Veltman

Burn and Ostigard or Clark would bolster the defensive options meaning Veltman would only be needed elsewhere if Tariq got injured again. Even then it's possible Karbownik would have progressed to match day squad standard by then

Most of this thread also assumes that Cochrane isn't deemed ready to be involve in a PL squad.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Pedraza would of been a good signing last season when he was £5m now Chelsea are looking at him for £35m

It's like buying shares isn't it, buying footballers.

What everyone wants to do, is buy when the stock is low and watch the value rise. Oh to have that crystal ball

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's like buying shares isn't it, buying footballers.

What everyone wants to do, is buy when the stock is low and watch the value rise. Oh to have that crystal ball
We need to trust our recruitment team more to bottle a £5m left back seems daft. When I see talk of Tap in Tammy I have to laugh
It will be a kid from some noddy league for £2m who then needs a season to adjust and will still be shit.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
No disrespect to anyone but has any of NSC's transfer suggestions ever come to fruition ?

Can't remember anyone mentioning Zeqiri, Moder or Lamptey before they showed up - but I expect I am wrong.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Callum Styles or Ryan Sessegnon would be exciting stuff.

Ryan Bertrand had his peak five or six or seven years ago and is at this point a mediocre player at this level.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No disrespect to anyone but has any of NSC's transfer suggestions ever come to fruition ?

Can't remember anyone mentioning Zeqiri, Moder or Lamptey before they showed up - but I expect I am wrong.

No you are quite right, and l feel sure that's whats going to happen in this window, few of us will have heard of any signings that we make.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

None of those were suggestions prior to the rumour though.

I believe that both Adam Lallana and Danny Welbeck were suggested by the legend that was Ben's Grandad several months before they actually signed. Arguably a case of stopped clock about his scouting talents there though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We need to trust our recruitment team more to bottle a £5m left back seems daft. When I see talk of Tap in Tammy I have to laugh
It will be a kid from some noddy league for £2m who then needs a season to adjust and will still be shit.

Except - In the last 2 transfer windows we’ve signed the top scorer in the championship that year and last season we signed an an experienced England /top 6 striker.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Can't remember anyone mentioning Zeqiri, Moder or Lamptey before they should owed up - but I expect I am wrong.

Yes. I suggested Jurgen Locadia the window before we signed him and way before any rumours started to circulate. https://www.northstandchat.com/show...s-and-strategy/page6&highlight=Jurgen+locadia

I also mentioned Dan Burn around that time also. My magic ball predictions haven’t been as accurate recently though!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Callum Styles or Ryan Sessegnon would be exciting stuff.

Ryan Bertrand had his peak five or six or seven years ago and is at this point a mediocre player at this level.

I'd add to this that Bertrand is (IMO) mediocre at best and not on (/looking for) mediocre wages. Not a great combo.

It just wouldn't make sense to sign someone as cover (I'm assuming Solly's going nowhere & is 1st choice) who would a) want to be 1st choice; b) command hefty wages; and c) have no re-sale value

If* we're going to sign someone on a big contract with little/no re-sale value, then I'd like to think it would only be to solve the one big problem in the squad - the lack of a natural, efficient finisher (like Man U's deal for Cavani, but realistically from the class level below).

*I very much doubt we will

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Bertrand has been playing left back in a 4-4-2 rather than left wing back. Admittedly a bit restricted from there but his cross accuracy is 17%, which is worse than Dan Burn's who is our worst. He has one assist all season and created one big chance. Saints have conceded 62 goals compared to our 41 this season and he earns more than either of our incumbents.

Just our man, then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here