Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Left back v Middlesborough

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If Chicken is not good enough, why is he on the bench and why have we not had him replaced for someone who is good enough?

Bong

As for being on the bench he is probably the only fit lb we have left. Earlier in the season wasn't even making the bench as we had others in the team or on the bench who could slot in during a game.

Probably hasn't left yet because no lower league side can pick up his wages, and not good enough for this level.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I was worried about Calderon being at left back this month, but he has not let us down and never really looked in trouble in any of the games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not defending, no, but we're missing the linking up and overlapping going forward that we had when Bong and Rosenior were playing there.

This has been evident in the lack lustre performances of Murphy of late but to be fair all balls to him are being given to him from the full backs right foot so inside of the defending full back. This makes it dificult for him to take them on outside as he did with the balls from Bong especially. How did he get Porsche performance of the month?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Not defending, no, but we're missing the linking up and overlapping going forward that we had when Bong and Rosenior were playing there.

Exactly this, calderon puts in a shift and you know what you are going to get, but getting forward or running at defenders is not in his game, or can't do it at this level. How many times the ball went wide, then he stopped and played the ball back to Uwe or Greer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To be fair who would have thought that we would lose two capable left backs in Bong and Rosenior, one is tough, two at the same time is very bad luck.

Not exactly true as LR was only a cover so we lost 1 established left back and should have brought in another cover. The 1 blip on the transfer dealings of CH and TB this season. Will we live to regret that decision not to bring one in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not exactly true as LR was only a cover so we lost 1 established left back and should have brought in another cover. The 1 blip on the transfer dealings of CH and TB this season. Will we live to regret that decision not to bring one in.

It wasn't a decision. Hughton said he looked at LB for a loan, but it wasn't possible to get one in.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Well LR played left back for Hull, i believe also in a cup final, so he was good cover for Bong. Ok there was a chance that Bong could get injured, but his injury unfortunately was long term. LR did a very good job as "cover", we were unbeaten and doing well..... just bad luck that two who could play the same position both got long term injuries.....hindsight is a wonderful. thing

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It wasn't a decision. Hughton said he looked at LB for a loan, but it wasn't possible to get one in.

Sorry I do not go with that had you added at the price they wanted to pay perhaps. An example is Zeki Fryers at Palace been around the Championship on loan etc so surely would have been a better option than Calderon.

As Soulman says about LR he was good cover for Bong with emphasis on cover and as it happened which nobody could have dreamed of we needed cover for him. Bringing in a player like Fryers would have allowed him to resume his normal position, if needed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry I do not go with that had you added at the price they wanted to pay perhaps. An example is Zeki Fryers at Palace been around the Championship on loan etc so surely would have been a better option than Calderon.

I read what he said in the Argus interview, but I expect you know better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read what he said in the Argus interview, but I expect you know better.

I fully accept what was in The Argus but do you believe that there was not a left back better than Calderon who was not in a Premier sides 25 man squad. I think there probably was but at a price. There was mention of Pocognoli of West Brom who turned it down to fight for a place at WBA but has done nothing so if money was flashed about he would no doubt have thought differently for a month. Not saying that is the complete answer but it would have been a means to an end. to help us overcome a problem.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I fully accept what was in The Argus but do you believe that there was not a left back better than Calderon who was not in a Premier sides 25 man squad. I think there probably was but at a price. There was mention of Pocognoli of West Brom who turned it down to fight for a place at WBA but has done nothing so if money was flashed about he would no doubt have thought differently for a month. Not saying that is the complete answer but it would have been a means to an end. to help us overcome a problem.

I can find no evidence that clubs are allowed to pay loan players signing on fees. So I don't believe there is the option to 'flash the cash'. And do you really want a player who would rather sit on the bench and collect a cheque than drop down a division and play, without the incentive of money? Do you really think he's going to be that bothered about playing for us?

Beyond that, left back is not a glory position. There isn't exactly a wealth of left back talent in football in general, I find it quite believable that it was hard to find a player who was willing to come to us for a month, whose parent club was willing to do a reasonable deal we could afford, who would be able to jump straight in and not need three or four weeks to get up to speed, who was significantly better than Calderon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can find no evidence that clubs are allowed to pay loan players signing on fees. So I don't believe there is the option to 'flash the cash'. And do you really want a player who would rather sit on the bench and collect a cheque than drop down a division and play, without the incentive of money? Do you really think he's going to be that bothered about playing for us?

Beyond that, left back is not a glory position. There isn't exactly a wealth of left back talent in football in general, I find it quite believable that it was hard to find a player who was willing to come to us for a month, whose parent club was willing to do a reasonable deal we could afford, who would be able to jump straight in and not need three or four weeks to get up to speed, who was significantly better than Calderon.

You mis understood my post I was not suggesting giving money to the player but paying the club a fee like Watford wanted for Vydra. I am sure that their maanaager could have hada word and said you might as well go for a month as you will not get a game here and if tthey are promoted may want you longer. I think most premier back ups would be better than Calderon and be able to walk into our team after a couple of training sessions. The one at WBA is a Belgium international so should have been no problem. It must be said that Calderon hasnt let us down nut I am sure we could have done better.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You mis understood my post I was not suggesting giving money to the player but paying the club a fee like Watford wanted for Vydra. I am sure that their maanaager could have hada word and said you might as well go for a month as you will not get a game here and if tthey are promoted may want you longer. I think most premier back ups would be better than Calderon and be able to walk into our team after a couple of training sessions. The one at WBA is a Belgium international so should have been no problem. It must be said that Calderon hasnt let us down nut I am sure we could have done better.

So, pay a club to force their player to come play for us? Do you really expect good performances from such a player in those circumstances?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So, pay a club to force their player to come play for us? Do you really expect good performances from such a player in those circumstances?

If he was made aware of the possibilities I am sure he would if he wanted to play football and as 28 year old international with the Euros coming up it would put him in the window. so Yes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If he was made aware of the possibilities I am sure he would if he wanted to play football and as 28 year old international with the Euros coming up it would put him in the window. so Yes.

All those points existed in the first place, yet the player still preferred to stay at west brom. If we offer west brom a bit of money, his attitude isn't going to change, and I think you're naive to think it will.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All those points existed in the first place, yet the player still preferred to stay at west brom. If we offer west brom a bit of money, his attitude isn't going to change, and I think you're naive to think it will.

Just my opinion that perhaps we didnt push hard enough for a replacement for Bong and relied too much on LR and Calderon but neither I nor anybody else on here know for sure what lengths the club were prepared to go to.bring one in.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Love Caldr but we need a left footer playing at left back.

Murphy's form has dipped with Calde playing behind him a lack of support in advanced positions. Let's give Chicksen a run out, it's make or break for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here