Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Left back understudy

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If Lamptey and March are both fit who are you playing left back if Pervis is injured or need rotating?

Both involved in creating goals in their last match and both played tremendously well.

A very tight selection call in my opinion.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wouldn't be disappointed with either.

#Fence

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sorry I'm going to spoil this one. I still think we should try and get a dedicated cover left back in January. As brilliant as Lamptey was on Thur and March yesterday it wont always work so well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Sorry I'm going to spoil this one. I still think we should try and get a dedicated cover left back in January. As brilliant as Lamptey was on Thur and March yesterday it wont always work so well.
Maybe. A long term replacement for Estupinan is surely on the shopping list.

But, I just wonder if Solly will spend the last 5 years of his career at full back rather than on the wing?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Depends on the game. Lamptey better offensively dribbling but March better defensively and better delivery
This!

But equally we could play March and Lamptey on the right for games where we expect to spend more time attacking

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think that the way we setup almost anyone can come in and play a passable left back, the system is geared for a progressive attacking role there with CB cover when maurading forward, and the presence of Mitoma keeps the opposition full back honest and so they rarely overlap their winger. I don't think it's a coincidence Lamptey and March have slotted in so seamlessly there.

Anyway the answer to the question is Lamptey

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And this is probably a slightly silly question ... but i'll pose it anyway.

Is Pervis nailed on to get his place back?

He's looked pretty tired this season, I think the world cup and the pressure of being the only LB at the club maybe got to him a little. Then two players have come in and had storming performances in his position.

Of course Pervis will play sometimes, I don't doubt that as everyone will. But if you asked me a few weeks ago, I'd have said that if fit, Dunky Mitoma, Gross and Pervis will play pretty much every game and won't be rotated out in the same way as the rest of the team will. I'm just wondering if we're down to Dunky, Gross and Mitoma with that one.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Does this mean we scrap a potential plan to buy a left back understudy in January? I assume we would have looked at that if Lamptey & March had not done an adequate job there.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
We still have a very strong interest in Valentin Barco from Boca. He will be moving in January,

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We still have a very strong interest in Valentin Barco from Boca. He will be moving in January,
I agree, if we can get Barco we will. But we're strong second favourites

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Lamptey is first swap at both left and right back.

Good to know Solly is more than capable at filling in at left back though if required.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
With some of the errors of recent games could we play both with Lamptey on the right and March on the left?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Maybe. A long term replacement for Estupinan is surely on the shopping list.

But, I just wonder if Solly will spend the last 5 years of his career at full back rather than on the wing?
The way he was playing yesterday, I found myself wondering if he might come in to Southgate’s plans (if he has such things as plans) as a full back!

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I think as fans we need to start moving away from this 11 set positions and 'first choice / understudy' approach. I genuinely think we're moving towards something more fluid than that. It's quite exciting to watch it develop really.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
With dahoud’s passing - he seems to be able to pass the ball onto a six pence he would be great at left back with our style of building up from the back.

If he had been in our defence against Manu at Wembley he might well have got the ball through their midfield to give us more chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here