Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

leeds utd

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
just hope leeds dont lose to orient (who's bubble has burst) , then we can play them being massive underdogs with chance to be headliners. I actually fancy us to raise our game for this one especially if we can also remain unbeaten until we play them

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
It is, but my gf is forcing me to Cuba.

I imagine, they know it was 3 points or nothing, so whilst a lot of sides would have settled for a draw over the last 10 minutes, they are still throwing men forward.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
What is the latest with the Inland Revenue btw, are they still after the £7 million in unpaid tax?

they never had a case. they were trying to use us as an example to the fl because hrmc are no longer preferred creditors when a football club goes into admin. they thought they could get a case against us (over the way kpmg carried out the admin) and then bring that to the fl. but as with most civil servants they had no idea what they were doing, didnt realise that while bates is less than above the line he was twenty four paces in front of them and had it all wrapped up in a completely legit (rightly or wrongly) way.

they still want the fl to give them back their preferred creditor status though. their dispute with us has been dropped entirely. they will get about £800k.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
so how have Leeds been playing then ? with their record they do look completely unstoppable but there must be a couple of chinks in their armour

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
they still want the fl to give them back their preferred creditor status though. their dispute with us has been dropped entirely. they will get about £800k.

Just so that is clear, then. Thanks to Bates' chicanery and KPMG's compliance LUFC have got away without paying £7m in TAX which other taxpayers will effectively stump up. I don't know whether to be most pissed off at Bates, KPMG, HMRC or the FL. The whole thing stinks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Their record is very impressive, that I will grant you. As for 'got to admire them'. Never.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
they never had a case. they were trying to use us as an example to the fl because hrmc are no longer preferred creditors when a football club goes into admin. they thought they could get a case against us (over the way kpmg carried out the admin) and then bring that to the fl. but as with most civil servants they had no idea what they were doing, didnt realise that while bates is less than above the line he was twenty four paces in front of them and had it all wrapped up in a completely legit (rightly or wrongly) way.

So that could mean that the players that were deducted national insurance and tax are technically in arrears and the revenue could go after tem?

also if the national insurance contributions are in arrears that will affect their state pension when they come to draw them!

Not all footballers are millionaires....what about the youngsters?

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
so how have Leeds been playing then ? with their record they do look completely unstoppable but there must be a couple of chinks in their armour

We've been playing okish. A few sluggish performances such as Oldham and Hartlepool this year. But other games i.e. Swansea, Southend and Bristol Rovers with won pretty easy.

Our defence now has a great understanding between each other.

Midfield is also doing well. It is our problem area in my opinion. Too many grafters and not enough creativity. Carole really is a changed player this year. Playing out of skin. At the moment, he is being used on the left and having to come inside to cut onto his right to cross. We have finally got clearance for a left-winger who we signed just before deadline day. From video's we've seen of him he looks good. His name is Felipe Da Costa. If he turns good, our midfield will be awesome.

As for Beckford and Kandol they are awesome this year. Have been majorly impressed by both of them.

The main thing that has improved is our fitness levels. This team are still running like mad after 90mins, partly the reason we're scoring so many late on. It's brilliant to see. Even after the game, Wise has them doing laps.

I am really hopeful this year as the 15 points was pretty harsh. But we'll see the situation come Xmas.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Interesting, basically the administration route has worked out pretty well from the clubs point of view.

Excellent start, but its a long season.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
it worked out in the very best way possible for the club. the fl blinked to bates and gave into him, bates got what he wanted, the club is now debt free and with a significantly larger income than most other clubs in this division.

dave - very little of the tax bill was owing from the players wages (it was almost all backdated things from the sale/purchase of players, income on matchdays and the retail side of the club) which is why the pfa recommended the players vote yes for bates on the cva - because they is no issue there.

dougal - agree with robbie's summary of the season so far. the fitness at the club is something wise said he would work on and he really has. i am not sure what blackwell was doing with those players on the training ground, but it certainly was not any form of exercise. wise has shipped out the dead wood and created his team, he has really instilled that never say die attitude. the players want to play for each other and play for wise. they will run and run and run some more. like robbie says, they come off after playing 90 minutes and wise sends them back out to run a few laps and do a zillion star jumps. blackwell was giving them a lift to pizza hut instead.

we need a decent box to box midfielder. that said, it doesnt seem to me like you need to 'football' here. just a lot of hard graft and effort. every team we have played so far has started to fade at 75minutes, we havent and so the late goals come.

we certainly havent been playing like brasil, a few good performances and a few were we've slogged results out. but our defence is reliable - rui the rock, the two up front know what they are doing and the lads inbetween know what is going on in front and behind of them. i dont want to like wise and i wont. but an impressed with the way he got that group of players to play. if we had lost the first few and been cut a long way adrift at the bottom carrying those negative points into winter it would have been pretty hard to pick them up. we had to hit the ground running and we have.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Must admit I thought Wise and Poyet had jumped ship too soon at Swindon and when Leeds went down thought their number was up, but they've come through with flying colours, fair play to them.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Anyways lets hope its a good game when we play you. Unfortunately not going to be there as going on holiday in a few hours.

Have fun, have had to give my ticket away. Ciao.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here