Leeds Stewards today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ssbhafc22

Sep 22, 2011
I totally agree with Slinky and i found my trip to elland road to be an awful trip :nono:, it takes alot to make me angry and this was not because i did not want to sit down, i was more than happy to sit down but had i of done i would have missed the whole game due to the row in front of me standing.

Here is a letter i am sending to leeds united to explain my utter disgrace....enjoy.....

To whom it may concern,

It is with great regret that I write this letter to you but I have a number of concerns I wish to bring up with you regard the Leeds United v Brighton and Hove Albion Fixture on February 11TH at Elland Road. I am a Brighton and Hove Albion fan and I was sat in the away end of the stadium.

My first concern is with the manner of your stewards, throughout the whole game I felt completely intimidated by them from the moment I walked into the stadium to the second I walked out. The first issue I encountered was when I entered the stadium and asked the steward where my seat was and his reply was ‘just go where ever you like’ so I took up my position in the second to last row from the back. The next issue was the way stewards went about getting us to sit down, I am not one to not comply with stadium regulations and I have no issue with sitting down but when stewards get people to sit down starting from the back of the stand it does not make sense to me as if I were to sit down I would not be able to see the game as the people in front of me were standing. This continued throughout the whole first half and one steward wearing an orange jacket with the number 193 on his jacket shouted whilst spitting in my face whilst standing in the row behind me to sit down whilst I was trying to explain I could not see the game as the row in front of me were also standing and maybe they should get them to sit down first. I also found that when the fans were sitting down stewards were trying to walk through the rows in front forcing supporters to stand up which resulted in missing more of the match and more altercations between fans and stewards which were not necessary. Whilst all this was going on with the stewards trying to get us to sit down there were numerous homophobic chanting coming from the small section of Leeds United supporters and nothing seemed to be happening about it (section 10 of your ground regulations state that any homophobic chanting will result in ejection from the stadium). I was so concerned I went to talk to the lady in charge Catherine Bourne, West stand supervisor (may have spelt surname wrong) on the 33rd minute of the game (which resulted in myself missing more of the game) and she was very helpful and made me feel at ease that things would be sorted. I found the 2nd half to be better than the 1st but still the stewards were making it difficult to watch the game.

When vacating the stadium I was informed by my Mother and my Sister that a steward wearing an orange jacket wearing the number N232 on his jacket said to another steward ‘there is the fat gobby lad in the pink shirt I was telling you about’ after finding out this was said I found this comment to not only be completely out of line but also very homophobic as there was no need to bring in the fact that I was wearing a pink shirt into it and feel deeply saddened by my whole experience of this trip to Elland road.

My second concern is with regards to your catering within in the concourse, I entered the stadium at around 1.30pm and got to the food stand at around 1.35pm and I ordered a meat and potato pie and a pint of becks. When I made the order I was told the pies are currently not ready but would be ready in around 10 minutes so I decided to wait. 40 minutes had passed and I had not had any communication from the staff behind the counter until I bought it up with the manager and she offered me a burger as the pies were still not ready 40 minutes after the ground had opened. I found this to be a complete farce and completely unprofessional.

My third concern (however small it may be) was the fact that our old badge was displayed on the big screen.

I am not happy with my whole experience of Elland road and I did not travel 257 miles (514 miles altogether) from Brighton to Leeds and back again for any of these incidents to occur, one of which affected me from watching a 90 minute game of football of which I had paid £28 for the ticket and £35 for the coach fare to only be able to watch around 20 minutes, I feel the only way for this situation to be resolved is to repay me back for the ticket and coach fare (attached is a copy of my ticket). I will be writing to the Football league and the FA with regards to this complaint if I feel this is not dealt with in the appropriate way.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I hope a solution can be agreed with regards to my complaint.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I totally agree with Slinky and i found my trip to elland road to be an awful trip :nono:, it takes alot to make me angry and this was not because i did not want to sit down, i was more than happy to sit down but had i of done i would have missed the whole game due to the row in front of me standing.

Here is a letter i am sending to leeds united to explain my utter disgrace....enjoy.....

To whom it may concern,

It is with great regret that I write this letter to you but I have a number of concerns I wish to bring up with you regard the Leeds United v Brighton and Hove Albion Fixture on February 11TH at Elland Road. I am a Brighton and Hove Albion fan and I was sat in the away end of the stadium.

My first concern is with the manner of your stewards, throughout the whole game I felt completely intimidated by them from the moment I walked into the stadium to the second I walked out. The first issue I encountered was when I entered the stadium and asked the steward where my seat was and his reply was ‘just go where ever you like’ so I took up my position in the second to last row from the back. The next issue was the way stewards went about getting us to sit down, I am not one to not comply with stadium regulations and I have no issue with sitting down but when stewards get people to sit down starting from the back of the stand it does not make sense to me as if I were to sit down I would not be able to see the game as the people in front of me were standing. This continued throughout the whole first half and one steward wearing an orange jacket with the number 193 on his jacket shouted whilst spitting in my face whilst standing in the row behind me to sit down whilst I was trying to explain I could not see the game as the row in front of me were also standing and maybe they should get them to sit down first. I also found that when the fans were sitting down stewards were trying to walk through the rows in front forcing supporters to stand up which resulted in missing more of the match and more altercations between fans and stewards which were not necessary. Whilst all this was going on with the stewards trying to get us to sit down there were numerous homophobic chanting coming from the small section of Leeds United supporters and nothing seemed to be happening about it (section 10 of your ground regulations state that any homophobic chanting will result in ejection from the stadium). I was so concerned I went to talk to the lady in charge Catherine Bourne, West stand supervisor (may have spelt surname wrong) on the 33rd minute of the game (which resulted in myself missing more of the game) and she was very helpful and made me feel at ease that things would be sorted. I found the 2nd half to be better than the 1st but still the stewards were making it difficult to watch the game.

When vacating the stadium I was informed by my Mother and my Sister that a steward wearing an orange jacket wearing the number N232 on his jacket said to another steward ‘there is the fat gobby lad in the pink shirt I was telling you about’ after finding out this was said I found this comment to not only be completely out of line but also very homophobic as there was no need to bring in the fact that I was wearing a pink shirt into it and feel deeply saddened by my whole experience of this trip to Elland road.

My second concern is with regards to your catering within in the concourse, I entered the stadium at around 1.30pm and got to the food stand at around 1.35pm and I ordered a meat and potato pie and a pint of becks. When I made the order I was told the pies are currently not ready but would be ready in around 10 minutes so I decided to wait. 40 minutes had passed and I had not had any communication from the staff behind the counter until I bought it up with the manager and she offered me a burger as the pies were still not ready 40 minutes after the ground had opened. I found this to be a complete farce and completely unprofessional.

My third concern (however small it may be) was the fact that our old badge was displayed on the big screen.

I am not happy with my whole experience of Elland road and I did not travel 257 miles (514 miles altogether) from Brighton to Leeds and back again for any of these incidents to occur, one of which affected me from watching a 90 minute game of football of which I had paid £28 for the ticket and £35 for the coach fare to only be able to watch around 20 minutes, I feel the only way for this situation to be resolved is to repay me back for the ticket and coach fare (attached is a copy of my ticket). I will be writing to the Football league and the FA with regards to this complaint if I feel this is not dealt with in the appropriate way.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I hope a solution can be agreed with regards to my complaint.

Please do not send this. What are you really complaining about? You really are trying to make points of extremely thin themes. So you had on a pink shirt. Big deal. It is a way that you were identified. What if you had been wearing a black shirt. Would that have been racist.
I usually wear a pink and white striped shirt. It's fun. It invokes comments especially from Saints supporters. It's called banter. What did the Leeds fans chant that was that bad? I don't think we were too complimentary about their City.
If we were so upset why we're we singing 1-0 to the nancy boys.
So please don't send this until you really have something worthwhile to complain about.
As for the food why didn't you ask why it was taking so long before 40 minutes are we're you to shy?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What was the away attendance at Leeds then?... did it break the 1200 mark that I guessed it would be?

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Well done for making the effort to complain about the half-baked enforcing of sitting down, not sure about the rest. I've rarely found food at football to be anything other than mediocre quality at grossly inflated prices, not worth worrying about. The pies at the Amex aren't bad though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

A heterophobic song totally confuses the opposition support which they haven't got a reply to :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What was the away attendance at Leeds then?... did it break the 1200 mark that I guessed it would be?

947 (could be 946 with one NSCer absent but counted in the presold tickets)

ssbhafc22

Sep 22, 2011
Please do not send this. What are you really complaining about? You really are trying to make points of extremely thin themes. So you had on a pink shirt. Big deal. It is a way that you were identified. What if you had been wearing a black shirt. Would that have been racist.
I usually wear a pink and white striped shirt. It's fun. It invokes comments especially from Saints supporters. It's called banter. What did the Leeds fans chant that was that bad? I don't think we were too complimentary about their City.
So please don't send this until you really have something worthwhile to complain about.
As for the food why didn't you ask why it was taking so long before 40 minutes are we're you to shy?

With regards to the food i asked numerous time and was told 'it was just been checked'

I'm complaining at the fact that i spent near on over £50 to watch a game of football and i got to see about 20 minutes because of the stewards, i didn't leave at 5am in the morning for 20 minutes of football, yes i may well be making points of little things and the problem i have is not with the leeds fans chanting stuff at us because i do agree that it is good banter, my problem is the steward was very offensive to me as i was not wearing a pink shirt the whole time so he could have described me in a different way but to call me fat and gobby when i gave him no reason to call me gobby is just taking things to far. Trust me i am not one to write a letter of complaint, i would rather just leave it and forget about it but i was so angry and upset by it all i feel i at least deserve an apology!!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Personally I was sat just in front of the standers because I got there late so had to have a seat on the end of a set of seats.

My only complaint, which I did bring up (and I never complain) was the homophobic chanting that was laughed off when rules are rules.

A lad turns to the steward and goes "I can see exactly which STANDING lads in the other stand are throwing homophobic abuse, so are you going to remove them as YOUR stadium rules say so?" resulting in the steward wandering off and speaking to a police officer on the stairs which I sat just above in which I didn't hear a great deal but heard "shall I send a message over to get them out? I know which it were as well?" in which a POLICE OFFICER laughs and goes "dont worry about it".

I then told another steward of what I'd heard and got called a liar and it's being dealt with.

The same 12 year olds remained there all game long.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think the main reason they get everyone to sit, besides it being the rules, is that this was my view from the back when everyone was standing!

Attachments

• 0_1.jpg
    0_1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 53

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
The stewards are there to see that rules are obeyed and that fans can see the game,its bad enough at home at least you can provide seat details to officials to ensure they take action, but when travelling away with elderly supporters or children you rely on the stewards doing their job.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I found the stewards very polite today. We were near the back and the view was poor when sitting down and when standing up we couldn't see half the pitch. It was frustrating when People stood up because we couldn't see what was going on! I had my 5yr old nephew with me for his 1st ever Brighton match, he loved it, but couldn't see half the time. I was pleased when the stewards asked people to sit down so we could see the game we'd paid to watch!
I accept however it would make more sense to ask people to sit from the front backwards...
One other point, there was a baby faced 'twat' (blue front zipped retro style tracks top) who spent 90% of the match facing away from the action trying o get people to stand up as sing about haying Palace. Why? Does it make you a super fan? A galactico amongst fans because you hate our rivals oh so much?! Or just a bit of a nob?!
Atmosphere great, banter and songs brilliant, but please let everyone be able to see! (rant over)

Ps agree about catering - I gave up and spent my cash that I'd taken for pies on burgers and happy meals instead after the match - saving a few quid by putting on minimal staff and hoping people will queue well into the 2nd half really is a false economy, but that's their loss!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Last time we went to Leeds my mate got chucked out for "throwing an object".

Except he didn't throw an object.

Sure he didn't misunderstand the accent and was accused of throwing a shape?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is there still no leg room at Elland Road?

The leg room was fine actually, better than almost any ground I've been to despite the old wooden seats.

I thought the police were more annoying than the stewards. They were Filming AND photographing us all throughout the game. I don't really understand why they feel the need for this when other forces seem to manage perfectly well without.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
947 (could be 946 with one NSCer absent but counted in the presold tickets)

I couldn't find this info, where did you succeed?

Steward I spoke to said "expecting about 900".

However both BHA and Leeds websites say "Attendance 0" (sic) in the headline of their match reports - in which case there was rather a lot of noise from zero people!

At the foot of Leeds report it does admit to "Att: 23,171".

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
That complaint is awful.

How is identifying you in a pink shirt be homophobic? Surely assuming they were being homophobic means you are homophobic as you are implying only gay people wear pink?

Don't send it .

You will be laughed at.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I couldn't find this info, where did you succeed?

Steward I spoke to said "expecting about 900".

However both BHA and Leeds websites say "Attendance 0" (sic) in the headline of their match reports - in which case there was rather a lot of noise from zero people!

At the foot of Leeds report it does admit to "Att: 23,171".

The Argus match report last night gave the figure, at 947, within its text.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports