Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds fan spot on?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wozza said:
The (mainly English) owners of top clubs didn't give a shit about lower division clubs when they formed the Premiership.

What makes you think that the (mainly foreign) owners of Premiership clubs give a shit now!?!?

Well, in West Ham's case the foreign owners are going to HAVE to give a shit about lower division clubs - seeing as how they're going to be playing many of them next season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tom Hark said:
Well, in West Ham's case the foreign owners are going to HAVE to give a shit about lower division clubs - seeing as how they're going to be playing many of them next season.

Shame.

As are Leicesters.

The Championship will soon be a rich league as well.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A simple majority in the Premiership. One day soon, they'll be asked:

Would you like more competitive matches?

Would you like a no-relegation guarantee?

And the big one....

Would you like to increase TV revenue even further?

(Oh, and would you like to reduce your wage bill? - eg salary capping)

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hate to be the one to rock the boat here, but I FUNDAMENTALLY disagree with this Leeds fan, in that he claims to have fallen out of love with 'the game', then lists a load of examples of why, which suggest to me he has merely fallen out of love with the Prem.

From my personal position I do not feel as he does, that 'the manager and chairman don't give a **** about us'.

Nor do I recall being mistreated at away games with any regularity. I generally park near the ground, drink locally with home fans, walk about freely, etc. The fact that he follows a team with a large number of less than desirable fans, may explain his experiences.

I still love playing 'the game' on a Sunday, and 5 a side midweek. I still love watching 'the game' on TV and live. I still love teaching my kids to play 'the game', and talking about the game.

As a final point, he should probably look up the name of our division at some point between now and the start of next season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Wozza said:
A simple majority in the Premiership. One day soon, they'll be asked:

Would you like more competitive matches?

Would you like a no-relegation guarantee?

And the big one....

Would you like to increase TV revenue even further?

(Oh, and would you like to reduce your wage bill? - eg salary capping)

Will it be all or just the big 4?

I really cant see it myself.

I hope you are wrong and I am wrong about a Europe league

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Teams outside the top four have the most to gain.

Teams like Villa, Newcastle... and Spurs.

Can you imagine Spurs being uncompetitive in the Premiership forever?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
It was so much better in my day. :rolleyes:

That is nothing but sour grapes, the game does seem shit from the bottom of the table.

That is not to say the game doesn't have it's problems, as have been well highlighted here extensively but it isn't all bad:

The Champions League is hugely self serving but in the last 10 years it has produced 8 different winners from 5 countries which includes Porto and Dortmund. Hardly a closed shop and the football from this stage onwards is fantastic.

The last 14 years of the Premier League has seen it won by 4 different teams whilst the final 14 years of the Football League Division 1 was won by 5 different teams so hardly a free for all back then. Again I still enjoy the football just as much now as then even with all the cheating players and ref blaming managers.

Like I say there are plenty of things that could be improved today, just like 20 years ago and where we are now is in part a consequence of changes made as a result.

Wherever we are in the table it's still a bloody good game, shame for him he doesn't feel the same way.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Wozza said:
And they made NO difference. And now foreign ownership is the norm (Villa, Liverpool etc), no one is even complaining.

Only 3 or 4 teams can currently win the Premiership. The majority of matches are of no interest to neutral fans. And worldwide TV money is still going up and up and up.

But what if there were 16 competitive teams? A genuinely open championship, with each team full of the world's best players?

I'm not saying it's right. But I'm saying it's going happen.

Edit: And Brovian, I'm aware how and why NFL works. I believe the EPL (yuk!) will introduce salary capping and possibly a draft system.

I'm not arguing against foreign ownership, and I'm not arguing that a closed shop premier league isn't going to happen. What I'm saying is that I don't think it would be very succesful, or at the very least I don't think it would be that detrimental to the rest of the domestic game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must say I'd bloody love it if we were a top 5 club, as it is I'll have to settle for forcing myself to watching the dross on offer :(

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Great write up.

I have to admit I don`t feel the same way about football these days. I get excited by going but after a win a lose or draw I drive home and think what was it all about. £60.00 spent on 90 Miutes of football. Its wrong really. :angry:

Last edited:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Wozza said:
Problem is, you won't hear Premiership fans complaining - or certainly not armchair Premiership fans.

No you won't because they don't have to fork out £50 a go to watch it do they?

The Premiership is just for the rich clubs to plunder as much as they can when they can, and something has to be done about it otherwise football in this country is in deep trouble.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
SJ's Love Monkey said:
No you won't because they don't have to fork out £50 a go to watch it do they?

The Premiership is just for the rich clubs to plunder as much as they can when they can, and something has to be done about it otherwise football in this country is in deep trouble.

It is indeed - but the Championship is trying its best to catch up - how much bigger do you think Palace's wage bill is than 5 years ago?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
You have to be careful not to dwell on this for too long otherwise the ONLY reality you can see for the future of the game is a franchised League of major teams with the only relegation happening when a team goes bust or wants to sell its franchise, a bit like they have in American sport.

Why are the yanks buying into this ?

Because the potential worldwide TV and associated revenues dwarf what they can earn with US sports sides.

I had an interesting chat with a financier who I was sitting next to in a corporate box at Millwall last season who was quite convinced that this would happen within 20 years as financial institutions would no longer be prepared to subsidise lower league football and only those from the top 100 of the worlds rich list would be able to compete in a franchised Premiership.

Getting back to reality crowds and interest level in football have always suffered after we have a shit world cup, but the way the media concentrated more on how much the f***ing WAGS were spending and getting up to, really just emphasised that the game I loved is no longer what I want to spend my hard earned cash on anymore, the CKR saga was a wake up call that now any little jumped up twat with a Diamond earing expect to be on £30,000 a week for occasionally managing to take a decent corner.

Its no wonder that people are looking away from football to cricket and Rugby, I went to a Wasps game a few weeks back, no Bentleys in the car park for underacheivement, no hangers on, no slacking, no heads down when a goal goes in, no hissy fits when a player is subsituted, if you pardon the pun i'm converted.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Kinky Gerbils said:
It is indeed - but the Championship is trying its best to catch up - how much bigger do you think Palace's wage bill is than 5 years ago?

Kinks i know that Palace had the largest wage bill in the Championship last year, due to the fact that Johnson was put on a new fat contract (reported £30k a week) and all the rest of them were on Premiership wages from the year before, so it doesn't take a lot of working out really.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sorry it wasnt a dig at Palace.

Teams like West Brom, Palace Birmingham etc all have players that could of played in the top flight a few years ago, therefore they are going to be on a large wedge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here