Leed sold / Bates to leave? (merged)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
According to a good pal of mine living in Yorkshire.

If you were a Leeds fan what would your reaction be?

A lot of you would be probably thinking 'thank f***' but then again he did save the club.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He saved the club, fair play to him. But it's time he retired. Miserable old twat is taking them backwards.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Leeds Sold?

Rumour that Bates has sold Leeds (there will be scenes of great rejoicing "oop north" if true).

Twitter

If, as seems likely, it allows them to splash some cash and buy players which will make an already tough league a fair bit tougher next season. In such a competitive league though, might it be another team going the "promotion or bust" route, with "bust" being the more likely outcome. ???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I stand to be corrected but I don't see that he's done a lot wrong. He saved the club, helped get them back into the Championship and is being sensible with the club's finances.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Heard he was selling up but planning to stay on in charge as part of the deal?

Last edited:

I stand to be corrected but I don't see that he's done a lot wrong. He saved the club, helped get them back into the Championship and is being sensible with the club's finances.

He took the club into administration, then definitely didn't buy the club out of administration (having written off a massive chunk of the debt through a CVA) using an overseas investment fund before taking ownership of the club directly from the previous completely unrelated owners. He definitely doesn't abuse his position as chairman to make unsubstantiated accusations against anyone he dislikes in the club programme and on the club radio station (including investigative journalists who have the temerity to investigate who owns the club and how much money he takes out of the club). He definitely doesn't take money out of the club and refuse to invest in the team.

Is that enough for starters?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Breaking news on ssn, that leeds are in discussions with possible investment for the long-term future. Statement on the club site apparently, I'll go get a link...

EDIT: Here you go:
Leeds United | News | News | News | A CLUB STATEMENT

Leeds Official Site said:
The club have issued the following statement...

Further to media reports on Tuesday morning, the club can confirm that talks are taking place regarding investment for the long-term future.

The club has always publicly stated that it would welcome potential investment, but has maintained a belief whereby the quality of the investor is the most important factor in terms of the long-term development of Leeds United.

No further comment will be made at this stage.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
He must be the most unlikeable bloke in football but he's obviously financially very astute. Chelsea were doing quite well on the pitch when he was there and their fans can't complain that he handed it over to a very rich owner. I don't know how much he made out of it, knowing him probably quite a bit. He has steadied the ship at Leeds but they're not exactly living up to their potential. There must be a good reason why these people take over football clubs (when they're not real fans of the team), the most likely is making money.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
He took the club into administration, then definitely didn't buy the club out of administration (having written off a massive chunk of the debt through a CVA) using an overseas investment fund before taking ownership of the club directly from the previous completely unrelated owners. He definitely doesn't abuse his position as chairman to make unsubstantiated accusations against anyone he dislikes in the club programme and on the club radio station (including investigative journalists who have the temerity to investigate who owns the club and how much money he takes out of the club). He definitely doesn't take money out of the club and refuse to invest in the team.

Is that enough for starters?

A very fair summary and particularly apposite to the current situation :thumbsup:
you clearly regard Leeds much as I regard Portsmouth :lol:

Reading that press release I am guessing my source was right that Bates will be staying at the helm and this is just another of his scams (after his comments last week I wonder if Snodgrass will be impressed, or indeed buy in to the "positive" news?)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Noooooooooo.

I've bet a Leeds fan £5 a point we finish above them next year. If this is some Oil rich, money's no object billionaire next year will be unbearable.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

He didn't save the club, he put it into administration and bought it back for a pittance, stiffing the creditors in the process. He has exploited company law to the utmost and used offshore companies to disguise the ownership of the company, exploiting the loyalty of fans to expand his ego and line his pockets in the process.

The first match Leeds played under Bates was against the Albion, a 1-1 draw, famous for David Yelldell wearing the notorious pink goalkeeping jersey, which (I think) he had to swap after getting so much homophobic abuse from the Leeds fans.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Question What are the chances that Leeds' potential new investors will be based in the Cayman Islands and will wish to remain un-named whilst retaining Bates at the helm?

Sound familiar anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports