Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've played the clip back on YouTube at 1/4 speed and you can hear the whistle starting to go about 1 meter our before the ball crossed the line. But that doesn't cover up that Mason had no legal right to blow again according to the rules of the game.

Whether has had a ‘right’ to blow again isn’t the point though is it ? He did blow again, so play immediately stops - so if the ball wasn’t over the line, it wasn’t a goal. Refs often blow when they shouldn’t have (fouls that aren’t fouls etc). Play stops.

Why he blew again is another question..............that hasn’t been answered as far as I know.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Whether has had a ‘right’ to blow again isn’t the point though is it ? He did blow again, so play immediately stops - so if the ball wasn’t over the line, it wasn’t a goal. Refs often blow when they shouldn’t have (fouls that aren’t fouls etc). Play stops.

Why he blew again is another question..............that hasn’t been answered as far as I know.

He can only blow the whistle again for an infringement, not because he made a mistake. The second whistle doesn't stop and lay because no infringement.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

But they give the free kick and it's classed as a foul.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The problem I have is VAR is introduced because the referees were making too many mistakes. VAR gives out a video footage of an incident, it does not make the decision, that decision is made by the same referees that were originally making those mistakes.
Maybe the way forward is to have ex professional footballers making the VAR calls.

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
Why on earth cannot someone in authority come out and explain what happened, backed up by unequivocal evidence? If it exists (which I doubt) surely that is the least a team deserves in such a contentious situation. It is too much to ask?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
VAR has made game worse

All conversations between ref and whoever at a TV screen should be broadcast live in ground and on TV feed

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Give it a couple of years and it’ll be a bonus answer in the sport round at your local pub quiz - remember those? - asking ‘which team in the Premier League experienced a referee who disallowed, gave and disallowed the same goal”.

I can’t ever recall seeing such poor refereeing for years, he’s demonstrably not good enough for this league.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We lost,get over it.

We all accept refs make errors and I'm in no doubt Mason is feeling gutted and it would take some balls to go back out there given the chance. He doesn't come over as one of the aloof egotistical ones. I don't have an issue with him on his error it's the way that four officials at the ground and two at Stockley Park mustered up a shitstorm of further decisions that are just compounding the mistake. It's the complete incompetence of the whole lot.

The VAR replays as shown on TV were all in slow motion at no point could you determine when the 2nd whistle went. It was so close to the ball going past the line. Hooper could have helped Mason by saying goal. Apart from sending fat Sam off when he undoubtedly exploded and perhaps a player from their side (remembering reports of them abusing him) that would have been that. Then like the Liverpool game last year quick discussion on tv have clever Dunk was.

But no they continued to make it up, resulting in a retaken freekick, again completely against the Laws. The EPL followed up by PGMOL employee Gallagher releases media further hiding behind mistruths.

Perhaps you are weak willed and accept things in life. Others like me seek justification from authority for their actions. You can't change what's gone (unless you're Mason) but you can change the future, maybe!

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
Apart from the issues with the decision making about that (non) goal, Lee Mason seemed oblivious to blatant attempts to disrupt our play. At least twice in the latter stages of the game Sanchez was deliberately fouled to prevent him from moving the ball out quickly when he had gathered it. Surely this should have resulted in at least one yellow card. It is clearly a tactic to slow the play to get your defence in position in the same way that a midfielder “takes one for the team”.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
When I got to the big that said he should of waited for the keeper to be ready I stopped. If an ex referee is going to criticise one that is still in the game he should know the rules.
FFS You do not have to wait for the defending team to set up the wall make and make sure the keeper is ready.

Actually, you kinda do.

If the free kick is not a 'quick' free kick (which it wasn't as their player held onto the ball for more than 10 seconds) then it is a 'ceremonial' free kick which can only be taken on the referee's whistle.

The ref should only blow his whistle once he's satisfied the wall is set up correctly

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Actually, you kinda do.

If the free kick is not a 'quick' free kick (which it wasn't as their player held onto the ball for more than 10 seconds) then it is a 'ceremonial' free kick which can only be taken on the referee's whistle.

The ref should only blow his whistle once he's satisfied the wall is set up correctly

And where is that in the Laws of the Game or even official Fifa guidelines?

theboybilly

Actually, you kinda do.

A 'ceremonial' free kick. Here we are wanting the laws simplified and there you are clouding the issue. At no point did Mason, having blown his whistle, have the right to bring back play. His next involvement could only be if the ball went out of play, another infringement occurred - or Dunk scored. That's it, just those three occurrences. Why Hooper got involved I'll never know

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here