[Albion] Lee Mason at it again

should welbeck have had a penalty?

• penalty

• no penalty

Results are only viewable after voting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is why I think that refs should be interviewed post game. Simple question: so why didn't you give that penalty?

We may not agree with their answer but at least we would understand their thinking.

Perhaps it may even force them and the VAR bods to be more careful with their decisions. They no that currently they don't have to explain themselves to the supporters and media.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Does the VAR have the technology to expand the picture as we saw on MOTD or do they just have access to a 24 inch black and white screen.
For me it's about time the VAR team included an ex player who understands the game and not just the rules.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At the end of the day, Mason was a useless ref so why Riley thought putting him permanently as a video ref is going to make him improve is beyond me.

There is a VAR but they also have assistants but I doubt a ref like Mason would ever take their views into account.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Not sure why he didn't ask the ref to look at the screen?

It seems all the incompetant refs just move on to manning VAR. Given how many blatant errors he made in his career, it wasn't exactly a surprise he would get it wrong.
I genuinely think with him it is personal against us .

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
I’m not sure how players should react to infringements in the penalty area. 3 weeks ago we were incensed that we did not get a penalty for an obvious shirt pull that Sarmiento did not dramatically react to. this week Welbeck goes down and there is no penalty, maybe because he “went down too easily”. Our players seem dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t!

Gonzo BHA

Sep 3, 2004
BN1
I still cant fathom how that wasn't given. I can understand why these kind of things could be missed in the heat of moment as we're all human beings etc. but how anyone, let alone a 'professional' can look at that and say 'no penalty' is beyond me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m not sure how players should react to infringements in the penalty area. 3 weeks ago we were incensed that we did not get a penalty for an obvious shirt pull that Sarmiento did not dramatically react to. this week Welbeck goes down and there is no penalty, maybe because he “went down too easily”. Our players seem dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t!

Call me precious but so many of the VAR decisions we don’t get I am certain perceived top 6 teams would get. Refs may not be bent but they are undoubtably (maybe subconsciously)) influenced by the size of the club these things happen to imo

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dermot Gallagher was #TeamPenalty on Ref Watch...

"It was a penalty. He has taken a swipe and missed the ball. Welbeck has it and he moves the ball, that is the clue. Many, many times I have said look at the ball. If the ball goes, you know the defender did not play it.”

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
TBF that's probably the perception of every team outside the big six, but last year we'd were ranked no 1 as having most benefited from VAR descisions since it was introduced!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
TBF that's probably the perception of every team outside the big six, but last year we'd were ranked no 1 as having most benefited from VAR descisions since it was introduced!
Source?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This is why I think that refs should be interviewed post game. Simple question: so why didn't you give that penalty?

We may not agree with their answer but at least we would understand their thinking.

Perhaps it may even force them and the VAR bods to be more careful with their decisions. They no that currently they don't have to explain themselves to the supporters and media.
100% they are completely unaccountable.....in far too frequently incorrect.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
But doesn’t that suggest we are not getting the decisions we should on the pitch? And now we have a higher bar it means that getting onfield call is more important.

How neither March (vs villa) nor Welbeck were pens is beyond me. Not unlikely we win both games if given. Instead we have one point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here