Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Hurst

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Torture is not a truth serum. Torture doesn't work because the person being tortured will make things up to stop the pain.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
YES there most definitely is you are correct

There is an estimated 2,500 westerners currently held hostage at this moment in time by terrorist groups around the world. I worry about them now that the President of a so called Free and civilised Nation states that torture works and is acceptable.

That sends the signal that YES it would be acceptable to torture them as well because Trump says ''we must fight fire with fire'' so the parents an families of those hostages being held must now be thinking their sons or daughters could face untold torture .

So actually, not is it not acceptable to torture other human beings. Not doing so is what should set us aside from the barbarous people who do.

Ah, but in wartime you just have to win! If it helps, we're not really talking about a permanent stance of affairs here. It's not as if every prisoner is tortured as some sort of meet and greet. But if the stakes were high enough and as the OP posed the question, time dependent, with an apparent useless piece of scum at stake that's all? In such instances, I'd rather we 'survive the bomb' than 'pick up the pieces'...which would include your remains btw. Do what's necessary. And the hostages were screwed the minute they were taken prisoner. There ain't nothing you can do when the enemy is mad enough. That's why they say innocence is the first casualty of war.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I did wonder why he doesn't get any/much tv work nowadays, obviously too right of centre for them going by his tweets.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Torture is not a truth serum. Torture doesn't work because the person being tortured will make things up to stop the pain.

That just isn't true but it is trotted out and I once believed it too until reading about the subject in many WW2 situations amongst French resistance prisoners. Almost everyone breaks, few can 'just die'

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The problem is how do you the person you have is definitely an ISIS member, you might be torturing someone who is innocent. Also I'm sure there a lot of evidence that torture doesn't work in getting the truth and that people being tortured will just tell you what you want to hear.

That's an entirely different question of course, but plenty of ISIS are visibly members of that death cult, take a look at the news reels. You know...Black.Masked.Ninja like, carrying kalashnikovs and beheading people :)

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ah, but in wartime you just have to win! If it helps, we're not really talking about a permanent stance of affairs here. It's not as if every prisoner is tortured as some sort of meet and greet. But if the stakes were high enough and as the OP posed the question, time dependent, with an apparent useless piece of scum at stake that's all? In such instances, I'd rather we 'survive the bomb' than 'pick up the pieces'...which would include your remains btw. Do what's necessary. And the hostages were screwed the minute they were taken prisoner. There ain't nothing you can do when the enemy is mad enough. That's why they say innocence is the first casualty of war.

I doubt your response would be the same if your brother or father was one of such hostages.

As a lifelong Labour Voter I was over the moon when Tony Blair took Labour back into Power for the first time since I was old enough to vote. And for the most part I was impressed by his time in Power.

Then came the Iraq war and he made a statement say that he was going to war. he regretted it because he knew that there would be innocent casualties of civilians during the bombing raids.

At first glance his concern seemed very genuine BUT would he have made the same decisions if the civilians dying were on the streets of Birmingham or London or Cardiff or Glasgow or were they his own children - I think not.

War and bombs should be the last option instead of the swift or easy option.

Never again did I VOTE in the UK until Blair left office after that.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
That just isn't true but it is trotted out and I once believed it too until reading about the subject in many WW2 situations amongst French resistance prisoners. Almost everyone breaks, few can 'just die'

“You can always make someone talk … The problem is what they say,” one of Saddam Hussein’s former torturers said when he was interviewed in a Kurdish jail in 2003.

and that's the problem with torture. The information received can not be relied upon to be correct.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is the correct answer. I may be paraphrasing an old quote but if you have 100 people and 1 confesses they are a witch the other 99 didn't confess they are also witches as they have not yet been tortured

They should torture Goran. Even he's a witch.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
“You can always make someone talk … The problem is what they say,” one of Saddam Hussein’s former torturers said when he was interviewed in a Kurdish jail in 2003.

and that's the problem with torture. The information received can not be relied upon to be correct.

In perhaps a few cases, yes: but definitely many resistance fighters of all nations in nazi occupied europe would beg to disagree...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I doubt your response would be the same if your brother or father was one of such hostages.

As a lifelong Labour Voter I was over the moon when Tony Blair took Labour back into Power for the first time since I was old enough to vote. And for the most part I was impressed by his time in Power.

Then came the Iraq war and he made a statement say that he was going to war. he regretted it because he knew that there would be innocent casualties of civilians during the bombing raids.

At first glance his concern seemed very genuine BUT would he have made the same decisions if the civilians dying were on the streets of Birmingham or London or Cardiff or Glasgow or were they his own children - I think not.

War and bombs should be the last option instead of the swift or easy option.

Never again did I VOTE in the UK until Blair left office after that.

It doesn't matter what my view is, nor yours for that matter. Facts of the matter are they (fanatics) kill people regardless. More fool you if you think that has anything to do with anyone elses actions or there's any reasoning with. They're just murderers. If you've been taken hostage, there is a damned good chance you're just bidding your time until you're murdered. Nothing else can possibly change this. Unless their objection is ransom. But ISIS prefer just to murder westerners, we're not talking about ransom. Completely separate to this discussion.

Maybe, but we're not going to volunteer for the role of the Nazis, are we?

Just watched the Brighton director Sean Ellis's latest, Anthropoid about the Czech resistance and there is plenty of flavour there what you are talking about. Worth a watch as a study of bravery

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Maybe, but we're not going to volunteer for the role of the Nazis, are we?

Just watched the Brighton director Sean Ellis's latest, Anthropoid about the Czech resistance and there is plenty of flavour there what you are talking about. Worth a watch as a study of bravery

Absolutely not. Nor was I implying. I like the comment just made about this very tweet just now on the Last Leg 'bombs are only tied to Wyle Coyote, surely?!' :)

Anyway, thank you. I didn't know he was a brightonian. I know the story well, actually been there and prefer 1977 film version (didn't think it was that good a remake, sorry Sean!). Really recommend you read Laurent Binet's Hhhh about Operation Anthropoid. It's a bit different too, would pass it on to you but did a clear out last year and it went to the charity shop. Sorry! But yes, incredible bravery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here