Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Hughes - would you want him in your team?

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Did anyone see the Oldham v Leeds game?
Is it just me, or does Lee Hughes come across as being one of the most repugnant people on this planet?
Particularly disliked his 'smash em' rally call to his colleagues.
Even if he was guaranteed to score a stack of goals, I would never want to see that w**ker pull on an Albion shirt.
:falmerspi

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Lee Hughes has served his time and as such should be allowed to continue in his job like the majority of other people do when they come out of prison. It just happens that he is a professional footballer and therefore in the public spotlight. Why should he be denied the chance to earn a living, having served the sentence that he was handed down?

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Different league I'm afraid ...or should be. Hughes should still be playing in a shirt with arrows on it!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Different league I'm afraid ...or should be. Hughes should still be playing in a shirt with arrows on it!

Hughes was given a specific sentence and served it. What do you expect him to do now...not have a job, not earn a living, decide voluntarily to stay in prison?

Yes Lee Hughes was guilty of a shameful crime but he has been punished for it and should now be allowed to get on with his job. Like most people he has a mortgage to pay and a family to feed. How do you expect him to do that without a job?

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Lee Hughes has served his time and as such should be allowed to continue in his job like the majority of other people do when they come out of prison. It just happens that he is a professional footballer and therefore in the public spotlight. Why should he be denied the chance to earn a living, having served the sentence that he was handed down?

Put yourself in the shoes of the grieving family having to see that prat wheel away in delight each week when he scores ... must rip their heart out. :down:Should never have been allowed back into professional football.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Put yourself in the shoes of the grieving family having to see that prat wheel away in delight each week when he scores ... must rip their heart out. :down:Should never have been allowed back into professional football.

But, playing devil's advocate for a second here, what careers SHOULD convicted criminals be allowed to do?

Would the same rules apply to anybody with a high profile, say TV actors, or just footballers? Lee Hughes could get himself a career as a dinner lady nowadays and people would still want to know what he's up to, simply because of who he is/was.

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Hughes was given a specific sentence and served it. What do you expect him to do now...not have a job, not earn a living, decide voluntarily to stay in prison?

Yes Lee Hughes was guilty of a shameful crime but he has been punished for it and should now be allowed to get on with his job. Like most people he has a mortgage to pay and a family to feed. How do you expect him to do that without a job?

I totally agree - he should be able to get a job , just not one in the public gaze.

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
He would be in the public gaze more if he went and did a random job because people would be interested in his story. Much better to let him get on with being a footballer.

We beg to differ!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, this thread has gone off at a complete tangent!

My initial question was would you want him as an Albion player - yes or no?

The way things are going, he's probably on the shortlist for next manager!!!!
:albion2:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We beg to differ!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, this thread has gone off at a complete tangent!

My initial question was would you want him as an Albion player - yes or no?

The way things are going, he's probably on the shortlist for next manager!!!!
:albion2:

Would I want him as an Albion player now? No
Would I fundementally disagree with him being an Albion player ever? No

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Obviously not now. In the future, if he turned out to be a decent manager (which I HIGHLY doubt he will) then I wouldn't be against him being manager.

No doubt he'd wanna play the long ball game - HIT & RUN !!!
Sorry, very bad taste (but couldn't resist!):blush:

Oct 25, 2003
he did his time and all that, but i'd still feel uneasy about cheering him on

something about me disliking people who destroy families maybe?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Just bought him on Football Manager for 7k.
Him and Foster upfront.
Only played 1 game so far, but went well.
So based on my scientific experiment. Yes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
he did his time and all that, but i'd still feel uneasy about cheering him on

something about me disliking people who destroy families maybe?

Speaking from personal experience, I am not sure I could bring myself to watch him play for Brighton or applaud him. Made even more difficult by the fact that he was thinking about himself first and foremost, running without even offering assistance to the injured parties in the car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here