Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leaving the Armed Forces......

Sibroadway

SEAGULL Till I Die !!!!!
Jan 16, 2010
Brighton
As of the end of 2012 I shall be making the leap back in to Civi Life and am
Starting to go about looking for Work prospects ....
Just wanted to know what peoples perceptions would be in regards to employing an ex squaddie with 10 years service.
And I'm a Royal Engineer By Trade.
Any thoughts ?????

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Did 9 years in the Corps many moons ago(1970's) and in my case trade qualifications were not really recognised,unless you have civvie certificates to back them up.Discharge record impressed potential employers more-exemplary conduct (not getting caught) and active service goes down well!Took me 6 weeks to find a permanent job,but agencies are good to start with.Plenty of support in the ex-service community nowadays,even advertise jobs on ARRSE!!(Army Rumours Service).Good luck,Ubique

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Are you any good in goal ?

Top lad lol :thumbsup:

Good luck in you search for work.

A mate of mine came out of the forces and got a job as cabin crew with British Airways. They liked him because of his military background and he loves all the crumpet he works with. Jobs a good'n :)

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Just wanted to know what peoples perceptions would be in regards to employing an ex squaddie with 10 years service.
Any thoughts ?????

What is your trade in the Engineers,have you got stripes.Management in construction is an option but the hours and travelling can be shit.

Sibroadway

SEAGULL Till I Die !!!!!
Jan 16, 2010
Brighton
Did 9 years in the Corps many moons ago(1970's) and in my case trade qualifications were not really recognised,unless you have civvie certificates to back them up.Discharge record impressed potential employers more-exemplary conduct (not getting caught) and active service goes down well!Took me 6 weeks to find a permanent job,but agencies are good to start with.Plenty of support in the ex-service community nowadays,even advertise jobs on ARRSE!!(Army Rumours Service).Good luck,Ubique

REspect
What trade were you??
Done 3 Op tours Of Afghan since 2006 , did the Germany stint for 6, just been selected for my full screw but looking for a change now. Search as done me right in Haha

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
REspect
What trade were you??
Done 3 Op tours Of Afghan since 2006 , did the Germany stint for 6, just been selected for my full screw but looking for a change now. Search as done me right in Haha
Combat Engineer A1
Fitter RE A2
Storeman Tech A1
Left as full screw,not got as much AS in as you though,just Op Banner & Storm.

Any thoughts ?????

Still serving (username sort of gives it away!). If you need help with accreditation, give me a shout. I'm in the ETS after 23 yrs with RSIGS. Have you contacted your local AEC yet?

Ali

Sibroadway

SEAGULL Till I Die !!!!!
Jan 16, 2010
Brighton
Yeah started all that stuff , just having a look at some courses at the mo.
Combat Engineer 1
C3s 1
Sigs Storeman
CO's Driver
432 Commander / Driver

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As a civvy who has done bits & pieces of work on Armed Forces sites over the years I have got to laugh at the familiar story of Forces Bods talking in acronyms at one another.... :rolleyes:

Anyway to return to your original question, if you want to work in the offshore industry as far as I can see they LOVE ex-Forces as they do not whinge about the job like soft shandy drinking civvies, meet loads of ex Navy/Marines even RAF when I'm working on the North Sea.

You will have to pay for your own Offshore Survival Course unless you can get a prospective employer to sponsor you - I'm sure you will enjoy getting to know the ancronym HUET - Google it! :D

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have no idea what any of you are talking about - unless a full screw really is what it suggests......

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
You'll find getting a job is easier than you think. Civvies seem to love people that can turn up on time, look the part and be reliable. Apparently these qualities are much sought after! I left a year ago, went to two job interviews, got both jobs. You will be fine, enjoy your freedom. Up The Albion!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Like others have said on here before, employers like certain aspects of a military background, i.e. discipline & time keeping. However, one bit of advice; when you do get a job, try hard not to mention your background unless asked. If you hear yourself saying "when I was in the Army" give yourself a slap & crack on.

10 years? Did longer on one wave skin! Good luck.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Would be good to find out a bit more and what you're looking for, I'm ex forces and have several companies you never know? Feel free to PM me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here