Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving before the full time whistle

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It matters because it potentially affects the players’ performance. It’s quite simple really. If 30,000 people all just got up and left with ten minutes to go then I can’t see how that inspires the players to fight to the bitter end in the pissing rain. Where as 30,000 roaring them on just might give them that extra 1% to get over the line.
or maybe win 3-0 and the crowd stays to clap you off and then have a couple of beers.....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Well, to SLIGHTLY buck the trend. I used the EDF P&R today. Minced onto a bus at 12.45, got the the ground at 1.20.

I left about a minute before the end of ET, had a quick jimmy. Then a brisk walk to the P&R, no queue, literally STRAIGHT onto a bus. Back at Portslade EDF less than half an hour after the game ended. RIDICULOUS.

It took me an hour and 45 to get home on Thursday on the train + 700.

People who leave early have every right. God I wish that EDF was available for every game.

I used EDF P&R today and left after the final whistle and clapping the players and there was still no queue and I walked straight up into a bus. With EDF you really don’t need to “beat the queue” and can stay until the end (unless you’ve a reason to be leaving early).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Loads more park n ride buses ready would help.

Was always going to be THE issue with a site in the sticks with just the A27 and an unimportant train line.
I don't get that, it just moves the congestion a little further away. It's all shyte, and won't change.

the only thing (mono rail aside) that will improver it is walking/weather and a proper football train service.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't get that, it just moves the congestion a little further away. It's all shyte, and won't change.

the only thing (mono rail aside) that will improver it is walking/weather and a proper football train service.

That’s my cheap, doable part solution.

I get the impression from @jackalbion (and nsc’s other train experts over the last 12 years), that nothing will ever change with the trains. Network Rail won’t spend serious money on a line and stations, for a few peoples hobby 25 times per annum.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Until the trains improve, and the inefficient and clueless jobsworths controlling the numbers getting on the platform improve then nothing will change.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Everyone will have their own reasons for leaving early, I wish people would stop complaining about it. Yeah I'd rather they didn't, I don't ever leave early myself, but respect others when they do.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If you really think the op is asking for genuine feedback, then you cannot see a stirrer? It starts a thread, knowing it is controversial and then runs away.
I‘m not ashamed of leaving early. There was a break in the weather, which had been sciling it down earlier, the referee and cheating Fulham (dying swans) were really annoying me, and I wanted to get home into the warm where my arthritis didn’t give me gyp. At my age, I couldn’t give a stuff what you or the op think of me. Get over it.
Literally just proved the point I was making. I didn’t make any assumptions about you as an individual, or the many exceptions there will be for others. The op even said himself that it’s a transport issue, and didn’t lay any blame at anyone’s doorstep.

You just added another irrational response in a long list of irrational responses. If you think it’s ok that a third of the stadium empties with 10 mins to go and all to play for, then you’re either a bit dim or in total denial.

It’s an issue, and if enough people stop taking it personally, start recognising it, whether they have perfectly acceptable reasons to leave early themselves or not, and putting pressure on improving transport links then we might just see improvement.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
How do we solve this issue with our fan base? 1-1 against Fulham and so many empty seats. I understand it's Sunday, weather is awful and getting home is important, but so is cheering on the team.

It's definitely a transport issue, can the club put more pressure on Southern to provide a better service post-match? I think the service is half decent and wonder if it wouldn't change people's habits. But after COVID, the fans are vital to players' performances at the end of a match. All I can say is credit to those who stay until the bitter end
I had to leave bang on 90 minutes for the Ajax game because of trains. As it was, I missed the last train going up the London line to Hassocks and had to get a cab.

I am only trying to get to bloody Hassocks - just two stops out of Brighton - and there’s no trains.

I really don’t blame people for leaving earlier, getting public transport out of Falmer is appalling. Doesn’t have to be, but it is.

I mean, after the Ajax game, a 3 car train arrived. Three bloody cars!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Literally just proved the point I was making. I didn’t make any assumptions about you as an individual, or the many exceptions there will be for others. The op even said himself that it’s a transport issue, and didn’t lay any blame at anyone’s doorstep.

You just added another irrational response in a long list of irrational responses. If you think it’s ok that a third of the stadium empties with 10 mins to go and all to play for, then you’re either a bit dim or in total denial.

It’s an issue, and if enough people stop taking it personally, start recognising it, whether they have perfectly acceptable reasons to leave early themselves or not, and putting pressure on improving transport links then we might just see improvement.

A third of the stadium does not leave with 10 minutes to go.
Possibly a third of the family stand does.
About 3 people leave from around where I am in the North Stand.

The idea that this has any impact on the players is utter bullshit.
The remaining fans are generally making more noise at this point, than a full stadium did for the previous 80 minutes.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I had to leave bang on 90 minutes for the Ajax game because of trains. As it was, I missed the last train going up the London line to Hassocks and had to get a cab.

I am only trying to get to bloody Hassocks - just two stops out of Brighton - and there’s no trains.

I really don’t blame people for leaving earlier, getting public transport out of Falmer is appalling. Doesn’t have to be, but it is.

I mean, after the Ajax game, a 3 car train arrived. Three bloody cars!
Travelling back to London regularly.
On both Europa League games, Multiple London bound trains have been cancelled.
I can see why people wouldn't want to risk it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I thought the atmosphere was shit yesterday and only ramped up in injury time when people had already gone. It should have been expected, it’s Sunday, it’s pissing down and it’s Fulham.

If the transport was improved and could be relied upon more people would stay, accepting that some will always leave early regardless due to hassle, crowd anxiety and many other plausible reasons

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The idea that this has any impact on the players is utter bullshit.
Do you genuinely think the players wouldn’t prefer a full stadium roaring them on for the last five minutes rather than getting up and leaving?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mrsea
How do we solve this issue with our fan base? 1-1 against Fulham and so many empty seats. I understand it's Sunday, weather is awful and getting home is important, but so is cheering on the team.

It's definitely a transport issue, can the club put more pressure on Southern to provide a better service post-match? I think the service is half decent and wonder if it wouldn't change people's habits. But after COVID, the fans are vital to players' performances at the end of a match. All I can say is credit to those who stay until the bitter end.
Mrs Earle currently has a serious knee problem. It takes her a full 20 minutes to carefully walk back to the Bridge car park, so she leaves with our grandson on about 80 minutes. The Albion gets their full support in that time. Leave any later can add at least an hour to getting home which is just too long for both of them. They should be praised for their effort to support the club, not criticised.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Do you genuinely think the players wouldn’t prefer a full stadium roaring them on for the last five minutes rather than getting up and leaving?
Maybe.
Do you think the East stand leavers are actually going to "roar them on" at any point during the game though?

Maybe we should be looking at changing our demographic and see if we can get rid of the families coming to the game and get some Ultras in?

This whole discussion is hypothetical.
I was just taking issue with the hyperbole of what actually happens and the perceived impact.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Maybe.
Do you think the East stand leavers are actually going to "roar them on" at any point during the game though?

Maybe we should be looking at changing our demographic and see if we can get rid of the families coming to the game and get some Ultras in?

This whole discussion is hypothetical.
I was just taking issue with the hyperbole of what actually happens and the perceived impact.
If I was the opposition captain and my team were hanging on at the end, I’d be saying to my team mates ‘Look around you boys, the fans have given up. They’re all leaving, they don’t think they can do it. Only five more minutes to go, we’ve got this”. I’d be saying the same to the home team- “You’ve f***ed it lads, your fans are deserting you, we’ve done you”.

Elite sport is about incredibly fine margins, and stuff like that genuinely can make a difference. People are free to leave when they want and make their own decisions, but this ‘it’s the same everywhere’ thing just isn’t true, it isn’t. And a raucous home support that always stayed the distance WOULD make the difference occasionally. But the two reasons it doesn’t happen are poor transport and the demographic of our support with the ‘I pay my money to be entertained and I’ll leave when I want’ attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here