Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving before the full time whistle

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A nearish ‘park and walk’ site would be good and help alleviate some of the current issues perhaps……just not sure where within say 30 mins (and flattish so people are more prepared to use it) would be suitable. I’d far rather be walking for that 30 mins than stuck in a non-moving train queue with no idea when I’ll be able to get on one.

Still don’t think the Amex is materially worse than a lot of other grounds though - any in London, Manchester, Liverpool etc and you’re facing similar waits to properly get away.
I suggested when asked by the club a few years ago when I did a survey, that why couldn’t wild park be used as a park and walk. the area next to Lewes road at the front of wild park I would have thought could be converted? Yes it would need council support, and money to be spent, but they did use braypool a couple of times showing It can be done.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IMG_0487.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In previous seasons, I would stay to the end. Clap off the team, then head out. The stand (WSU) would be near empty as I left. The stairs would be empty and I could get down to the station before there being congestion of fans trying to walk back toward the bridge car park.

This season, I do the same, but have found it much more crowded than before. More people still lingering in the stand. Stairs would have a lot of people still walking down them, crowds still outside the entrance to the north stand/club shop.

Odd to see discussions like this, when my experience is more people staying late.
Both can be true. I was going to dig out two graphs, but I can't be arsed so I'll use words instead...

Perhaps leaving could previously have been represented bu a typical normal distribution bell curve, but it has now flattened out with more people leaving early to beat the crowds, and more people hanging about because of the crowds in front of them.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Where does the Pyecombe drop and collect from at the Amex, is it a different area from the Mill Road P&R or just two queues?

Do the buses start leaving when immediately full or is there a minimum time of exit from the Amex?

I’m a ST Travel user but the Pyecombe would be an option for us if t was more regular.
Yes, different pick up point. Perhaps a question for the club via the FAB as to making Pyecombe P&R a permanent option as worked really well last time it was running. Wonder whether only when train strike on?

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
I used to get the bus in and the bus back home but sometimes I've waited for over an hour just to see bus after bus drive straight past. I now drive to the racecourse and jump on the p&r, easy as pie getting to the stadium but can be a massive ball ache leaving, hence sometimes leaving a few minutes early, especially midweek games as I get up at 4:30 for work.
And I do agree that another p&r, or possibly even two more, would help immensely.
I just don't get why people get chastised for choosing to leave early. People moaning that it kills the atmosphere and has a detrimental effect on the team, but then also being told they've missed out on loads of late goals. Which one is it?
I usually stay till the end but there are occasions that I leave early, I have a life outside of the amex which means I don't always have a spare hour to stand in a queue. Unfortunately real life gets in the way sometimes.
Because those who are moaning are primarily 9-5 Monday-Friday fans who live and work in Brighton or the surrounding areas.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Some of these ‘kids’ do make me wonder… They arrive 10mins late, powder their noses for 10mins in the middle of both halves, leave 10mins before half time, and 10mins before the end of the game for a pint, and barely watch much more than 30mins of football.

Nicksinclair13

Oct 28, 2023
I am a new season ticket holder so guess many of you would consider me a plastic…

But for me I tend to head down to the concourse between the end of normal time and the end of injury time depending on how long is to be played. Me and my boy then run along to one of the two disabled areas on the east upper depending on which way the Albion are shooting to make sure we see any last minute goals from the ramp.

I personally do this because I am prone to panic attacks and getting ‘stuck’ in the stand waiting to get out can be a trigger for me.
I accept I may miss 60 seconds or so of action but by being at the match I ‘gain’ 90ish minutes or more of an experience where I do see the game and spend time with my boy.

Before I had a season ticket if I got a seat nearer an exit or was on the Lower tier I did stay until the ground emptied but on the balance I now accept a trade off.

People will leave for all sorts of reasons and I don’t think it’s fair to just say that people aren’t fans or don’t care… we all pay a lot of money, time and effort to support the club and I don’t think that much weight should be put in the dying seconds…

You do you!

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
I am a new season ticket holder so guess many of you would consider me a plastic…

But for me I tend to head down to the concourse between the end of normal time and the end of injury time depending on how long is to be played. Me and my boy then run along to one of the two disabled areas on the east upper depending on which way the Albion are shooting to make sure we see any last minute goals from the ramp.

I personally do this because I am prone to panic attacks and getting ‘stuck’ in the stand waiting to get out can be a trigger for me.
I accept I may miss 60 seconds or so of action but by being at the match I ‘gain’ 90ish minutes or more of an experience where I do see the game and spend time with my boy.

Before I had a season ticket if I got a seat nearer an exit or was on the Lower tier I did stay until the ground emptied but on the balance I now accept a trade off.

People will leave for all sorts of reasons and I don’t think it’s fair to just say that people aren’t fans or don’t care… we all pay a lot of money, time and effort to support the club and I don’t think that much weight should be put in the dying seconds…

You do you!
As someone that also suffers from panic attacks, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I live 80 miles away so every home game is a fair trek that takes up much of the day - leaving a few minutes early can make a difference of over an hour getting home, so I take my chances as I, like most, have a life outside of football. Being stuck in a queue can act as a trigger for me so I also take into account my own personal wellbeing.

I really don't get why people are so high and mighty over this issue - we all pay our money and are free to arrive / leave when we want. For what its worth, people who go to the concourse 5mins before half time to make sure they can cram 3 beers in before returning to their seats 10 mins into the 2nd half I would argue miss far more than those who leave on 85+ mins - don't see the criticism for them

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
In essence, if you’ve thread through the dozens of reasons (health, 3hr journeys home made into 4hrs, work that same or next day, the list goes on) why people sometimes leave before the end and you still tut at them at the next game, you’re just a bit of a bellend.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Can't be bothered to read 11 pages but here's my take on it.

Personally I prefer to stay and clap the players off, that said I have nowhere else to rush off to, I park at The Farm Shop and only drive to Arundel.

Others have commitments or preferences and that's entirely up to them. Who are we to tell someone else what to do with a ticket they've paid for? I've been to the cinema and left before the end, the theatre and even one of my kid's Christmas show's* (*They didn't know and had seen me there before Esther Rantzen comes crashing through my front door)

The same people that bemoan people leaving early may choose to do all sorts of things that offend others, tough luck. If it isn't harming you and it's not outrageously offensive then all you can do is suck it up, people have the right to do as they wish within those boundaries.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It seems to be only the trolling OP, and those who live within walking distance of the stadium, who get irked by some people’s need to leave before the final whistle, so we’re collectively wasting a lot of energy here. The general view seems to be: do what the hell you want, or need, to do; no one really minds.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In essence, if you’ve thread through the dozens of reasons (health, 3hr journeys home made into 4hrs, work that same or next day, the list goes on) why people sometimes leave before the end and you still tut at them at the next game, you’re just a bit of a bellend.
I agree with your sentiment, and I really couldn't give a toss on who leaves or not, but the reasons given here are the exceptions not the rule.

The majority of people leave because not queueing for an hour is preferable to cheering the team on.
The fact a considerable percentage of our fans feel that way is a problem for some people.

It's the reality of modern football.
Any other team's fans facing a choice between the last 5 minutes of a game or an hour queueing for a packed train would see the same impact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You do you!
Well said. This thread has gone on far too long but I'm glad it is being dominated now by those who are relaxed about when people arrive and leave, and understand the concept of minding their own business. :thumbsup:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
If and when I manage to get to the Amex I will be there at least an hour before kick-off.
I will watch every second of the game, I will clap the players at the end and I will leave when they are turning off the lights and locking the doors!
But it’s a long time since I’ve been so I will be milking every moment😊

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Its all very well leaving early for whatever reason but surely the opportunity to indulge in an innocent bit of frottage as you leave the stadium with the rest of the crowd overrides any other consideration.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And some retirees who busy-body at what others choose to do.
I don’t think there’s a clear demographic of either early leavers or people that moan about it……all down to personal choice/ circumstances and priorities. If I had’t worked out a way of pretty much guaranteeing getting home comfortably within 90 mins max of the game ending (usually less) I’m sure I’d have buggered off early many times.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For the past 2 seasons I have been walking between Brighton Station and the ground for most games (unless i'm running late).

Mainly because i need the exercis, but also because I have found the whole queueing experience increasingly unpleasant.
Adds about 45 mins to the journey there, but the journey back isn't much different to waiting for the train after watching the whole game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here