Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Leasing a Tesla

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Anyone knowledgable about leasing a Tesla? Particularly via a business lease. Should I go model 3 or Y - the Ys seem discounted atm. I definitely want a service plan. Any recommendations about a good broker? Many thanks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was going to ask something similar...

I was looking at this a bit - not that I can afford one, but thinking ahead to when our old Honda Civic gives up - and the leasing pricing looks strange.

As you say the Y seems to be far cheaper to lease than the 3, although the purchase price of the Y is a fair bit higher.

The 3 has just had a big refresh - the new models started being delivered a couple of weeks ago and the reviews I looked at were all highly favourable.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Looked at it for a while, and ended up going for a Polestar instead. Do that, you won't regret it!

I used these guys and they were pretty good https://www.vehiclecontracts.co.uk/

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Why do you want a service plan? There is no servicing. I’ve had mine four years and replaced the tyres once and the air filter which is diy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Use Leaseloco - it has Business deals and 2% BIK filter. Generally finds the cheapest deals

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why do you want a service plan? There is no servicing. I’ve had mine four years and replaced the tyres once and the air filter which is diy.
I got a service plan with my last two leases and I think it was a complete waste of money. Nothing seems to be covered on it, and when you use them to come and pick you up when you've burst a tyre on a pothole they still charge £500!

It seems like on a brand new car, all the things the service plan actually covers are highly likely to go wrong.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I lease a Model Y Long Range through Zenith, but this is done via salary sacrifice via my employer.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Good question. Just don’t like having to do any upkeep.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
I lease a Model Y Long Range through Zenith, but this is done via salary sacrifice via my employer.
I work 3 days a week for a university that doesn’t seem to have any salary sacrifice scheme in place for cars. Can I still arrange my own salary sacrifice. I also have a Ltd company consultancy and thought that a business lease would be more cost effective?

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Thanks. Will have a look. Heard that Tesla fast charging is best system. Am moving house soon so don’t want to install a charger. Just fancy popping somewhere for 15 minute charge once a week. I don’t do high mileage. ATM just irregular London to Brighton trips mainly and a bit of driving in town. Where do you charge your polestar and how long does it take?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks. Will have a look. Heard that Tesla fast charging is best system. Am moving house soon so don’t want to install a charger. Just fancy popping somewhere for 15 minute charge once a week. I don’t do high mileage. ATM just irregular London to Brighton trips mainly and a bit of driving in town. Where do you charge your polestar and how long does it take?
Personally, I would consider a load of other EVs rather than a Tesla. Yes, the charging speeds/times is appealing, but then Kia and Hyundai aren't far behind (and the rest are catching up) and – IMHO – produce a much better product. There are a growing list of options to charge and even if you don't have a charger installed at home, you could possibly still use a three-pin plug on the standard mains overnight. Or plug it in during the day if the Uni has chargers on site?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Personally, I would consider a load of other EVs rather than a Tesla. Yes, the charging speeds/times is appealing, but then Kia and Hyundai aren't far behind (and the rest are catching up) and – IMHO – produce a much better product. There are a growing list of options to charge and even if you don't have a charger installed at home, you could possibly still use a three-pin plug on the standard mains overnight. Or plug it in during the day if the Uni has chargers on site?

Well Kia and Hyundai have always done very good, economic cars, but then you can't say "I've got a Tesla" :wink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I work 3 days a week for a university that doesn’t seem to have any salary sacrifice scheme in place for cars. Can I still arrange my own salary sacrifice. I also have a Ltd company consultancy and thought that a business lease would be more cost effective?
It might depend on how you pay yourself via the Limited Company. If your salary is low, for whatever reason, then the business leasing the car (rather than you) might be beneficial....

1. You reduce the profit of the business so will pay less corporation tax at year end.
2. The BIK tax on an EV is currently 2% so, say the car is worth £40k, you'd only be taxed on £800 of that, at whatever tax rate you are on.

I'm still intrigued why the current leasing cost of a (more expensive) Tesla Model Y is that much less than a Model 3 though. Anyone know?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Tesla are an ugly looking vehicle.

And pretty shoddily put together according to a detailer who worked on my car a month ago. Paint correction nightmare too apparently :shrug:

Each to their own, I don’t like EVs full stop, but Harry’s Garage did what I thought was a really interesting piece on EVs, PHEVs and his new diesel Chelsea wagon yesterday. Calm , collected and knowledgeable unlike most Youtubers. A farmer with a love of cars and founder of EVO magazine.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Was in one recently and couldn't believe how cheap and tacky the interior felt for a 65k vehicle.
Yep, not to mention the build quality. But apparently people like it that way :shrug:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I lease a Model 3 via my employer. As others have said, the fit and finish is nowhere near the quality of the Volvo XC90 I had previously but as (a) it’s not my car, and (b) my motoring costs per month have gone from around £400 / month to virtually £zero with no noticeable inconvenience or lifestyle change required, frankly I’m finding it hard to give a stuff.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
This is correct, when they do a service its windscreen whipers and coolant. thats it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here