Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Leasehold flat electrical permissions help please!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't say it was to everyone's taste, or that it would be normal, BUT, if you've got other issues at hand, with a bit of creative thought about routes and wiring, as a brave design decision it can look v good imho. My lights in my kitchen are actually connected with it at ceiling level because it was going to be a complete ball-ache to try to do it in the ceiling void without wrecking the ceiling. The wife took some convincing but she loves it now. I would have done more to sockets as I knew chasing our old walls was going to lead to plaster falling off, but wasn't brave enough at the time. Now though looking at it I think it would have been fine. My sparks was also into using it and has been doing more and more of it in domestic work. I do think you need to make decision compromises though, such as where you might have sockets spread around a room, you might go for just 1 or 2 places, same with light switches; going 2 or 3 way with switches means there is a lot of cable to run back and forth - so I think going the conduit route is keeping the wiring very simple.

I'm currently in 'stc' limbo, hopefully in a short while I'll be living in 'redecorating heaven' lol.

I'd love to be brave going forward but I just know my (small c) conservativism will get the better of me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm currently in 'stc' limbo, hopefully in a short while I'll be living in 'redecorating heaven' lol.

I'd love to be brave going forward but I just know my (small c) conservativism will get the better of me.

STC delays = solicitors...

D6x5ie2.gif

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Make sure you are in direct communication with buyer/seller Keep agent away from solicitor. Only person that can put pressure on is the client

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Congratulations [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] on getting your mortgage. Nice one!

Bearing in mind the angst you were going through on here just a couple of months ago, are you sure you want to heap all this further stress on yourself by flying headlong into lowering ceilings, plastering, worrying over retrospective permission etc. Appreciate that everybody's different, but if that were me I'd be inclined to kick back for a little while in my new home before tackling the permissions and planning and scheduling the work. You've got all the time in the world now. Anvways, good luck with whatever you decide to do and hope you and your family really enjoy your new home. Cheers

I'm going to have to kick back and relax now.

This morning the builder just doubled his asking price 5 days before starting making it unaffordable.

This has now just ****ed up the electrician as he doesn't want to do the rewire re-pulljng through the existing conduits so has pulled out.

To top it all off, during all this I completely forgot about my MOT that expired end of October.

Spent 1.5 weeks borrowing a work vehicle until today as it was the nearest mot time I could get.

Garage phoned at 4 saying they couldn't get the bonnet open so I've had to go down there and smash my grille in to get the bonnet open so they could MOT it.

Currently sitting in their waiting room waiting for bad news.

Live in Burgess Hill

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going to have to kick back and relax now.

This morning the builder just doubled his asking price 5 days before starting making it unaffordable.

This has now just ****ed up the electrician as he doesn't want to do the rewire re-pulljng through the existing conduits so has pulled out.

To top it all off, during all this I completely forgot about my MOT that expired end of October.

Spent 1.5 weeks borrowing a work vehicle until today as it was the nearest mot time I could get.

Garage phoned at 4 saying they couldn't get the bonnet open so I've had to go down there and smash my grille in to get the bonnet open so they could MOT it.

Currently sitting in their waiting room waiting for bad news.

Live in Burgess Hill

Maybe for the best in the long run tho eh? How badly do you need to end up neck-deep in expensive Homes Under The Hammer style property upgrades - and all the associated expensive nonsense that goes with it - about five minutes after signing up for your dream goal of a mortgage. Seriously mate, you need to calm down a bit and just focus on the nuts and bolts. Like MOTs. The downlighting and all the expensive nonsense that goes with it can wait til another day shirley?

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Just do it. Then pretend to clarion you want to get it done, get the permission, wait two weeks, tell them you've had it done.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe for the best in the long run tho eh? How badly do you need to end up neck-deep in expensive Homes Under The Hammer style property upgrades - and all the associated expensive nonsense that goes with it - about five minutes after signing up for your dream goal of a mortgage. Seriously mate, you need to calm down a bit and just focus on the nuts and bolts. Like MOTs. The downlighting and all the expensive nonsense that goes with it can wait til another day shirley?

Got to agree with Tom on this one [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION], as long as the existing electrics are safe, no harm in moving in and see how you cope with some good quality extension cables and maybe a few plug in additional lamps etc. Number of times I've had people about to move into a new home, want to plan this or that extension, these alterations, they move in and after 6 months decided they don't need the works afterall. You may look back and be glad you didn't go to all that expense.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

I just want a nice place to live. The money was there. All planned out and 2 days before completion my plans get smashed to bits. **** the downlights. I'm now looking at a £600 car MOT bill.

Considering this place was an empty probate sale and we are first time buyers its still taken nearly 6 months to get this far.

I am in a really ****ing bad mood. No legal transport. I live in Burgess Hill and work in Horsham. I have to be in work at 6am everyday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just want a nice place to live. The money was there. All planned out and 2 days before completion my plans get smashed to bits. **** the downlights. I'm now looking at a £600 car MOT bill.

Considering this place was an empty probate sale and we are first time buyers its still taken nearly 6 months to get this far.

I am in a really ****ing bad mood. No legal transport. I live in Burgess Hill and work in Horsham. I have to be in work at 6am everyday.

Mate, it's exhausting just to read your posts. Always the state of manic panic. How on earth does that help you or those around you? Have you considered seeking some outside professional help for your stress levels? As always, I wish you all the very best but it's with great regret I'm out of here for now :wave:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think I read or heard somewhere that buying a home is THE most stressful thing you can do.

Cost of materials has gone thru the roof in the last 12 months. Wood especially I think. So I can see the cost of the quote going up a bit if it was quoted 6 months ago, but doubled is just taking the p1ss and tbh, you're better off not using him as he'd have come back half way through the job saying that he had this problem or that problem and costs have gone up.

My option, just buy the place, move in and then get work done as and when you can afford it.

Get the sparks in to make the spur safe you aren't sure about and just get in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here