Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Learning web design and app development

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
my daughter is interested in studying this. what is the best areas to learn and where to start for a beginner?

javascript
Python
SQLO
web dev

??? Any advice appreciated

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Just try and build a website with html, JavaScript, css - that will be a great start and there is loads of stuff to learn there.

Once you know the basics start looking at some of the more complex stuff, if she wants to be a front end dev then you don’t need sql.

The other approach is to learn programming in general first like python and then add on front end return later - she’ll likely get better paid that way tbh.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
my daughter is interested in studying this. what is the best areas to learn and where to start for a beginner?

javascript
Python
SQLO
web dev

Unfortunately these subjects are likely to be some of the first to become obsolete with the burgeoning A.i. revolution.

My advice would be to tell her to reconsider and choose another subject.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Unfortunately these subjects are likely to be some of the first to become obsolete with the burgeoning A.i. revolution.

I’ve used copilot and stuff and they aren’t going to remove web devs anytime soon (although I’d still suggest learning development first then web dev)

Even if AI was able to accurately create what a non dev wanted them to - the actual hard part is converting people’s ideas into what they actually want and AI isn’t doing that.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I’ve used copilot and stuff and they aren’t going to remove web devs anytime soon (although I’d still suggest learning development first then web dev)

My dad spent 7 years becoming a master printer and just as he became fully qualified, automation arrived and decimated his skilled profession.

Starting out in web development today is a similarly badly timed endeavour.

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Plenty of free resources on codeacademy, just get stuck in

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

javascript
Python
SQLO
web dev

Would she consider getting into software testing instead? It's independent of any particular flavour of software development that may become defunct overnight, and will always be needed, AI or no AI. Any software developer always thinks that they're shit hot and is always sure that their code is error-free. They're always wrong

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would she consider getting into software testing instead? It's independent of any particular flavour of software development that may become defunct overnight, and will always be needed, AI or no AI. Any software developer always thinks that they're shit hot and is always sure that their code is error-free. They're always wrong
Disappointing, I saw you as the last poster and was certain that I was going to read

5 minute job :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

javascript
Python
SQLO
web dev

when I was at Uni this sort of stuff was firmly in the hands of socially awkward males. Even later in life when I started working it was invariably men with pony tails and heavy metal or science fiction/fantasy tee shirts. Fast forward 25 years and there was a “women in coding” meeting at my co-working space rammed with chicks.

I can’t offer any advice, just envy at how much more fun and less-lonely it must be for young male coders today.

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
I’d look into React. You need to pickup html, JavaScript and css a long the way with it.

Also consider whether she’s more into design, user interface, human centred design or more back end technical stuff. They’re very different ends of the spectrum and require different skills.

Loads of free stuff online

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Unless she gets a job in A.I.

I'd study any of those, python not a bad language to pick up in any case especially if you want to program cloud services like Amazon.

In any case, if she gets a job IT she have actual technical qualifications rather than vast majority who work in it.

Dec 29, 2011
Echo the unfortunate sentiment it's probably not worth starting. In five years front end dev work will be hard to find, in ten years anything but the most high level programming will be hard to find.

AI is moving at an incredibly rapid rate, even Elementor (a popular wordpress drag and drop page builder) has AI generation tools already implemented.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I suspect software testing is also not immune from full automation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I suspect software testing is also not immune from full automation.
There's been part-automated software testing in place for years. It's usually pretty worthless apart from the most basic level of testing. And even the results of those tests usually need to be sanity-checked by a human

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here