Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Learning Spanish in Brighton

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Has anyone on here done a course before which they would/wouldn't recommend? I need to improve my Spanish and although I have some cd's, I really need to be in a class room to learn properly.

Ta very much

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Don’t know about Spanish – but I did french at Berlitz which is just down from Brighton station. I did the one-to-one and found it really helped you to learn quickly. I’d definitely recommend them – they also have a lot of fit young women on their staff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
check BHASVIC. I've been on one of their courses, and they do a lot of Spanish.

D

Deleted User X18H

Just go to a Starbucks or certain branches of William Hill!

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
spanish - do the michel thomas audio course- uses nlp.

rules - no remembering, no repeating, no writing things down.
amazing - after 3 hours was having conversations.

he does an 8 hour crs, then a 4 hour advanced.

get on them.

then just watch films with subs. lessons are shit, too slow and costly.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Get in touch with the Albion.

Mr Poyet won't come cheap,but I believe his Spanish is impeccable

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
spanish - do the michel thomas audio course- uses nlp.

rules - no remembering, no repeating, no writing things down.
amazing - after 3 hours was having conversations.

he does an 8 hour crs, then a 4 hour advanced.

get on them.

then just watch films with subs. lessons are shit, too slow and costly.

I've yet to see an audio course that can replicate what you'd get in a lesson, and I'm not convinced they're likely to take you very far. If that's your experience of classes, you've been to the wrong ones.

Depending on your level, language exchanges/intercambios might be a good idea; there should be plenty of Spanish-speakers in Brighton who'd be interested.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Get yourself a Spanish girlfriend/boyfriend - that's what a friend of mine did, he's fluent in the language now.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Get yourself a Spanish girlfriend/boyfriend - that's what a friend of mine did, he's fluent in the language now.

Yep my girlfriend's Colombian and she has offered to teach me but with work commitments it's not easy to find a time!

Cheers for the info people, I've already got the Michel Thomas cd's and found the first half hour pretty useful but I never get round to listening to them!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep my girlfriend's Colombian and she has offered to teach me but with work commitments it's not easy to find a time!

If you have the basics she doesn't have to teach you, she just speaks to you in Spanish. No mas Ingles

In Germany, I once stayed in a flat with someone who didn't speak any English. Before the visit, my German was basic: by the end of the week, I could hold quite long conversations. I probably learned more in that week, having to speak German than I had in two years of evening class.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

You might find that if she speaks with a South American accent it is slightly different to the Spanish spoken in Spain. I took some lessons on a recent trip to Argentina, which is definitely different...they don't even refer to their language as Spanish but call it Castellano.

I can recommend one on one tuition, if it doesn't work out too expensive, it really makes you learn as it isn't possible to just hide away at the back of the class. Have to say it is the easiest language I have ever tried to learn, if you speak a few words of French it will give you a bit of a head start as many of the words and principles are similar.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
About four years ago I did two years of weekly evening classes in Spanish at City College. It was really good to start off with, but got fed up with it in the second year as we went over a lot of the same ground.

I've forgotten a fair bit of it have got hold of the Michel Thomas CDs recently as I need to brush up on it before a couple of trips to Spain I've got planned for the autumn.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
You might find that if she speaks with a South American accent it is slightly different to the Spanish spoken in Spain. I took some lessons on a recent trip to Argentina, which is definitely different...they don't even refer to their language as Spanish but call it Castellano.

I can recommend one on one tuition, if it doesn't work out too expensive, it really makes you learn as it isn't possible to just hide away at the back of the class. Have to say it is the easiest language I have ever tried to learn, if you speak a few words of French it will give you a bit of a head start as many of the words and principles are similar.

Yeah it's the same in Colombia, I prefer their dialect to be honest. Most one on one tuition is about £35 an hour and on a student budget it's pretty expensive!

I'll probably stick to the cd's and ask her for help. There's Spanish classes starting in July 2 hours a week for 10 weeks for £170, will probably do that as well to learn the grammar etc!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here