Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leandro Trossard **Sold To Arsenal 20/01/2023**

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My bad in that case - I don't think it is a RDZ driven situation; I just think this Trossard driven situation could have been a lot better dealt with by everyone. If that is down to him or the club or both, I don't know, but it is obviously not optimal. It says itself that the value of a player decreases when it is publicly known that it would very likely create a proper wonky situation if he isn't sold or loaned out.
Can both agree on that my feeling (and this is pure guesswork) is that the only way Trossard gets his move is for a lower transfer fee as however good he has been for us (and he has been good) he lacks the consistency for the big clubs that pay the big fees. My feeling is his behaviour in training and agents moves are all trying to create this situation and to force down the price as they know this will have gone up with the club triggering the extension.

It’s poor from a player who knows the club do not stand in the way of moves when offers are made that suit both parties. I think the Albion publicly doubling down is them making it clear where they stand on these things when players try and have their cake and eat it

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very poor from Trossard and very poorly dealt with.

No problem with letting a player who isn't professional in training sessions train on his own. That doesn't mean Roberto De Zerbi needs to sit at a press conference and burn £15-20m in front of the journalists. Should have been dealt with internally, instead we have a situation where the entire football world knows that Brighton needs to offload Trossard, a change from the previous perception that it would be preferred to keep him but that he could possibly be bought for a decent fee given his contract situation.

This is essentially showing all the cards for any club who'd like to buy him. No one is going to pay decent money for him, knowing that Trossard staying in the club at this point would be a shite situation where you have this ghost wandering around the training facilities. There's no "reserve team" for him to train with like some suggest.. the option is for him to train with the U21s which is no environment for a sulking player who doesn't give his all. Freeze him out from any sort of training and the player union will be all over it. He needs to be sold or loaned out and everybody knows it. I don't see a world where he can be sold for more than £15m at this point.

Everyone is a loser in this situation... for no good reason. Trossard won't have improved his chances of finding a good club, RDZ making it a public shitshow has zero gain and of course people at the club should have told him that showing off dirty laundry in front of the cameras just isn't helpful.

Not a disaster though, the player has diminishing importance and I reckon he'll be out of the club at the end of the transfer window, but there's just a lot of room for improvement the next time a similar situation happens.
Brilliant to have you posting again. 👍🏻

I suppose one options is to give Tross a chance to rebuild his reputation and value over the 2nd half of the season. We’ll put a ‘verbal’ minimum fee as a carrot (£20m?) that we’ll take and then see if Tross can recapture his pre-World Cup form. The alternative is that he goes to Spurs for a ridiculous knockdown £12m fee.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
l
Very poor from Trossard and very poorly dealt with.

No problem with letting a player who isn't professional in training sessions train on his own. That doesn't mean Roberto De Zerbi needs to sit at a press conference and burn £15-20m in front of the journalists. Should have been dealt with internally, instead we have a situation where the entire football world knows that Brighton needs to offload Trossard, a change from the previous perception that it would be preferred to keep him but that he could possibly be bought for a decent fee given his contract situation.

This is essentially showing all the cards for any club who'd like to buy him. No one is going to pay decent money for him, knowing that Trossard staying in the club at this point would be a shite situation where you have this ghost wandering around the training facilities. There's no "reserve team" for him to train with like some suggest.. the option is for him to train with the U21s which is no environment for a sulking player who doesn't give his all. Freeze him out from any sort of training and the player union will be all over it. He needs to be sold or loaned out and everybody knows it. I don't see a world where he can be sold for more than £15m at this point.

Everyone is a loser in this situation... for no good reason. Trossard won't have improved his chances of finding a good club, RDZ making it a public shitshow has zero gain and of course people at the club should have told him that showing off dirty laundry in front of the cameras just isn't helpful.

Not a disaster though, the player has diminishing importance and I reckon he'll be out of the club at the end of the transfer window, but there's just a lot of room for improvement the next time a similar situation happens.
Not as keen on the current manager it seems.
It’s not a great look and I believe that these things are better dealt with internally, but if the press know that he was sulking and in his way back to Belgium. Something had obviously been leaked as it’s the second question in the press conference.
Behave like a spoilt child expect to get treated like one. It is what it is, I guess.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It is interesting to see Solly March's RDZ comments and then contrast that to his public criticism of Trossard. I suspect this has been brewing pre-WC , not just not signing the contract but maybe Trossard's approach to training and games , he certainly can go absent and its pretty clear to see RDZ want's an intensity about the play which perhaps he can't deliver. It would have been better for him to ask for a break to get his head straight rather than let the conflict drive his future, hopefully both sides can get back together which is surely in everyone's best interest.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Maybe, or he would have talked to the player behind the scenes and they might have reached some sort of agreement. It is very hypothetical.

Part of a learning process for RDZ I think. A lot of foreign coaches will gladly speak about internal issues etc. until they learn the hard way that the British tabloids are bloodsucking leeches who are going to make a meal out of every situation.All fun and games as long as things are going well but a few losses in a row and the press is going to abuse this incident the entire spring, creating some undesired distraction.

A month ago he spoke at two press conferences about how he wants to bring in new players, after that it has been quiet which I assume relates to someone in the club saying "every time you say you want new players, those new players get more expensive". I'm assuming something similar now - "every time you indicate you have a poor relation with a player, the player decreases in value".

Think we'll see perhaps less "fun" but more efficient communication in these situations going forward.
He literally said in the press conference that he had a chat with him about his attitude the following Monday, which obviously made little difference considering he pissed off the Belgium and started throwing his toys out of the pram.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just confirms absolutely that TB/PB are 100% behind what RdeZ has done IMO. Wouldn’t be this public otherwise.
Quite. I was trying to figure out if it offers up any clues of the (real) latest with the story or what LT's next move might be.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The club/RDZ have not mishandled this at all.

The bigger picture is that we've got £100's of millions of talent all on contracts with 2 to 3 years left. Those players are looking at this situation to see if BHA will blink. So are a lot of agents and well financed clubs.

RDZ is publicly showing we won't blink. If we have to have a situation where Leo stays but is frozen out, we'll do it. Not ideal, but better than rolling over at the first sight of some player power

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My bad in that case - I don't think it is a RDZ driven situation; I just think this Trossard driven situation could have been a lot better dealt with by everyone. If that is down to him or the club or both, I don't know, but it is obviously not optimal. It says itself that the value of a player decreases when it is publicly known that it would very likely create a proper wonky situation if he isn't sold or loaned out.
Simply not true. Cucurella and his agent did the same and we got way over market value for him. Burn didn't but was sold because it was the right thing to do for everyone. £13 million looks cheap with hindsight, though I thought it was about right at the time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think the club/RDZ have handled the situation perfectly.

I guess we'll know which of us is right in a couple of weeks :wink:

The idea that a club like Brighton would send RDZ out to a press conference without a complete agreed briefing of exactly what message to put across and the likely questions/answers is just beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the club/RDZ have handled the situation perfectly.

I guess we'll know which of us is right in a couple of weeks :wink:

The idea that the club like Brighton would send RDZ out to a press conference without a complete agreed briefing of exactly what message to put across and the likely questions/answers is just ridiculous.
We already know. No player is bigger than the club in any circumstances

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
What exactly does reconciliation look like though? Do we make him parade along Marina Drive wearing an A Board pleading for forgiveness? How do you kiss and make up, as a club, when your highly paid player has encouraged his agent to release a statement undermining the manager and everybody involved with the club?
He's not getting in the team. He's barely played for weeks, has been absent from training and is behind our (arguably) best player (in his favoured position).
Does he strike anyone as even remotely the kind of personality to get his head down?
You know the moment he joined his agent said this was a stepping stone move and since then he has been consistently called out for his consistency and work rate. It was an absolutely monumental turn around for this to end positively.
So annoying isn't it? The stepping stone chat. Right from the off. I know a fee Everton fans and was asking them about Lukaku. They all knew he was a primo striker and on his way but could just never get any feeling for him as he took every chance he could get to mention he was off to a big club as soon as he could and every international break he would be at it.

How hard is it to know it and not talk about it? Look at Macallister. He at some point will get a mega bucks move but you'd never hear a peep out of him. Just be good enough and it'll happen. If you're not good enough just be happy someone will still make you you millionaire and sing your name.

There's almost a venal insecurity to it. Like some people have to say it out loud and read their own comments in the paper before they believe it themselves. If I was an agent I'd be like 'get your head down and be good at football. That's the best commodity you can be for me and when the times right I'll get round the right clubs privately and get you a deal'

As for reconciliation. If he comes back plays OK. Gives us a few binoculars until the end of the season then we should probably just accept it and let bygones be bygones. But he's always going to have a slight whiff of 'bit of a dick' about him now.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Honestly, my argument wasn’t that he wouldn’t have noticed, (see my comment about Potter ‘biting his tongue’) but that Potter’s approach appeared to be non-confrontational, allowing the player time and space to get over whatever was bothering them. A great approach from that individual’s perspective, but with the possibility of having a player in the team who wasn’t giving their all until they’d recovered their focus.

If RDZ is going round training telling everyone they’re shit every time they pause for breath, then we’re going to have dramatically increased player turnover and plummet down the table, I can’t honestly see that being the case though.

Agree that fixing poor performance has to be tailored on an individual basis, let’s hope RDZ has selected the right tool from the toolbox to bring Tross back in.
I think as well there is a difference between just poor footballing performance, where the player is working hard and giving 100% but it’s just going wrong for them and lack of effort overall, especially in games.

Trossard seems guilty of the latter and I think that’s what is irritating RDZ, as even if you are playing badly at least you can still TRY. I don’t get the impression RDZ would be harsh on just simple poor form or some bad performances overall, he seems like he’d try to help them through that. The player just has to make the effort as well.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
l

Not as keen on the current manager it seems.
It’s not a great look and I believe that these things are better dealt with internally, but if the press know that he was sulking and in his way back to Belgium. Something had obviously been leaked as it’s the second question in the press conference.
Behave like a spoilt child expect to get treated like one. It is what it is, I guess.
No problem with the current manager but doesn't mean I have to agree with every single thing he says or does. Yes I do understand that some people right now would buy scent candles smelling like RDZs farts if they were available and that is entirely logical. But I look at the situations individually and sometimes not everything is perfect. The tone here around this subject would be a lot of different if the last couple of results looked any different.
Simply not true. Cucurella and his agent did the same and we got way over market value for him. Burn didn't but was sold because it was the right thing to do for everyone. £13 million looks cheap with hindsight, though I thought it was about right at the time.
Very different situation. Club made no comments (apart from one night before the deal was done), Cucurella and his agent didn't release public statements about internal issues, no one really knows if Cucurella was professional in training under the negotiations and so forth. There was nothing indicating a rift between Cucurella and staff/manager/players, nothing signalling that Brighton would be desperate to get rid of him, which is certainly different to the current situation (despite the damage limitation thingie today where the club is essentially saying that Tross could give his manager a blowjob and all while be fine).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here