Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leandro Trossard **Sold To Arsenal 20/01/2023**

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Potter and RDZ are two of the best young (ish) coaches in the game but they have different approaches to man management - clearly. And Potter's press conferences were/are hardly direct about player or Albion performance. But to argue that behind the scenes Potter wouldn't have noticed or addressed poor performance - almost certainly in a different way and privately - is a bit of stretch.

Well, I base that on the fact that pretty much all of our front line in particular had sometimes quite extended phases where they seemed below par, even midfield favourites like Bissouma would sometimes go missing for a few games in a row.

From outside, it appears to me that GP’s approach appeared to be to allow players to play themselves back into form, however long that took, taking care not to upset them, whereas RDZ appears far more willing to call out poor performance and give someone else a chance.

I’m outside the club, I can’t know this, it’s based on having seen some of our best players have phases out of form without being challenged for their place under GP’s stewardship, and seeing something different under RDZ’s stewardship.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Maybe, or he would have talked to the player behind the scenes and they might have reached some sort of agreement. It is very hypothetical.

Part of a learning process for RDZ I think. A lot of foreign coaches will gladly speak about internal issues etc. until they learn the hard way that the British tabloids are bloodsucking leeches who are going to make a meal out of every situation.All fun and games as long as things are going well but a few losses in a row and the press is going to abuse this incident the entire spring, creating some undesired distraction.

A month ago he spoke at two press conferences about how he wants to bring in new players, after that it has been quiet which I assume relates to someone in the club saying "every time you say you want new players, those new players get more expensive". I'm assuming something similar now - "every time you indicate you have a poor relation with a player, the player decreases in value".

Think we'll see perhaps less "fun" but more efficient communication in these situations going forward.
You are assuming the club is not supportive of RDZ stating in the presser the reasons. The media team would have talked to RDZ ahead of that and responses primed given it was a question that was clearly going to be asked. You only have to look at what has been put out by the club this morning again to see they are not too concerned with this being out there as a public message to the player.

I would say from the outside the club seem pretty happy to expose the behaviour of the player and agent on this one and can’t imagine Barber being someone too happy with an agent and player trying to force the clubs hand in January.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well, I base that on the fact that pretty much all of our front line in particular had sometimes quite extended phases where they seemed below par, even midfield favourites like Bissouma would sometimes go missing for a few games in a row.
Yes. Agreed. But The tactics for fixing poor performance and the skills at dealing with it - don't necessarily result in the desired outcome. you argued that GP wouldn't have noticed that Leandro had had a few poor games. I think every Albion fan noticed that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You are assuming the club is not supportive of RDZ stating in the presser the reasons. The media team would have talked to RDZ ahead of that and responses primed given it was a question that was clearly going to be asked. You only have to look at what has been put out by the club this morning again to see they are not too concerned with this being out there as a public message to the player.

I would say from the outside the club seem pretty happy to expose the behaviour of the player and agent on this one and can’t imagine Barber being someone too happy with an agent and player trying to force the clubs hand in January.
Yup, I assume that is the case, and putting out some damage control tweet doesn't really change it. Simply because there's no reason putting it in public. Sure, people would have known about his absense but just put the "his toe hurts" or "personal issues, will be dealt with internally" or "needs to finish his LEGO castle" or something like that down as the reason and then either sell him under normal conditions or try to make up behind the scenes and act like nothing happened - what would be the disadvantages of that?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If this strop was precipitated by the club excercising its right to the one year option, which it seems to coincide with timing...........

I genuinely wonder why Tross and his agent have gone to such lengths to try and force the move now?

Reading between the lines.........

Without knowing the clubs or players true intent, it seems logical, that BHAFC the business would excercise the option now, to stop the Player signing a pre contract free transfer very soon. Of course the club would want to recoup a decent multi million fee, and I guess the player wouldve loved instead for him to get a lot more money from a singing on bonus at the expense of the club getting a sizeable fee. Those 2 positions are both self interest and are entirely logical.

So now the club have excersised the option till 2024, would they likely force a player to play against his expressed will to leave and allow the contract to run down to zero at the end of next season and forfeit a 30m+ fee? Not likely at all imho.

So it also seems entirely logical the option excerise was purely to sell the player this summer, with a year left as Bloom prefers doing business in the summer, replacements can be found/planned and I dont believe Bloom woud stop a player who wants to leave nor forfeit 30m+ for 1 season more.

If the Club hadnt excerised the 1YR option just now, Trossard wouldve been contractually bound to stay till this summer anyway, the only difference being he wouldve pocketed more money in sign on bonus and maybe by being a free agent, he couldve had a wider pick of clubs he could go to and sign a pre contract for.

Regardless, he was always going to be here till this summer unless the club wanted to sell him now. Nothing has really changed, Except I guess a few digits in Trossards bank account and BHAFC being able to recoup its investment by selling him to prospective bidders. Either way, unless he chose to stay he is off in the Summer. He wont be here next season imho if he doesnt want to be.

Toys out of the pram because best laid plans that maximised his returns at the expense of the club were scuppered?

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Yup, I assume that is the case, and putting out some damage control tweet doesn't really change it. Simply because there's no reason putting it in public. Sure, people would have known about his absense but just put the "his toe hurts" or "personal issues, will be dealt with internally" or "needs to finish his LEGO castle" or something like that down as the reason and then either sell him under normal conditions or try to make up behind the scenes and act like nothing happened - what would be the disadvantages of that?
We don’t know the reasons but this is clearly not just RDZ spouting off randomly in a press conference and we know as a minimum that both he and a senior player have spoken internally with trossard first and he has not reacted well before this has gone public. Maybe they knew his agent was going public with the situation again let’s not forget he has a media team behind him. Your posts read that this is a RDZ driven situation and something he needs to learn from I am offering an alternative view.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Yes. Agreed. But The tactics for fixing poor performance and the skills at dealing with it - don't necessarily result in the desired outcome. you argued that GP wouldn't have noticed that Leandro had had a few poor games. I think every Albion fan noticed that.

Honestly, my argument wasn’t that he wouldn’t have noticed, (see my comment about Potter ‘biting his tongue’) but that Potter’s approach appeared to be non-confrontational, allowing the player time and space to get over whatever was bothering them. A great approach from that individual’s perspective, but with the possibility of having a player in the team who wasn’t giving their all until they’d recovered their focus.

If RDZ is going round training telling everyone they’re shit every time they pause for breath, then we’re going to have dramatically increased player turnover and plummet down the table, I can’t honestly see that being the case though.

Agree that fixing poor performance has to be tailored on an individual basis, let’s hope RDZ has selected the right tool from the toolbox to bring Tross back in.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Trossard should be begging us to stay now, it's clear he thinks he's a better player then what he actually is. Can't see Arteta wanting him, Chelsea have millions of similar players, only really leaves Spurs.

He's lucky that RDZ is offering an olive branch. I'd have sent him to U23s for the remainder of his contract unless he apologised to the entire group.
Exactly. And sign the new contract which has a hefty pay rise im sure. Start performing again and I'm sure the club will not play hardball with any club coming in for him with a reasonable bid.

Everyone's a winner.

Going short term on loan to another country while his Mrs is heavily pregnant is a really stupid option for him.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly. And sign the new contract which has a hefty pay rise im sure. Start performing again and I'm sure the club will not play hardball with any club coming in for him with a reasonable bid.

Everyone's a winner.

Going short term to another country while his Mrs is heavily pregnant is a really stupid option for him.
Unless he was driving his wife to Belgium to have their child there so she is near her family?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It can go completely the other way in fact. Anyone who's played football at any level - even schoolboy or Sunday league - knows that when you have a moody arse hanging round the place everyone perks up when they finally bugger off. Even of they're a good player.

I bet they're happy not to have to listen to him sighing and tutting through his Granola in the morning.
Exactly

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We don’t know the reasons but this is clearly not just RDZ spouting off randomly in a press conference and we know as a minimum that both he and a senior player have spoken internally with trossard first and he has not reacted well before this has gone public. Maybe they knew his agent was going public with the situation again let’s not forget he has a media team behind him. Your posts read that this is a RDZ driven situation and something he needs to learn from I am offering an alternative view.
My bad in that case - I don't think it is a RDZ driven situation; I just think this Trossard driven situation could have been a lot better dealt with by everyone. If that is down to him or the club or both, I don't know, but it is obviously not optimal. It says itself that the value of a player decreases when it is publicly known that it would very likely create a proper wonky situation if he isn't sold or loaned out.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Without having to read through all this thread, has the club 100% taken up the one year option on Trossards contract?
I know it’s rumoured we have, but has there been any confirmation?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why would TB throw away club money? People are getting blasé about a ‘mere’ £5m/£10m/£15m extra.

Effectively Trossard must stay until summer 24, unless an offer meets the club’s satisfaction.

Saturday proved that his histrionics and sulking haven’t upset a happy camp one jot.
Not really - if he’s out of the PL squad for good, better to get rid and save the wage cost, even if we gave to offload below what we think he’s worth. Saves the wages, and he’ll go for nowt in 24 anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not relevant how Potter would have dealt with it. Only relevant thing is how it has been dealt with now - which is suboptimal. Yes, the fans and the press loves it, but it does put the club in a difficult situation in terms of getting anywhere near max value out of a transfer.
Once Trossard and his agent have blurted out their stuff, every option is sub-optimal.

Fine him?- sub-optimal;
Don't fine him?- sub-optimal;
Make a club statement?- sub-optimal;
Keep quiet- sub-optimal;
Fingers in ears - meh, meh, meh - ignore it? - sub-optimal;
Ask Swansman what to do?- sub-optimal;
Make player train alone?- sub-optimal;
Make player train with the yoof?- sub-optimal;
Sell-off for a slightly lower price (if there's a buyer)?- sub-optimal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Apologies if fixtures...

Love this.

‘He’s had his hissy fit, but I’ll be the bigger man and he’s welcome back - as long as he doesn’t **** me or the rest of the squad about again. I’m not having it and would do exactly the same again to anyone else’

All of the spotlight is now back on Trossard to crawl back with his tail between his legs, apologise to Rob and the squad and knuckle down.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Without having to read through all this thread, has the club 100% taken up the one year option on Trossards contract?
I know it’s rumoured we have, but has there been any confirmation?
I'm sure I read somewhere official that the club had taken the option.
However, and i'm presuming here, in order to stop him signing a pre-contract agreement with a club abroad it would have had to have been activated. Otherwise he would effectively free to go in the summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here