Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leandro Trossard **Sold To Arsenal 20/01/2023**

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You're assuming De Zerbi acted unilaterally.
He assumes a lot. It was obvious the hacks had the tip off. RDZ cleared up the situation by being honest. Anyone who thinks he spoke without a pre-brief is talking out of their hat.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With RDZ 100% over the way he has spoken about Tross…..suggestions that he’s burnt x millions off his value are pure speculation …perhaps those criticising him should direct their ire in the way of the agent/player
You see, I felt much more positive about RDZ’s remarks, I felt they offered Trossard a climb down route.

It’s never going to be pleasant to have to turn it around having acted the fool, but RDZ has basically said “I’m open to peace talks, your move.” to my mind.

I do feel this is part of the transition from Potter to RDZ. I suspect Potter would have bitten his tongue and hoped for slow improvement, possibly ignoring several weeks of poor performance, whereas RDZ has called it out as soon as Trossard’s reacted badly to being criticized. I feel there may be more fireworks in the future.
It’s the way i feel about it as well…..and it quite simple really …knuckle down …put the effort in ..show the skill you are capable of and everyone will be a winner (he might then get his and his agents dream move)….ball is firmly in Tross’s court …and Tony Bloom will back his manager i have no doubt about that

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very poor from Trossard and very poorly dealt with.

No problem with letting a player who isn't professional in training sessions train on his own. That doesn't mean Roberto De Zerbi needs to sit at a press conference and burn £15-20m in front of the journalists. Should have been dealt with internally, instead we have a situation where the entire football world knows that Brighton needs to offload Trossard, a change from the previous perception that it would be preferred to keep him but that he could possibly be bought for a decent fee given his contract situation.

This is essentially showing all the cards for any club who'd like to buy him. No one is going to pay decent money for him, knowing that Trossard staying in the club at this point would be a shite situation where you have this ghost wandering around the training facilities. There's no "reserve team" for him to train with like some suggest.. the option is for him to train with the U21s which is no environment for a sulking player who doesn't give his all. Freeze him out from any sort of training and the player union will be all over it. He needs to be sold or loaned out and everybody knows it. I don't see a world where he can be sold for more than £15m at this point.

Everyone is a loser in this situation... for no good reason. Trossard won't have improved his chances of finding a good club, RDZ making it a public shitshow has zero gain and of course people at the club should have told him that showing off dirty laundry in front of the cameras just isn't helpful.

Not a disaster though, the player has diminishing importance and I reckon he'll be out of the club at the end of the transfer window, but there's just a lot of room for improvement the next time a similar situation happens.
Ten Hag has rigtly been praised for his no nonsense approach to Ronaldo and Rashford; De Zerbi has done the same - kudos to RDZ! Reconcile by all means if possible - but that's Trossard's move right now. If he chooses not to, he can train on his own, or better still with the U21s - football-wise the lads could benefit, and the idea that his sulking could somehow undermine or radicalise the excellent young players in our U21 squad is ridiculous.

Quite rightly, we do not reveal the price for our players, but in Trossard's case it might be good to make an exception. Set a price of, say £20M, and if anyone bites, fine, end of story. If no-one does, we lose £20M (which we never actually had anyway and although unwelcome, will not ruffle our finances) and 31 year old Trossard loses his career - or at least any chance of the fabled 'big' move. Your move. Leandro!

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You see, I felt much more positive about RDZ’s remarks, I felt they offered Trossard a climb down route.

It’s never going to be pleasant to have to turn it around having acted the fool, but RDZ has basically said “I’m open to peace talks, your move.” to my mind.

I do feel this is part of the transition from Potter to RDZ. I suspect Potter would have bitten his tongue and hoped for slow improvement, possibly ignoring several weeks of poor performance, whereas RDZ has called it out as soon as Trossard’s reacted badly to being criticized. I feel there may be more fireworks in the future.
You don't win things by being nice. Respect is earned not a given. RDZ appears to have that winning mentality that to succeed sometimes you need to be ruthless. Some react to a direct attitude others shrink into their shells. I'm sure the Charlton performance was a line in the sand for team talks. Italian styled hairdryer treatment.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Those saying it's been mishandled, what do you expect? The club would have been well aware that the hacks had the information he had gone to Belgium, so they let it be known what happened. His agent put out a statement written by a 5 year old. There's no slight on the club at all. Stroppy child throws his toys and the adults deal with him.

This.

A well-timed preemptive strike from the club who obviously had a good idea of the narrative his agent would try and spin.

He underlined the issue, gave him a path to backtrack up if he chooses to, and has left the ball in his court with little ambiguity; buck up or f*** up.

Job done.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very small, if anything of what any of them say is correct. Judging from that, both Tross & RDZ appears to be more interested in pouring fuel on the fire rather than resolving it. Sounds like the whole situation could have been dealt with over a couple of beers and a good talk man-to-man but instead Trossard decided to be even more unprofessional and just leave that training session, while RDZ for some reason thought that making a publicly exposed circus out of the situation was in anyones best interest... making it very difficult for Trossard to bite the bullet and put his hat in his hand and apologise since that isn't easy for a proud person to do after being outed as shithouse in front of the hyenas in the press.
People tend to notice when world famous players aren't in the matchday squad two weeks in a row for no apparent reason and turn up in their home country instead.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You don't win things by being nice. Respect is earned not a given. RDZ appears to have that winning mentality that to succeed sometimes you need to be ruthless. Some react to a direct attitude others shrink into their shells. I'm sure the Charlton performance was a line in the sand for team talks. Italian styled hairdryer treatment.
Exactly. Slap his agent down pour encourager les autres

Well handled by the club. Only one loser here.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Potter and RDZ are two of the best young (ish) coaches in the game but they have different approaches to man management - clearly. And Potter's press conferences were/are hardly direct about player or Albion performance. But to argue that behind the scenes Potter wouldn't have noticed or addressed poor performance - almost certainly in a different way and privately - is a bit of stretch.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Maybe, or he would have talked to the player behind the scenes and they might have reached some sort of agreement. It is very hypothetical.

Part of a learning process for RDZ I think. A lot of foreign coaches will gladly speak about internal issues etc. until they learn the hard way that the British tabloids are bloodsucking leeches who are going to make a meal out of every situation.All fun and games as long as things are going well but a few losses in a row and the press is going to abuse this incident the entire spring, creating some undesired distraction.

A month ago he spoke at two press conferences about how he wants to bring in new players, after that it has been quiet which I assume relates to someone in the club saying "every time you say you want new players, those new players get more expensive". I'm assuming something similar now - "every time you indicate you have a poor relation with a player, the player decreases in value".

Think we'll see perhaps less "fun" but more efficient communication in these situations going forward.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

No problem with letting a player who isn't professional in training sessions train on his own. That doesn't mean Roberto De Zerbi needs to sit at a press conference and burn £15-20m in front of the journalists. Should have been dealt with internally, instead we have a situation where the entire football world knows that Brighton needs to offload Trossard, a change from the previous perception that it would be preferred to keep him but that he could possibly be bought for a decent fee given his contract situation.

This is essentially showing all the cards for any club who'd like to buy him. No one is going to pay decent money for him, knowing that Trossard staying in the club at this point would be a shite situation where you have this ghost wandering around the training facilities. There's no "reserve team" for him to train with like some suggest.. the option is for him to train with the U21s which is no environment for a sulking player who doesn't give his all. Freeze him out from any sort of training and the player union will be all over it. He needs to be sold or loaned out and everybody knows it. I don't see a world where he can be sold for more than £15m at this point.

Everyone is a loser in this situation... for no good reason. Trossard won't have improved his chances of finding a good club, RDZ making it a public shitshow has zero gain and of course people at the club should have told him that showing off dirty laundry in front of the cameras just isn't helpful.

Not a disaster though, the player has diminishing importance and I reckon he'll be out of the club at the end of the transfer window, but there's just a lot of room for improvement the next time a similar situation happens.
I get where you're coming from, but I suspect RDZ/the club had to say something - journalists and the general public would have discovered pretty quickly that Tross wasn't training and then not in the country.

I also doubt that the club don't prepare with RDZ before each press conference and anticipate the questions - they would have certainly discussed and approved this before RDZ saying it. I also think RDZ has made it pretty clear that there's still a way back got Trossard if he apologises and comes to talk - albeit he'll have to fight for his place.

I actually don't think we'll still him. Figures of 25-30m being discussed are still too low - pre world cup, we were all thinking around 45m, let's not forget what a fantastic player he can be. I don't think the club will be willing to lose that much value on a player with 18 months still left on his contract.

Most likely scenarios for me are either a loan out to a European team (put him in the shop window away from the club), or he comes back with his tail between his legs, back into the team, then a move in the summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Maybe, or he would have talked to the player behind the scenes and they might have reached some sort of agreement. It is very hypothetical.

Part of a learning process for RDZ I think. A lot of foreign coaches will gladly speak about internal issues etc. until they learn the hard way that the British tabloids are bloodsucking leeches who are going to make a meal out of every situation.All fun and games as long as things are going well but a few losses in a row and the press is going to abuse this incident the entire spring, creating some undesired distraction.

A month ago he spoke at two press conferences about how he wants to bring in new players, after that it has been quiet which I assume relates to someone in the club saying "every time you say you want new players, those new players get more expensive". I'm assuming something similar now - "every time you indicate you have a poor relation with a player, the player decreases in value".

Think we'll see perhaps less "fun" but more efficient communication in these situations going forward.
The British tabloids make up nonsense for fun. I highly doubt RDZ or Bloom give a shit what they print unless it's libellous.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I don't think RDZ's comments will have changed the situation at all. Bloom has never deviated from 'Players can leave if our valuation is met.' He has shown that he is quite prepared to play hardball with players, agents and buyers. If someone meets his valuation of Trossard, the player will get the move he's after, if they don't, he'll have a choice to either work for the team as the manager requires or to continue his sulk until the summer window makes a move possible again. Bloom won't be bullied and I'm fairly sure that, given questions about Trossard were expected, RDZ would have been told by the club before the press conference if there was anything that they didn't want him to say.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Trossard should be begging us to stay now, it's clear he thinks he's a better player then what he actually is. Can't see Arteta wanting him, Chelsea have millions of similar players, only really leaves Spurs.

He's lucky that RDZ is offering an olive branch. I'd have sent him to U23s for the remainder of his contract unless he apologised to the entire group.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The entire squad seem happy and like working under Roberto playing some unbelievable football , only one Richard , a blind man could see who is to blame here .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here