Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lazy google from me, but here we go... from the first link of 'percentage chance of scoring from a corner'

EPL, 12/13 season
~12,000 corners
10,969 crosses (the rest were short corners)
1,362 shots (12%)
182 goals (~2% of corners, excluding short)

Last season, Wolves had 195 corners, leading to 92 shots, scoring from 8 - around 4% conversion, so a much better rate than those teams in the 12/13 season. Our stats were 156 corners, 70 shots, 10 goals - about 6%.

If we look at defending corners, we can see that Brighton are quite a bit better than Wolves here.
Wolves conceded 190 corners, leading to 81 shots and ultimately 7 goals - so around 4% of goals against them lead to goals.
Brighton faced 216 corners, 77 shots and 5 goals - 2% conversion.

So compared to Wolves, we are both better at scoring corners, and defending them. Of course, Wolves get more corners and we concede more, so perhaps the numbers are simply skewed by a relatively small sample set and the fact corners are actually hard to score from.

In the specific game you mention, we were right up against it, but only two of their shots were actually good chances, one from open play and one from a free kick, both were saved by Ryan. The only other chance was when Jota headed against the post.

Wolves missed 48 'big chances' last season, about the middle of the table in terms of wasted efforts. Brighton missed 23, the fewest of all. I'd see that of a combination of our low number of chances - we had the second-fewest number of shots (Burnley bottom), and some quite clinical finishing.

I don't think we've learned much from my statrant there.

One thing new I've learned.

Even though I was at the Wolves game it's been completely expunged from my memory.

Happy days - :clap2:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
“I think it's a good time to leave Genk and go to a big club like Brighton in the Premier League”

#teamslikeBrighton

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
63 on July 2nd.
Are you going to bake me a cake:)

Oh - I thought you said you started watching in "your" early 70's not "the" early 70's. (Note to self: clean glasses).

Anyhow - heres your cake - hope you like it ....

Cake2.PNG

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Although it is hard to speculate exactly how he will be utilised by GP, he looks to me to be perfectly suited to playing in a CAM or CF position. He looks to have vision, good passer, good finisher, both footed, quick. All the signs from the stats/show-reel are good. I'm far more confident on this signing than I was with last seasons Dutch-league acquisitions!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Why when we were dominated in central midfield in nearly every game last season? It’s the most important position on the pitch and our weakest.

I don’t agree. In the two positions I mentioned we have poor cover at best. In CM, we have a DCM who another PL team desperately tried to sign, a Dutch international, the most promising player at the club, and a cover player who Celtic want to re-sign. Plus a very promising Rumania U21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It could be that the Booze Brothers started to really cane it after new year, explaining how our results entered a relegation death spiral in 2019.

Whatever the reason, we only just scraped by in the end because of our 2018 points return.

Hmmm... I have a source at the club says the problem was more to do with players losing motivation due to Chris’s mismanagement than an alleged drinking culture...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm... I have a source at the club says the problem was more to do with players losing motivation due to Chris’s mismanagement than an alleged drinking culture...

Mismanagement is probably a little strong but I can see why attack minded players might have lost motivation having to play out of position as defenders every single game for three months

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Mismanagement is probably a little strong but I can see why attack minded players might have lost motivation having to play out of position as defenders every single game for three months

Indeed, and even more so when you add the factor that our attacking players modest (by Prem standards) salaries are heavily incentivised.

It's very hard to earn a goal or assist bonus when the team is so focused on defence.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well blow me, he's back and welcoming the players. Warms the cockles.

Innit.

The general reaction in internet land to us signing Trossard is very positive and at this stage (mid close season, him still on honeymoon) I'm prepared to believe he's the new Hazard. But the only thing I took out of the "back to school" photos on the website today was "phew, Bruno's back".

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Something that's hacking me off, and it really shouldn't to be fair, is that the Guardian don't even have a perfunctory "Brighton sign Trossard" piece up yet they have no fewer than FIVE pieces about the Wan-Bissaka deal.

#undertheradar or #bigteambias ?

Might be something to do with Man U being an internationally known brand with a turnover about 5x Brighton and a footballing history that is mildly more impressive. I never know quite why anyone gets hacked off about Top 6 teams getting more coverage; Brighton get more coverage than Accrington Stanley but I don't suppose their fans get too hacked off. We are what we are, live with it.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Might be something to do with Man U being an internationally known brand with a turnover about 5x Brighton and a footballing history that is mildly more impressive. I never know quite why anyone gets hacked off about Top 6 teams getting more coverage; Brighton get more coverage than Accrington Stanley but I don't suppose their fans get too hacked off. We are what we are, live with it.

Yeah yeah I know all that. "know our place, making up the numbers, should be happy just to be in the Prem" blah blah blah shite. But the fact is they're a news outlet and we're a Premier League club who's signed a player. It's not baseless conjecture or finger in the air rumour spinning that you see in the red tops. It's hard, evidence supported fact and should be, you'd hope, worthy of a paragraph in or two.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
A lazy google from me, but here we go... from the first link of 'percentage chance of scoring from a corner'

EPL, 12/13 season
~12,000 corners
10,969 crosses (the rest were short corners)
1,362 shots (12%)
182 goals (~2% of corners, excluding short)

Last season, Wolves had 195 corners, leading to 92 shots, scoring from 8 - around 4% conversion, so a much better rate than those teams in the 12/13 season. Our stats were 156 corners, 70 shots, 10 goals - about 6%.

If we look at defending corners, we can see that Brighton are quite a bit better than Wolves here.
Wolves conceded 190 corners, leading to 81 shots and ultimately 7 goals - so around 4% of goals against them lead to goals.
Brighton faced 216 corners, 77 shots and 5 goals - 2% conversion.

So compared to Wolves, we are both better at scoring corners, and defending them. Of course, Wolves get more corners and we concede more, so perhaps the numbers are simply skewed by a relatively small sample set and the fact corners are actually hard to score from.

In the specific game you mention, we were right up against it, but only two of their shots were actually good chances, one from open play and one from a free kick, both were saved by Ryan. The only other chance was when Jota headed against the post.

Wolves missed 48 'big chances' last season, about the middle of the table in terms of wasted efforts. Brighton missed 23, the fewest of all. I'd see that of a combination of our low number of chances - we had the second-fewest number of shots (Burnley bottom), and some quite clinical finishing.

I don't think we've learned much from my statrant there.

You get a thumbs up for that word alone.

(but I like the stats too)

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Yeah yeah I know all that. "know our place, making up the numbers, should be happy just to be in the Prem" blah blah blah shite. But the fact is they're a news outlet and we're a Premier League club who's signed a player. It's not baseless conjecture or finger in the air rumour spinning that you see in the red tops. It's hard, evidence supported fact and should be, you'd hope, worthy of a paragraph in or two.

Money talks, news on Manchester United will drive more web traffic meaning more adds are viewed meaning more money comes in.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Why does it matter if it doesn't get a paragraph or two?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here