Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] league matches in the usa?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Any of our matches should be played in Brighton, New Jersey in the county of Sussex

1715787013423.png

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So my NFL team (Green Bay Packers) came to London 18 months ago - and I went to the game (v New York Giants)

How is that so different to BHA playing in the States?

The Packers have ended up in Sao Paulo this year. The NFL is expanding abroad all the time (as an aside, the Premier League would benefit from the wage cap imposed in the States).

Whether it's 5, 10 or 20 years the Premier league will go the same way. The players are Global, we see Global fans at the Amex and the league is watched Globally. It's a logical next step whether we like it or not.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The Packers have ended up in Sao Paulo this year. The NFL is expanding abroad all the time (as an aside, the Premier League would benefit from the wage cap imposed in the States).

Whether it's 5, 10 or 20 years the Premier league will go the same way. The players are Global, we see Global fans at the Amex and the league is watched Globally. It's a logical next step whether we like it or not.
20 years will do me :)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
All sports are becoming global with London hosting the Mets v Phillies game shortly. Other countries are embracing it think we will have to as well

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
20 years will do me :)

It started already to a degree. We did the Summer series last year along with Brentford, Newcastle & Chelsea. PB & TB may make the right noises about the export of fixtures but we are obviously going to the States (and Japan this year) for a reason. The one to watch out for is the Charity Shield. When that ends up abroad, it really is only a matter of time.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Three NFL teams give up 1/8 of their home matches so UK can have in season games.
And? They let their clubs move states, don’t have the same tribal feeling as football

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’ve got a better idea. Why don’t we just let rich men buy clubs and relocate them to the cities they want them to be in? All this community rubbish, it’s not paying its way.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
The NFL expanded the schedule to 17 regular season games in 2021. As I understood it, up to four teams from the conference whose teams are eligible for a ninth regular season home game are nominated for a neutral site international game. So supporters will always retain eight regular season home games.

I'm sure that was the case when the Packers (who will never leave Green Bay) played at WHL in 2022. I was delighted to have the opportunity to see the Pack live, Covid restrictions having screwed my plans for a trip to Wisconsin in 2020.

Increasingly, everything football is done for the benefit of TV and not the match going fan. Can see things going the same way with the PL.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

NFL is totally different. It's an American sport, with very litte involvement outside the USA - yes,I know there are fans in this country, but compared to the number of football fans? A drop in the ocean!
Football, on the other hand, is a global sport, probably the biggest sport in the world. While the NFL is trying to broaden its worldwide profile, football has no such need. On the other hand, football is run (and mostly owned) by money-grabbing ******s.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
It’s the future, unfortunately. I suspect the American tour last year was all part of the plan to get to that point.

If so, some clubs will already be in on it, others like ourselves won’t be, just like with project big picture.

Our football teams aren’t clubs any more, they are brands solely to be used for commercial gain by the super rich investors.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The world’s gone mad.
At least at the end of all this there will be local football and hopefully it will get a resurgence with the pro game having got too big for its boots and too remote from the common fan.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Any of our matches should be played in Brighton, New Jersey in the county of Sussex

View attachment 182356
I've been scouring google maps, but doesn't look like they have any stadia close by, they don't even have any High Schools. Would have been nice to find a playing field with a running track around it, but alas, I don't think one exists in this county.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
NFL is totally different. It's an American sport, with very litte involvement outside the USA - yes,I know there are fans in this country, but compared to the number of football fans? A drop in the ocean!
Football, on the other hand, is a global sport, probably the biggest sport in the world. While the NFL is trying to broaden its worldwide profile, football has no such need. On the other hand, football is run (and mostly owned) by money-grabbing ******s.

When you look at the income streams for NFL or football neither sports "needs" it but that won't stop them. NFL has the odd number of games which makes it easier to export fixtures than football but they will find a way. My prediction is that the Spanish league will export fixtures first. That'll panic the PL and they will follow suit through not wishing to be left behind. Firstly, with the Charity shield.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

OTOH, "Football" still has a lot of growth room in the US and still the greatest economy in the world by far is worth going after by "Football."

Now as far as being the greatest Democracy in the world that is shirley waning and I hope reverses soon. I'm not shir yet if or when it will happen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
OTOH, "Football" still has a lot of growth room in the US and still the greatest economy in the world by far is worth going after by "Football."

Now as far as being the greatest Democracy in the world that is shirley waning and I hope reverses soon. I'm not shir yet if or when it will happen.
not sure the US market is ready to jump on football as a sport and foreign clubs at the same time.

otoh, i suppose you only need a small % interested to make it worthwhile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here