Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League Football Grounds used for County Cricket

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Bramall Lane was used by Yorkshire CCC until 1973. I didn't go there whilst it was but seem to recall one of the stands was miles from the pitch. Can't remember if only three sides were used by spectators when Sheffield Utd played there.

I remember going to watch the Albion play at Northampton in the seventies when they played at the County Ground a very surreal experience. Does anyone know of any other league grounds that were used by County Cricket in the off-season?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The telstra stadium in sydney has the snazzy stands that move back and forwad to allow cricket, soccer, rugby and aussie rules

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
I remember going to Northampton in the cup in the late 80's - there was a terrace behind the goal and a tent like stand next to it.

I think we won 2-1 and there was a massive fight afterwards.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
TrevorDove said:
I remember going to Northampton in the cup in the late 80's - there was a terrace behind the goal and a tent like stand next to it.

Sure that wasn't the beer tent?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
TrevorDove said:

Northampton fans came steaming across the cricket pitch after the game but could not get to the Brighton fans who were behind the goal(those with tickets) and more Brighton fans to the left in a cage(those without tickets)

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Anyone konw of any Athletic stadiums used for Football.:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Selhurst hosted Cricket in the early eighties but not sure if it was county Cricket.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I was going to say that TGC (or are you DTG in disguise?). The Albion were in the Southern League at the time though, so does it count?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Headingly cricket ground in Leeds is used for rugby union in winter.
Not exactly the same piece of turf but the same ground.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I remember that Northampton game in the 80s when the "hamptons" run across the pitch at the end to try to get at the albion supporters. .........................Dont think i would have hurled so much abuse at them had it not been for the row of police between us! although seem to remember a couple of fights broke out...................nasty! horrible lot they were..

:bounce: :bounce:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
:lolol: :D :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

seem to remember the ground resembled a local fete venue with all the different tents and stalls

:drink:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Strike said:
Stamford Bridge was used for baseball apparently in the thirtys, and has hold exhibition cricket matchs. :dunce:

Though sadly not too much football.........

Oct 25, 2003
Yorkie said:
Headingly cricket ground in Leeds is used for rugby union in winter.
Not exactly the same piece of turf but the same ground.

they're different grounds though aren't they?

they just back onto each other

KinkyHitler said:
The telstra stadium in sydney has the snazzy stands that move back and forwad to allow cricket, soccer, rugby and aussie rules

Ditto for the Telstra Dome here in Melbourne...is currently hosting Australia's One Day games they play here in Melbourne.

Oh and lets not forget the MCG

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The Northampton game will forever be in my memory thanks to a certain garden vegetable.

I saw the great legend Peter Ward make his England debut in 1980 against Australia at the Sydney cricket ground. Also in the team that day were Mark Barham and Joe Corrigan who both went onto play for the Albion at the back end of their careers.

Stendahl

May 5, 2004
There have been two 1st class matches played at the Dripping Pan:-

1854 Sep 4 Sussex v England
1860 Aug 9 Sussex v MCC

Two great games, I remember them well...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here