Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League Cup

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
With it looking like it could possibly be Bradford vs Swansea for the League Cup final, does anyone else feel that this proves it has lost any importance it might of had??

D

Deleted member 18477

NO! It proves its a fantastic opportunity for smaller clubs to win a major trophy! Chelsea hardly put out a reserve side.

Not small clubs but Arsenal or Liverpool would have loved to have won this cup seeing as they'll win f*** all else season after season the way things are going!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bradford v Swansea? Wasn't that long ago when Bradford were the top flight side and Swansea the ones in the basement league...

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Surely the whole point of cup matches is that it is the team that plays well on the night.
I find it strange how the cups are perceived

If the better team always wins then the romance of the cup is over but if the underdog wins then the cup isn't important to the big teams anymore.

WHAT IS IT

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Fair play, can you imagine Bradford playing in the Europa league next year and playing the likes of say AC Milan??

It was always a regret not to have the chance to see Wimbledon play Barcelona in the Cup Winners' Cup in 1988/89.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
League Cup has been much more interesting than the FA Cup in recent seasons, weirdly, co-inciding with FA Cup Semi Finals being played at Wembley, which has completely destroyed the competition.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
No, it proves the magic is still in the cup with loads of upsets being caused. Also good for the teams who arent "big" to get a bit of glory.
Agree with this. I would love to have the opportunity to see Brighton in the final as would the majority of fans of all teams. It keeps the hope alive!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
League Cup has been much more interesting than the FA Cup in recent seasons, weirdly, co-inciding with FA Cup Semi Finals being played at Wembley, which has completely destroyed the competition.

Agree that Semi-Finals should not be played at Wembley, and that this devalues the business end of the FA Cup. Don't agree that it completely devalues the competition - the earlier rounds are still entertaining and fun. I only lose interest when it reaches the semis.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

I get the fact that playing the semi finals at wembley dilutes the F.A cup final somewhat.

I think the premier league & champions league has killed the cups.

The premier league is so lucrative that apart from the top 6,teams are more interested in staying in the premier league than trying to win a cup & the top 6 are more interested in getting into the champions league than winning a cup

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

This. I can't actually see why it's played at Wembley apart from financial gain for the FA.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Quite the opposite, I would much rather watch a final between two lower teams than between heavyweights. Seeing the same top four big clubs get through to all the Cup finals gets boring after a while. Besides, Swansea v Bradford is going to be an even better game of football because both teams are going to be hungry for silverware, unlike the big names who don't seem to care as much nowadays about the domestic cups.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm sure there's many of us who can easily name the teams and scores of all the FA Cup Finals of the 1970s and 1980s but would struggle to name the last three FA Cup Finals.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I used to like it when the League Cup Final replays were played on a neutral league ground

Imagine all those scousers that got a chance to fill up the stretford end when they lost to Forest in '78

and the year before,that classic replay between Villa & Everton also at old trafford,Villa wnning 3-2

Liverpool beating Everton 1-0 at maine road,I seem to recall

I guess the 1970 FA Cup Final was won at old trafford also

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here