Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League Cup - Pile of dog eggs

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Why do we even bother entering the Carling/Worthington/Coca-Cola/Littlewoods/Fruit Yoghurt Surprise Cup? All it ever seems to bring us is pain & misery. We can add last nights debacle to a long list that stinks like a freshly laid cable. What a roll of honour it is.

2004/2005
(H) Bristol Rovers LOST 2-1

2003/2004
(A) Middlesbrough LOST 1-0 (Not a bad performance but Simon Rodger suffers a career-ending injury)

2001/2002
(H) Southampton LOST 3-0 (Looking forward to the game, about to pop down to Brighton but turn on TV before leaving. See a plane crashing into the World Trade Centre. Several hours later and I really don't give a toss about the match and neither do the Albion)

2000/2001
(H) Millwall LOST 2-1 (After Watson drew us level with a free kick I think we pretty much gifted them the 2nd and went on to lose to Lincoln and Kidderminster in the league)

1999/2000
(H) Gillingham LOST 2-0 (2 games played in the league, 2 wins and 8 goals scored. Gillingham? Pah! Who the f*** are they? 90 minutes later and they've coasted to victory without breaking a sweat. 4-0 on aggregate.

1998/1999
(H) Northampton Town DREW 1-1, LOST 3-2 on aggregate. (After a battling defeat in the 1st match, we were holding on to a 1-0 lead and victory on away goals. Cobblers then score late on and draw West Ham in the next round. Who they beat.)

1997/1998
(A) Leyton Orient LOST 3-1. (Drewe first game at Pissfield, Orient went on to inflict the first of 3 quite amazingly wank defeats on us that season)

1996/1997
(H) Birmingham City LOST 1-0 (Out played over both legs as we began to accelerate towards the 92nd position. A few people trying having a sit down protest at the end and had to be forced out. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.)

1995/1996
(H) Fulham LOST 2-0, LOST 5-0 on aggregate.

1994/1995
(A) Swindon Town LOST 1-4. (After a few good nights in this competition, we were destroyed by a Swindon side that went on to be relegated to Division 2 later that season. Started a run of 4 defeats on the spin. That includes Kingstonian.

1993/1994
(H) Middlesbrough LOST 3-1, LOST 7-1 on aggregate. (After barely scraping past Gillingham we were smashed to bits by a mediocre 'Boro side. Anyone who went to the home leg can consider themselves a true fan or insane. Probably both.)

1991/1992
(A) Brentford LOST 1-4, LOST 6-5 on aggregate. (Hammered by the Division 2 champions that season. We of course went on to be relegated and this "performance" was the start of the dawning realisation what was to come.)

1990/1991
(H) Northampton Town LOST 2-0, LOST 3-1 on aggregate. (Play-off finalists this season but we were demolished by the Division 4 team.)

1989/1990
(H) Brentford LOST 3-0, LOST 4-1 on aggregate. (Good God. This nightmare came on the back of a 2-1 win on the Saturday. I was convinced that teletext was on the blink. Mercifully I was living in Surrey at the time and couldn't go to night games on a school night.)

1988/1989
(H) Southend United LOST 1-0, LOST 3-0 on aggregate. (Were Southend Div 3 or Div 4? Wherever they came from they helped add to a glorious run of 8 consecutive defeats. Thank f*** NSC wasn't around in those days. There wouldn't be enough rope in Sussex.)

1987/1988
(H) Gillingham WON 1-0, LOST 4-2 on penalties. (Famously awful defeat to a 10 man Gills side who had to field a midfielder as a goalie. Who then went on to save a couple of penalties)

That's all I have since supporting the Albion. Thankfully I was too young to attend the 3-0 massacre by Aldershot in 85, and the 4-1 defeat to Barnsley is just a statistic on the page to me.
I can only think of 5 games that can be classed as enjoyable. Wimbledon (H) in 2001, Leicester (H) & (A) in 1994, Swindon (H) in 1994 and Man Utd (H) in 1992.
That's it.
Honestly this competition is as bad as the frigging LDV or whatever. Even if we had completed the amazing task of holding out for another 90 seconds last night we still would have got a shit draw. Something like Plymouth away.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
1988/1989
(H) Southend United LOST 1-0, LOST 3-0 on aggregate. (Were Southend Div 3 or Div 4? Wherever they came from they helped add to a glorious run of 8 consecutive defeats. Thank f*** NSC wasn't around in those days. There wouldn't be enough rope in Sussex.)

1987/1988
(H) Gillingham WON 1-0, LOST 4-2 on penalties. (Famously awful defeat to a 10 man Gills side who had to field a midfielder as a goalie. Who then went on to save a couple of penalties)

I remember these two, We were at the same level we're at now and i'm sure they were both in the bottom division.But then we had a better squad of players,but a worse manager than we have now.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My God, what a great cup team we are!

Got the stats for the F.A cup? We've been pretty f***ing awful in that for the past 15-20 years, too. I can only really rememebr one piece of decent 'giant' killing- when we beat then first division(i.e prem league) Luton Town 4-1 at the Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here