[Football] Latest TV. Have you lost your England Mojo?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With England there is such an air of inevitability about how events will unfold:

1. Putting minnows to the sword in qualifying.
2. Making hard work of the second seeded teams.
3. An encouraging friendly heralding false hope.
4. The pre-tournament hype "This is the best bunch of players we've had since 1966" etc.
5. The cautious progress through the first 2 matches of the tournament group.
6. A decisive third group match, where we're either shite and get eliminated or we're brilliant, prompting another false dawn before we get knocked out by the first decent side we face.
7. The inquest: the players were too tired from a hectic season, X big player was carrying an injury throughout the tournament, clamour for the manager to be sacked.
8. The FA back their man.
9. The whole cycle repeats itself

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He is a fantastic player. If he was French we would look across the pond in envy.

What’s the US got to do with it if he’s French but playing for England? Or is Sterling French-Canadian? I’ve just got my head round the whole “Alexis Mac Alister not being Scottish” thing, but now I’m getting REALLY confused...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He had a decent tournament. Yes, his finishing wasn't great. But just look how terrified defences are of him. His off the ball movement is superb - his running caused Sweden so many problems that it left all sorts of gaps to exploit. And we lost our attacking impetus when he went off against Colombia. He got us the first goal last night against a half decent Poland, and he took apart Spain back in 2018.

Didn't "carry" us in Russia but nowhere near deserving the abuse he got for running like a duck and missing a couple of sitters - his overall contribution was definitely positive.

Second name on the England team sheet after Kane.

He is now yes

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeah I found the co-commentator's wingeing "never a pen" and "where is he supposed to put his hands?" comments really ignorant and irritating.
If VAR had been in use, that would have been given without a second thought.

Absolute nailed on that would have been given under VAR yes.

Which leads he to believe that ... the handball rule is terrible and that football is much better without VAR.

Not just saying it because it went our way. That sort of thing should never be a handball

On the penalty decision last night, i'm one of the few who thought that the penalty given shouldn't have been one .... I reckon the ball was running out of play anyway ... but also in the first half there was a push in the corner of the box which looked a pen to me.

Oh, totally agree that the Dixon and Matterface lack the insight to be commentating on top level matches

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
England have comfortably qualified for two tournaments under Southgate. Reached the semi-final in one (can only beat who is in front of you).

Folk will never be happy. The point with Southgate is that the team seem to like playing for him. That's half the battle.

If England sacked him, as some demand, then the Europeans would be right in the assumption of arrogance and ideas above their station.

Last night an example. The assumption that they should breeze past Poland. A team who rarely lose qualifiers.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
I have to admit that being swamped with football recently i now only watch England in Match of the Day,in fact i feel lost when there is no Premiership matches yet when they do show i find i am annoyed at the amount of holding and pulling of shirts which go unpunished i am seriously considering not renewing my football channels at the end of the season.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Yes,I sat down last night thinking"yes,it's England,maybe I should have got some tinnies In",
But I switched it off after we scored,I just couldn't get into it.
I my disinterest was a combination of no fans at Wembley and an England team of players I simply don't recognise.
Apart from Kane and sterling the rest could have been England youth players for all I know.
The whole thing just seemed dull to me.
Even the goal was sterling going nowhere so planted his foot for the Poland player to run into and Kane converting the penalty,yay.
Not exactly exciting stuff.
Kane had a good longshot from the edge of the box and sterling made some exciting runs but it just looked like end product for all the possession was going to be non existent so I switched it off.
So I guess my England mojo is also low at the moment.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
He had a decent tournament. Yes, his finishing wasn't great. But just look how terrified defences are of him. His off the ball movement is superb - his running caused Sweden so many problems that it left all sorts of gaps to exploit. And we lost our attacking impetus when he went off against Colombia. He got us the first goal last night against a half decent Poland, and he took apart Spain back in 2018.

Didn't "carry" us in Russia but nowhere near deserving the abuse he got for running like a duck and missing a couple of sitters - his overall contribution was definitely positive.

Second name on the England team sheet after Kane.

Yes , Sterling did make some good runs last night from what I saw of the match and created the penalty and also looked like the most likely to make something happen,defenitly has to be one of the first names on the team sheet.
But I didn't like his attitude towards the young lad on the wing.
The lad made a run and sterling passed it assuming that the lad would stay where he was.
The ball went out of play and sterling looked a bit of **** but then he started having a go at the youngster as though it was his fault and waving his arms about all theatrically which I thought was a bit over the top and unnecessary.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On the penalty decision last night, i'm one of the few who thought that the penalty given shouldn't have been one .... I reckon the ball was running out of play anyway ...

This is, hands down, the weirdest argument that fans / commentators / clueless pundits use, when contemplating a penalty claim.

Player A runs with the ball. The ball is rolling along ahead of him. Player B comes thundering in and smashes Player A to the ground, and you want to analyse whether he was likely or not to have kept the ball in play?

WHY? It makes literally no difference, whatsoever. You are not allowed to come flying in and upend an opponent. Whether he has full control of the ball is simply not a consideration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports