[Albion] Latest TV Dick Knight Showdown at The Little Chef

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Or the club pay for one? 👍

Seems very unlikely given the current reciprocal antipathy between Dick and the club hierarchy. His assertion in your interview that the club reneged on the exit deal he had put in place for Mickey Adams after his second spell won’t have done anything to build bridges.

My sense is that the relationship has irretrievably broken down to the point where the club maintain what they see as a discreet and dignified silence and Dick generally does likewise, unless he gets an opportunity to have a little public dig - at which point he does so.

It’s a real shame that it has come to this, but, imo, Dick’s love of the limelight and ebullient personality is fundamentally at odds with TB’s desire for privacy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for that, really interesting

Give the lack of faith Harty had earlier this season, I was surprised to hear that he had wanted to keep MA2 when the team were playing like strangers and staring relegation in the face pre Slade .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for that, really interesting

Give the lack of faith Harty had earlier this season, I was surprised to hear that he had wanted to keep MA2 when the team were playing like strangers and staring relegation in the face pre Slade .

Earlier in the season I was, like many others, concerned to a degree we were playing Academy Football, great stats, no end product, thankfully there were clearly 3 sides who were worse than us, but back in Dec I was worried Fulham might find some form.

As it turns out EPL history was made as we are the first team ever to fail to beat any of the 3 relegated sides, home or away, and 4 points from a possible 18 is a telling stat.

Re MA2, different times, and perhaps you should never go back, Mullery did in 1986 and ultimately we went down, IMHO the promises made to Micky in May 2008 re budget etc weren’t kept, and that might be due to the fact that it was Dick’s last big decision at the club, apart from no sacking over the Olympic Breakfast, when the funding issue kicked in I believe the funds were coming from another board member who wasn’t a Micky fan, but ultimately that’s his prerogative, and history proves he has since backed managers he does like.

That said as stated in Part One, I still maintain we wouldn’t have gone down, just wait for Part 2 on Monday 😉

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Seems very unlikely given the current reciprocal antipathy between Dick and the club hierarchy. His assertion in your interview that the club reneged on the exit deal he had put in place for Mickey Adams after his second spell won’t have done anything to build bridges.

My sense is that the relationship has irretrievably broken down to the point where the club maintain what they see as a discreet and dignified silence and Dick generally does likewise, unless he gets an opportunity to have a little public dig - at which point he does so.

It’s a real shame that it has come to this, but, imo, Dick’s love of the limelight and ebullient personality is fundamentally at odds with TB’s desire for privacy.

The other thing which I’m surprised no one has commented on, no mention of Martin Perry throughout both parts?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The other thing which I’m surprised no one has commented on, no mention of Martin Perry throughout both parts?

Now we know no mention of Martin Perry in 2nd part perhaps you can tell us why.
Good interview a club legend. So please he still attends games. Sounds like he prefers 1901 to sitting in directors box

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Earlier in the season I was, like many others, concerned to a degree we were playing Academy Football, great stats, no end product, thankfully there were clearly 3 sides who were worse than us, but back in Dec I was worried Fulham might find some form.

As it turns out EPL history was made as we are the first team ever to fail to beat any of the 3 relegated sides, home or away, and 4 points from a possible 18 is a telling stat.

Re MA2, different times, and perhaps you should never go back, Mullery did in 1986 and ultimately we went down, IMHO the promises made to Micky in May 2008 re budget etc weren’t kept, and that might be due to the fact that it was Dick’s last big decision at the club, apart from no sacking over the Olympic Breakfast, when the funding issue kicked in I believe the funds were coming from another board member who wasn’t a Micky fan, but ultimately that’s his prerogative, and history proves he has since backed managers he does like.

That said as stated in Part One, I still maintain we wouldn’t have gone down, just wait for Part 2 on Monday ��

Thanks for the response and your reasoning. Not sure I go with the three worse teams analogy this season., given that there were four and we finished 5th off the bottom, 13 points clear of the drop and 4 points short of 12th though. I prefer to think that we came up slightly short of mid table than nearly going down :shrug:

We never played like a relegation team, even though we were in the mix for most of the season. That MA tram looked nailed on for relegation to me and played like it pretty well all season. All about opinions eh?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Still sad at the way relations between Dick and the club seem to have broken down. To recognise important history is not to 'live in the past`, otherwise museums wouldn't exist. But in the wider sense everyone has moved on, and that is how it should be.

I wholeheartedly agree with the underlying sentiment of your post, but would raise an eyebrow at your comment that ‘everyone’ has moved on. I’m not convinced that’s true. I wish it was, and I also think that if it was the relationship between the club and DK would be less frosty.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And he was a better coach than Peter Taylor when he informed him that he wasn’t to change our systems and formations. Cocky git.
No wonder Taylor got out.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Despite all our progress under Mr Bloom's tenure we must never forget that without Mr Knight and his cohorts, there would never have been a BHAFC for Mr Bloom to acquire.

I fully endorse the suggestion that we should have a statue of Mr Knight at the Amex but as there appears to be personal animosity between Messrs Knight and Bloom it seems unlikely to ever come to fruition. Which is a shame.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That said as stated in Part One, I still maintain we wouldn’t have gone down, just wait for Part 2 on Monday 😉

Why are some people so OBSESSED with this 'points against the relegated sides' nonsense? In the end, the team got to 41 points, well clear of the bottom three. Who cares where those points came from? :shrug:

Next season could be the reverse and we'd pick up zero points against the top four, but maximum against the bottom three and people will say 'well, they've proved they can beat the teams around them, but not the big boys'.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why are some people so OBSESSED with this 'points against the relegated sides' nonsense? In the end, the team got to 41 points, well clear of the bottom three. Who cares where those points came from? :shrug:

Next season could be the reverse and we'd pick up zero points against the top four, but maximum against the bottom three and people will say 'well, they've proved they can beat the teams around them, but not the big boys'.

That is potentially a really good point. If we beat the bottom teams next year and end up on 45 points without beating any of the top six, will that be seen as progress, or a nice new stick to beat GP with? :lolol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That is potentially a really good point. If we beat the bottom teams next year and end up on 45 points without beating any of the top six, will that be seen as progress, or a nice new stick to beat GP with? :lolol:

The only way Potter wins the majority over is if we beat both the clubs around us ('we can't even beat the bottom clubs'), the clubs just above us ('we are better than the bottom clubs, but where is the progress'), and the clubs at the top ('we're going backwards, we've beaten City etc before, why not this year?').

Thus, unless and until we get 114 points with zero goals against, they'll be someone who isn't happy...

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Although I don't think his memory entirely lines up with the events described in the book Mad Man by, er, Dick Knight.

I wouldn’t ever knock Dick Knight, but yes there are a couple of minor anomalies in the book!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Wow, he can talk and loves telling a story. Dick ran the club successfully on a shoestring. The right man at the right time. Things move on and yes, it's a shame that the relationship between the club now and Dick isn't great. However, I do think that Dick comes across as being a bit indiscreet with certain points that probably should be confidential. Eg an employment contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here