Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Latest poll for London Mayor election

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Reminds me of the PCC elections here in Sussex.

I believe it is important to vote but this is a waste of time and money. So it's a spoiled ballot paper this time.

I shall be writing 'Jackie Weaver' over mine.

I get all sorts of abuse for my supposed "apathy" for not bothering in general elections, the reality of course being that unless you live in a marginal the respective parties couldn't give a toss about your vote.

However, I love local elections in London. You can "mix your council" up a bit, try and get a few greens in for instance even if you know they won't get control.

I wish the General Election to have the second choice system we have with the Mayor. It's clearly a much better representation of preference.

Nothing to do with PR, it's clearly "first past the post plus".

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I get all sorts of abuse for my supposed "apathy" for not bothering in general elections, the reality of course being that unless you live in a marginal the respective parties couldn't give a toss about your vote.

However, I love local elections in London. You can "mix your council" up a bit, try and get a few greens in for instance even if you know they won't get control.

I wish the General Election to have the second choice system we have with the Mayor. It's clearly a much better representation of preference.

Nothing to do with PR, it's clearly "first past the post plus".

A valid point. It frustrates me that any party can have a majority in parliament with less than 50% of the vote. This government saying that they had a firm mandate when 56% voted for other parties.

Local elections are better and less political in their manifestation- although, strangely, folk still vote on national issues.

I've worked with both Labour and the Greens on local campaigns and some startling funnies have come up. Firstly, if you live in a marginal or a ward where party votes are split, change your surname by deedpoll to begin with 'A'. The third member of your party on the ballot paper is the least likely to be elected in a split vote- unless you are female, then it is the second male that will miss out.

Two friends of mine stood for the Greens and Labour respectively in 2011. Both did the majority of campaigning for the three party candidates in their ward. Both came last in their party's rankings. Why ? They were male and bottom alphabetically. One even saw the other two elected in his ward. Nuts.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Because the Conservatives are known for their successful Covid policies?

Far from it. I just can't see them being as fecking useless as Khan. But I only know what is in the media.

Imo politicians are generally self serving power grabbers. Just some are worse than others

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was up at my Father-in-Law's in Orpington and he had a pamphlet which contained brief, one-page manifestos for nearly all of the candidates. (I think only Fox and the Official Looney didn't contribute). If you knew nothing about politics and just read that you wouldn't know who to vote for as they all want exactly the same stuff: Greener, cleaner, safer, more equal London, and more sustainable jobs. Tory, Labour, Whatever, all virtually identical. The only woman who seemed a bit different was one who promised to 'End Speciesism'. Whilst I've got nothing against that I do think if you asked Londoners what was really important for London I'm prepared to bet that the people who answered 'Ending Speciesism' would be a tiny, tiny percentage. Fair play to her.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Evening southerners.

The odd thing about this years election is the Conservatives (led by an ex Mayor) have completely given up on it.

Their candidate is terrible, really terrible. So bad he's even lost any meaningful support from Central Office and they don't appear to care. If they did care, they'd have put somebody credible there in first place.

The new poll which looks on the surface that Khan has lost support ( he was over 50% at one point ) doesn't tell the real story.

In London if the candidate doesn't get an overall majority it goes to your second choice vote. When that is taking into consideration Khan romps home with 68% of the vote, which he will.

All of which isn't that great for democracy, since it's a one horse race and always has been.

My personal vote is going to Count Binface which is of course nothing to do with him beating Lawrence Fox. Just look at his manifesto:

- Ceefax to be brought back immediately.

- Any Czechs on the Irish border are to be allowed to stay there.

- New voting age limit of 16 to be introduced. New voting age limit of 80 to be introduced too.

- Piers Morgan to be zero emissions by 2030.

- The hand dryer in the gents’ toilet at the Crown & Treaty, Uxbridge to be moved to a more sensible position.

I got my postal vote last night, and it’s even more of a Hobson’s choice than Johnson or Corbyn. Literally not even one half decent choice. Like Palace vs Portsmouth. May go Binface..,

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I got my postal vote last night, and it’s even more of a Hobson’s choice than Johnson or Corbyn. Literally not even one half decent choice. Like Palace vs Portsmouth. May go Binface..,

Yep well described.. feel the same here :annoyed:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I was up at my Father-in-Law's in Orpington and he had a pamphlet which contained brief, one-page manifestos for nearly all of the candidates. (I think only Fox and the Official Looney didn't contribute). If you knew nothing about politics and just read that you wouldn't know who to vote for as they all want exactly the same stuff: Greener, cleaner, safer, more equal London, and more sustainable jobs. Tory, Labour, Whatever, all virtually identical. The only woman who seemed a bit different was one who promised to 'End Speciesism'. Whilst I've got nothing against that I do think if you asked Londoners what was really important for London I'm prepared to bet that the people who answered 'Ending Speciesism' would be a tiny, tiny percentage. Fair play to her.
Sitting here in Orpington reading that leaflet and don't feel like voting for any of them. Maybe I should back the one who wants to abolish the post of Mayor.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
A valid point. It frustrates me that any party can have a majority in parliament with less than 50% of the vote. This government saying that they had a firm mandate when 56% voted for other parties.

Local elections are better and less political in their manifestation- although, strangely, folk still vote on national issues.

I've worked with both Labour and the Greens on local campaigns and some startling funnies have come up. Firstly, if you live in a marginal or a ward where party votes are split, change your surname by deedpoll to begin with 'A'. The third member of your party on the ballot paper is the least likely to be elected in a split vote- unless you are female, then it is the second male that will miss out.

Two friends of mine stood for the Greens and Labour respectively in 2011. Both did the majority of campaigning for the three party candidates in their ward. Both came last in their party's rankings. Why ? They were male and bottom alphabetically. One even saw the other two elected in his ward. Nuts.

Yes, a certain individual whose name we are not allowed to mention on here came first on the Conservative list in Withdean in 2019, as his name was the first one alphabetically. He still got roundly beaten by the Green Party, though.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
London has elected (more than once) Ken Livingstone, Boris Johnson and now, almost certainly Sadiq Khan, thus proving city dwellers are as politically clueless as the rest of the country.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just listening to several candidates on Sky and finding to decide which is from the monster raving looney party.

I will have 8000 more police officers on the streets within 100 days.

I will have zero murders in 10 years

I will stop the police stop and search (White candidate looking for BAME support)

It's actually more like

https://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k

Pathetic bunch of wasters.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You get a second preference though, don’t you? If I was in London I’d probably vote Binface or that young YouTube bloke and then put my least worst out of Khan and then Tory as my second preference. Shame that we can’t get this system implemented in GEs.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
You get a second preference though, don’t you? If I was in London I’d probably vote Binface or that young YouTube bloke and then put my least worst out of Khan and then Tory as my second preference. Shame that we can’t get this system implemented in GEs.

The problem is how do you decide ‘least worst’. Like choosing between Zaha and Grealish for an ‘honest pro who never dives’ award.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
London has elected (more than once) Ken Livingstone, Boris Johnson and now, almost certainly Sadiq Khan, thus proving city dwellers are as politically clueless as the rest of the country.

Oddly, as I don’t really agree with many of his views, I thought Ken was a good mayor. Invested in buses, Boris bikes were really Ken bikes, sorted out the London Overground, introduced the Oyster card, helped win the Olympics. He’s always been good at local management going back to his GLC days when he secured the future of all the London parks. His broader politics and views I don’t get on so well with.

Whereas Sadiq and Boris jointly achieved absolutely the square root of naff all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Can you go through all the London Elections and suggest who should have been Mayor in that year instead please ?

Thank you.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

You don't have to be politically clueless to recognise someone completely out of their depth. He is an agenda appointment. There is no other way that this odious, incompetent little man would ever be anywhere near public office. He lacks any gravitas, has no stature and is, frankly, an embarrassment.
Actually, you are right. There are enough idiots out there to vote this man back in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here