Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Latest Election Poll. Labour seem to be slipping...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That's not the only poll out today.

Ashcroft: CON 31%, LAB 31%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 18%, GRN 5%
Populus: CON 34%, LAB 36%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 13%, GRN 3%
YouGov/Sun: CON 32%, LAB 32%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 18%
ComRes/Indy: CON 30%(+1), LAB 30%(-5), LDEM 9%(-1), UKIP 19%(+4), GRN 4%(nc)

larus

Using the UK on line election calculator its still comes out Con 276 Labour 317 Lib Dems 27 Others 30 but nothing for UKIP even though they get nearly 1 in 5 of the voters in this country.

Is our system outdated and unfair?

Yes it is. The seats where labour tend to be stronger have, on average, less voters per seat. I'm surprised that this hasn't been addressed by the boundary commission, but from memory it only gets reviewed every 10 years (I could be wrong on this though).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only way that Labour was able to get elected was to become Tory. Except, they still couldn't run the economy properly; even during the 'boom' years he ran a deficit (and that excludes the payment on Credit Cards - PFI).

Why do people quote untruths so often? So easy to just check something before you post. No excuse for misinformation really…

Deficits-by-chancellor-001.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Tell a lie enough times like the Tories do with things such as the NHS, welfare and economy and hope enough mugs believe it to be true

Sorry fella, the real mugs are the Labour supporters who think that the electorate are stupid enough to let them run the country anytime soon.

'The money's all gone' note, plus Silliband plus the recovering economy equals another Labour defeat, end.

larus

Why do people quote untruths so often? So easy to just check something before you post. No excuse for misinformation really…

Deficits-by-chancellor-001.jpg

I assume you would accept that you can't turn around an economy straight away.

Therefore, the surplus under Brown was the legacy of the work carried out by Ken Clarke. He had predicted budget surpluses (which were dismissed by a lot of commentators but he was proved to be correct).

Brown also had the benefit of the 3G license sales, the windfall tax an the energy companies and the abolition of the tax relief on dividends to pension schemes (which was widely condemned at the time as it was seen as a tax which wouldn't impact people for many years, as has proved to be that case). Bearing in mind these favourable conditions, Brown managed to really screw things up well by overspending. Do you dispute PFI and the fact that this is hidden as debt, but is a liability?

So, I have not misrepresented facts. You have been selective IMO.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Mainstream media seem to be trying to undermine UKIP at every turn, but the electorate don't seem interested in scare stories and character assassinations of UKIP councillors and are basing their decision on the 'big issues' - Immigration and EU membership.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I assume you would accept that you can't turn around an economy straight away.

Therefore, the surplus under Brown was the legacy of the work carried out by Ken Clarke. He had predicted budget surpluses (which were dismissed by a lot of commentators but he was proved to be correct).

Brown also had the benefit of the 3G license sales, the windfall tax an the energy companies and the abolition of the tax relief on dividends to pension schemes (which was widely condemned at the time as it was seen as a tax which wouldn't impact people for many years, as has proved to be that case). Bearing in mind these favourable conditions, Brown managed to really screw things up well by overspending. Do you dispute PFI and the fact that this is hidden as debt, but is a liability?

So, I have not misrepresented facts. You have been selective IMO.

I've been selective!! Are you serious!? So you're basically saying 1998 to 2001 was still being run by Ken Clarke!? And that's not misrepresenting facts!? :lolol:

You're clearly very partisan in your politics but that is funny.

larus

Mainstream media seem to be trying to undermine UKIP at every turn, but the electorate don't seem interested in scare stories and character assassinations of UKIP councillors and are basing their decision on the 'big issues' - Immigration and EU membership.

It feels as though a lot of people are genuinely disillusioned with politics (the failure to answer questions honestly, petty point scoring, etc.). The success of UKIP (Farage) is he is appealing to the 'average Joe'; talking their language and coming across as honest. Of course they aren't as adept as Labour/Tories in producing manifestos etc., but I can see them polling somewhere between 15% and 25% next year. If UKIP do get involved with the TV debates, I think this will be a big bonus for them.

larus

I've been selective!! Are you serious!? So you're basically saying 1998 to 2001 was still being run by Ken Clarke!? And that's not misrepresenting facts!? :lolol:

You're clearly very partisan in your politics but that is funny.

Oh dear. Perhaps the concept of how the economy runs is too complicated for you. I said that it takes time for policy to have an impact on the economy and hence the tax receipts. Doh. Read that slowly then crank the cell up a little bit.

As for my politics; hmm, I despise the 3 main-stream parties as they are liars and incompetent. So, wrong on that too.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Really, I must have missed that, as the mainstream media seems to be doing the exact opposite giving UKIP massive amounts of publicity and turning everything they do into a story. Very little examination of UKIP in any detail from the mainstream media. The agenda of Europe and immigration is being pushed all over the place and the 'debate' is taking place from the UKIP perspective as Labour and the Tories seek to appeal to the UKIP point of view.

The odd negative comment from the Guardian is hardly going to register with the public.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh dear. Perhaps the concept of how the economy runs is too complicated for you. I said that it takes time for policy to have an impact on the economy and hence the tax receipts. Doh. Read that slowly then crank the cell up a little bit.

No you didn't, this is what you said…

The only way that Labour was able to get elected was to become Tory. Except, they still couldn't run the economy properly; even during the 'boom' years he ran a deficit (and that excludes the payment on Credit Cards - PFI).

Shame you've had to resort to patronising, always says a lot about someone.

As for PFI, that was John Major's and his governments brain child which Labour mistakenly adopted and extended. Since 2010, the number of PFI projects has continued to increase, despite the obvious financial flaws. So by your own reckoning on the economy, I'm wondering who to blame there?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Using the UK on line election calculator its still comes out Con 276 Labour 317 Lib Dems 27 Others 30 but nothing for UKIP even though they get nearly 1 in 5 of the voters in this country.

Is our system outdated and unfair?

The SDP / Liberals / Lib Dems have regularly been polling c. 20% of the vote for 30+ years and still getting bugger all seats, so why should the system change now just because it's the UKIPs that will lose out?

British people don't like PR because it isn't nice and easy like FPTP. I personally don't agree with that and it seems illogical to me that because the Lib Dems necessarily were forced to compromise on their policies having entered a coalition and, having done so, they are now seen as political pariahs. The fact that whilst they've been part of government the country has done pretty well to recover doesn't seem to count for anything, strange.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

As for my politics; hmm, I despise the 3 main-stream parties as they are liars and incompetent. So, wrong on that too.

I see what you are saying and I pretty much agree, likewise the improvement of the economy in 2010, 2011 and 2012 in that image can be attributable to Gordon Brown's and Alistair Darling's policies.

In fact the state of the economy now is heavily influenced by actions undertaken in the 1980s.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...So you're basically saying 1998 to 2001 was still being run by Ken Clarke!? And that's not misrepresenting facts!? :lolol:

Labour promised to keep to Conservative budgets and as far as im aware they broadly did so. hence the utilities windfall tax and the pensions raid, to give them something extra to spend. its quite typical for the first few years of any government to have the hang over from the previous budgets, as they are projected out two or three years at least. and going back to the diagram, when in your opinion does the boom years start, because anything after 2002 is running a deficit.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Can you imagine Nigel Farage being given the job of Foreign secretary in Macaroons newly formed govt .. Carnage !!

Foreign Sec would be just a job in the limelight with a very large expense account where he couldn't do any harm. If he got the job of Home Sec he could really do some damage.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Really, I must have missed that, as the mainstream media seems to be doing the exact opposite giving UKIP massive amounts of publicity and turning everything they do into a story. Very little examination of UKIP in any detail from the mainstream media. The agenda of Europe and immigration is being pushed all over the place and the 'debate' is taking place from the UKIP perspective as Labour and the Tories seek to appeal to the UKIP point of view.

The odd negative comment from the Guardian is hardly going to register with the public.

Try watching have I got news for you on a weekly basis, they are always slating UKIP.

Try doing a search on Google for UKIP councillor and see how many derogatory stories you see, and then try for Labour, Tory and Lib Dem

I am not a UKIP supporter, and I would be unlikely to ever vote for them, unless it was the only option to ensure Green didn't get voted in, but I do think some of this is a bit of a witch hunt.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see what you are saying and I pretty much agree, likewise the improvement of the economy in 2010, 2011 and 2012 in that image can be attributable to Gordon Brown's and Alistair Darling's policies.

In fact the state of the economy now is heavily influenced by actions undertaken in the 1980s.

It could just as easily be argued that because Chancellor Osborne has taken the deficit seriously and taken responsibility that businesses have taken confidence from this and then invested and recruited as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here