Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Latest ComRes Sunday Mirror Poll

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yet Corbyn is polling more popular than Cameron, still I can BOUNCE this thread in 2020

Do you reckon the middle-Englanders will still be able to afford their internet connection to read it in 5 years time?

That's scary from a Labour perspective. There is ALWAYS a bounce for a new leader. So, if this is the bounce, what will the polls look like neaer election time. This is really bad for democracy (the little bit we really have). No-one to hold the government to account.

There's always a bounce because of the media love-in for a new leader. But everyone knows Jezza isn't playing that game, so obviously he won't get that - he's sticking to his principles which is drawing ferocious attacks from the billionaire-owned journalists.

Now will this be a hard road? Given that it's not been tried by any of the machine politicians who've dominated both main parties since the second world war? For sure, but it's the greater rewards of transforming our politics to one that genuinely attempts to serve the needs of ordinary people that makes it worthwhile!

(Obviously this is just one poll, the one a couple of days before that had Jez as way more popular than Cemeron. Polls are all over the place because people are actually having to think for the first time in many years about the different choices on offer, rather than opting for the different varieties of soap powder they've usually been offered up to now!!)

Based on both the general election and how groovy it currently is to be part of Club Corbyn, I think the only thing we can deduce is the Tories are probably even further ahead than the polls illustrate.

One of the things I'm currently enjoying is the smugness of Tory supporters, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there is that small matter of the Europe iceberg headed their way, which finished off Thatcher a generation ago who was a much tougher politician than the current round of pygmies and pig-lovers now around.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There's always a bounce because of the media love-in for a new leader. But everyone knows Jezza isn't playing that game, so obviously he won't get that - he's sticking to his principles which is drawing ferocious attacks from the billionaire-owned journalists.

Now will this be a hard road? Given that it's not been tried by any of the machine politicians who've dominated both main parties since the second world war? For sure, but it's the greater rewards of transforming our politics to one that genuinely attempts to serve the needs of ordinary people that makes it worthwhile!

(Obviously this is just one poll, the one a couple of days before that had Jez as way more popular than Cemeron. Polls are all over the place because people are actually having to think for the first time in many years about the different choices on offer, rather than opting for the different varieties of soap powder they've usually been offered up to now!!)

I wouldnt have thought Corbyn needs to worry about "ferocious attacks" from the media, they are heading his way from deep inside the Labour Party....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
One of the things I'm currently enjoying is the smugness of Tory supporters, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there is that small matter of the Europe iceberg headed their way, which finished off Thatcher a generation ago who was a much tougher politician than the current round of pygmies and pig-lovers now around.

There will probably be some blood letting but giving the people the choice in a referendum has greatly reduced the party political toxicity of this issue. Have you considered where the bulk of the 15%+ UKIP vote will go when it is decided?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
@ComResPolls: Latest @TheSundayMirror / Independent on Sunday poll:
Con 42% (NC)
Lab 27% (-2)
LD 7% (NC)
UKIP 15% (+2) https://t.co/iLLADGKtnR

And in the recent IPSOS/Mori poll (released yesterday). Con 37%, Lab 35%, UKIP and LibDem 8%, Green 5%

Cameron's rating -15 and Corbyn's rating - 3

I know these things aren't set in stone and they're up in the air right now but I'm not quite sure why you think ComRes is accurate and Mori isn't - I suspect that the true numbers would be somewhere in-between

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I agree, but the trouble for Labour is that the rules of electing the next party leader will still be in place. They are just as likely to get another hard left unelectable leader. If they want to return to power they need to parachute David Miliband into a safe seat and let him have a couple of years of turning the party into an electable one.

The problem with that is that it will not be a left wing party anymore and the true Labour supporters will not be represented. They have two choices. Either get elected with centre policies or stay in opposition with their true left wing Labour principles.

The MPs could just nominate one MP and then there would be no vote, like with Brown.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
And in the recent IPSOS/Mori poll (released yesterday). Con 37%, Lab 35%, UKIP and LibDem 8%, Green 5%

Cameron's rating -15 and Corbyn's rating - 3

I know these things aren't set in stone and they're up in the air right now but I'm not quite sure why you think ComRes is accurate and Mori isn't - I suspect that the true numbers would be somewhere in-between

The headline voting intention Con 41% Lab 34% was closer to the ComRes poll. Interestingly ComRes have been at the forefront of changing their methodology to try and avoid the errors made by most polling companies at the last election.

If you are interested in the specifics of this, the reason for the gap is probably ComRes’s new turnout model. Rather than weighting people based on how likely they claim they are to vote, ComRes estimate people’s likelihood to vote based on demographic factors like age and class. In practice, it means weighting down young people and working class people who are more likely to support Labour.
At the moment polling companies’ methods are in a state of flux. Some companies like ComRes have made substantial changes to address the errors of the general election; other companies have made only modest interim changes while they await the results of the polling review. . . it may be that we won’t be able to tell who has taken the correct approach until we see the results of the 2020 general election.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

As you say the true numbers are probably somewhere in-between.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Do you reckon the middle-Englanders will still be able to afford their internet connection to read it in 5 years time?

You raise an important point that the middle classes are being materially impacted by the new internet based economic business models. Wealth is being concentrated to the few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here