Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Late Kick-Off

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've just watched that South-West version, and it is miles better, a different (and much better) commentator in Jon Roder, more highlights, just more polished and professional all round. Plus not that sulky t*sser Bright.

What is the point in not showing that version in the region where both clubs actually are?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've just watched that South-West version, and it is miles better, a different (and much better) commentator in Jon Roder, more highlights, just more polished and professional all round. Plus not that sulky t*sser Bright.

What is the point in not showing that version in the region where both clubs actually are?

It's also bizarre that the BBC should produce TWO different versions of the same match, with different commentators. Why on earth would they do that? Very odd.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's also bizarre that the BBC should produce TWO different versions of the same match, with different commentators. Why on earth would they do that? Very odd.

It's not made centrally. Each programme was out out to tender with production companies competing for the contract (John Roder and Andy Steggall actually make the South version, I believe). The budget for the programme is tiny - especially when you consider the companies involved are trying to make a profit. But that doesn't excuse the South East item - the most badly-edited 'professional' TV coverage I've ever seen by some distance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The London one will obviously be biased towards a London club to keep their viewers happy but to have a Palace employee on who was supposed to be neutral is going to far.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Late in posting this but I specifically recorded the Hampshire biased Meridian Tonight to check out what they had to say and it was shocking!

They gave it a decent enough build-up but then rattled through the goals pretty quickly but that was not the worst of it. When they do their highlights package when they move from one game to the next they flash the badge of the club they are featuring across the screen then show that teams goals. But I kid you not, for our second goal, Ulloa's shot had not even hit the net when the Southampton badge was already visible on screen!

Surely they could not be that pushed for time that they cannot spare us just 1 extra second?!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's not made centrally. Each programme was out out to tender with production companies competing for the contract (John Roder and Andy Steggall actually make the South version, I believe). The budget for the programme is tiny - especially when you consider the companies involved are trying to make a profit. But that doesn't excuse the South East item - the most badly-edited 'professional' TV coverage I've ever seen by some distance.

Yes. but you'd have thought when it comes to actually showing match highlights that at least could be done centrally. No wonder the BBC loses so much money.

I like the way they got the club to promote the show beforehand (including at the match), saying they would be showing 'extended highlights' of the game. What exactly did they mean by 'extended'? Incredible.

And not only was it unprofessionally edited, to actually miss the build up to the brilliant third goal was woeful. What a load of ****!

The South version is a whole load better.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yes. but you'd have thought when it comes to actually showing match highlights that at least could be done centrally. No wonder the BBC loses so much money.

It wouldn't really cost any more than usual to have two edits - the editor would have to be there anyway to put the other items together. The match coverage itself is centralised so there's no new cost there and the commentary would almost certainly just be post-dubbed (in the south case by John Roder, who part-owns the production company and so wouldn't be getting a separate fee as such).

Each show would require the flexibility to cut their own version anyway, to fit with the time they had available. So even if you provided one central edit, one show would almost certainly still end up removing or adding bits.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It wouldn't really cost any more than usual to have two edits - the editor would have to be there anyway to put the other items together. The match coverage itself is centralised so there's no new cost there and the commentary would almost certainly just be post-dubbed (in the south case by John Roder, who part-owns the production company and so wouldn't be getting a separate fee as such).

Each show would require the flexibility to cut their own version anyway, to fit with the time they had available. So even if you provided one central edit, one show would almost certainly still end up removing or adding bits.

The editing for the SE version was terrible - very, very amateur. You'd have thought if they include match highlights they could each broadcast a fixed length and build the rest of the show around it, ie one less tedious comment from Mark 'can't-stand-Bright(on)'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here