Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Late 1980s team photo

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Wouldn't have got Daren Newman, and Franco Massimo I'm not sure on either.

?

Correct on both counts.

Franco Massimo was the quickest player I ever played against, and I believe still holds the 100 metres record at forest school in Horsham.

Darren Newman went on to play for Horsham, and possibly Whitehawk I think.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just found this (courtesy of www.thegoldstonewrap.com) while searching Google for the legend that was Dale Jasper.

Here is delectable Dale....

dalejasper.jpg

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Darren Newman???- Steve Gatting- Gerry Armstrong- Gary O'Reilly- Franko Massimo???- David Gipp???
Dale Jasper- Terry Connor- Perry Digweed- Eric Young-?????????
Kieran O'Regan- Steve Penney- Dean Saunders- Danny Wilson- Dennis Mortimer- Chris Hutchings.

That's my mate Sean, his lad is an excellent player and Sean helps me out...Sean's in the middle at the back

emy3y3u2.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That's my mate Sean, his lad is an excellent player and Sean helps me out...Sean's in the middle at the back

emy3y3u2.jpg

Sean Edwards, from way back when...

seanedwards.jpg

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
At last a thread for DJ. Worst albion player I've ever seen .

Ps
I'm pretty sure the picture above isn't him. Looks more like Kieran o'reigan

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Dale 4 Edna :love:

dalejasper2.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
At last a thread for DJ. Worst albion player I've ever seen .

Ps
I'm pretty sure the picture above isn't him. Looks more like Kieran o'reigan

Which one isn't Jasper?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Good to hear. He coached my school team, with the help of his son. They were both exceptionally nice gents.

He's also on Facebook, and is a member of the 'He Shot He Scored. It Must Be Peter Ward' group.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Will we ever really know the truth about that season??? Cattlin was fired at the end of the previous season, amid protests and all round general astonishment at that decision. Replaced by Mullery, who after a shaky start to the season, was in many peoples eyes starting to turn it around...Then he was gone and replaced by Barry Who??? as I recall everyone called him....Chrissy Cattlin's blue and white army, was still ringing it's way around the North Stand at every game and we hardly won a game from January until we were relegated....Why didn't they just appoint Lloyd after Cattlin is what I will never understand, if Mullery was only ever bought in to be made a scapegoat of......strange times indeed.

Many of the supporters were apoplectic after Cattlin was sacked. I don't think going from Cattlin to Lloyd would have been considered feasible. Best to placate the supporters by giving them Mullery first, seemed to be the rationale.

As you say, Mullery's second spell was not bad at all. He had to release lots of experienced players and when he did have a bit of money to spend, he bought a great keeper in John Keeley. While some of his signings were clearly over the hill, such as Gary Rowell and Gerry Armstrong, it was more a reflection of the tight financial constraints he was under than anything else. It certainly was not the disaster that the season eventually became under Lloyd.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dale 4 Edna :love:

dalejasper2.jpg

Thanks for that :)

Even as an eleven year old, I still knew enough about football to recognise that Dale Jasper was one of our worst players.

Poor old Dale.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My first match was against Palace in April 1987 - we won 2-0, but Dale Jasper did his utmost to score two own goals.
He just wasn't even good enough to do that either!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here