Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last time Albion were live on free to air telly in the UK..

Was there

Can still see Gerry Ryan bursting towards the South Stand goal to BURY it!

Me too - if the game was still going on now the Liverpool forwards would still be missing the goal or having Corrigan save.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Was there

Can still see Gerry Ryan bursting towards the South Stand goal to BURY it!

Surely you mean the North Stand? I was there as well, my third game and the only time I ever sat in the West Stand

Dec 29, 2011

Seem to remember watching this on Meridian in 1995/6 using a 14" portable perched precariously on the cafe's cake-cabinet at work.

Never seen that before.. can't believe it was 17 years ago, seems ancient, more like the 80s especially with fans behaving like that. Any long term bans or anything for the invasion? Or did they not do that back then?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So we've live on ITV against the Toon. When was the last time we were live on free to air telly. Some of us will recall Albion v Liverpool in Jan 1984, can anyone recall any others? If they were it was a long time ago..

First ever match to be broadcast live on a Sunday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can still remember Big Ron's commentary on the replay of Terry Connor's goal.

"I've never been the biggest fan of the lad, but no one could have taken that better."

Great day.

Yoda

English & European
Unlikely because I remember watching at home and I've never had Sky. Could it have been the short-lived ITV Digital Channel ? Seem to remember a thrashing at Brentford on that as well.

Was definitely Sky as I remember their going on about Zamora getting the record for scoring in consecutive matches.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well unless anyone can say to the contary I think this fair to say this is Albions first match on NATIONAL free to air TV for 29 years. You can't include a match on Meridan (local), S4C (local), Sky, Setana, ESPN (pay TV). So this is how long its taken for us to get a slot. I was there in 1984 in the East stand, what a great afternoon it was. Doing the Red two years in a row at their peak was something..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't think you can count that, the ITV sports channel wasn't really free to air. I'm talking anything you can get on a free view box. Not with a dish, the web or watching in some other country. I'm talking main channels, thats how long its been, 29 years!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Whenever the last time we were on was I'm sure the picture was better than the ITV SD one will be.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The last time were we one, HDTV was still in the NHK labs in Japan..

Yoda

English & European
Didnt we play a cup game that BZ scored in vs Rushden Diamonds a few years ago.

That was on Sky Sports. :)

Unlikely because I remember watching at home and I've never had Sky. Could it have been the short-lived ITV Digital Channel ? Seem to remember a thrashing at Brentford on that as well.

Was definitely Sky as I remember their going on about Zamora getting the record for scoring in consecutive matches.

Wrong, your mind is playing tricks on you. Do you not remember the chants of Andy Steggal is a wanker?

Brentford vs Brighton- LIVE!!!!

Following the whole conversation, who's mind is playing tricks on them?

I'm going on about the Rusden game in the FA Cup

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
First ever match to be broadcast live on a Sunday.

Was it really, never knew that.

I can remember going frame by frame through the VHS recording trying to spot myself after the goals, I seem to remember there were some good crowd shots of hte NS after each goal.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Didn't we play aldershot on the BBC in a fa cup game, won 6-1 i think.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Didn't we play aldershot on the BBC in a fa cup game, won 6-1 i think.

That wsn't live but it was shown as the main game on MOTD that evening. Cracking old fashion FA Cup atmosphere as I recall. Two well taken Oatway goals as well which can't have happened very often if ever.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

I can't find the video - it's on the Withdean Years DVD and it has sky commentators and sky coverage of the game.

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
Was it really, never knew that.

I can remember going frame by frame through the VHS recording trying to spot myself after the goals, I seem to remember there were some good crowd shots of hte NS after each goal.

:clap: This was the only time I ever saw my face on the telly at the goldstone. I stood by the NW corner on purpose, was quite a hit at school on the monday for a hour or two

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here