Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last "real" chance for Burnley to blink first tonight.....

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Wow just checking out Hull fixtures - 4 pretty easy games to go should see them on 88 points at the end of the season, they should have walked this run in.

At the very least we need to get 5 more points to ensure we don't end up 4th and playing Derby over 2 legs in the play offs - *shudder*

4 pretty easy games?!

Leeds-won last 3
Brentford won 4 of last 5
Rotherham- unbeaten in 10.

Also Hull playing Tues/Sat/Tues/Sat.

Think you might need to rethink that one!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Maybe we should also be looking at Boro.... Ipswich and Birmingham could provide tricky tests for them.

A lot of focus on Burnley but an Ipswich result at The Riverside could make their trip to Birmingham very interesting.

I wouldn't get yer hopes up too high.......
1) Burnley aren't 20 games unbeaten for a reason. They are joint top scorers in the division and are going to a Preston side that struggles to score.
2) Ipswich are very ordinary and right off the boil. We would walk all over them now and Boro will bully them out the game. Brum are rolling over at home at mo. They have lost their last 3 to us, Leeds and Burnley. Why would a very good Boro side find it any more difficult?
We have by a million miles the hardest last two games. They looked difficult at the beginning of the season and they still look tough, now. Derby are building momentum and will be a big danger in the play-offs.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

If Burnley lost 4-0 tonight would we go up to second with a game in hand? (I know I know just theoretically like)

Yes, if we've scored more goals.

EDIT. Just checked. Everything seems to be equal in your scenario except game played. I expect if it ended like this, it would be coin tossing time to see who went up?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Burnley aren't 20 games unbeaten for a reason. They are joint top scorers in the division and are going to a Preston side that struggles to score.

The other joint top scorers in the division had two 0-0 draws with Preston :)

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Charlton beat us (Boro) 2-0. Wouldn't exactly say Burnleys last game is a foregone conclusion. Us and Brighton for the Autos - I'll happily let you be champions too!

Burnley to reach the play off final where their fans spend hundreds on, tickets, accommodation and travel, only for Bradley Johnson to get a 90+6 undeserved winner with his knee to send their fans crying all the way home and turning SD into Wreck-it Ralph punching one of the officials and being band from the game for life.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Massive, MASSIVE game for Burnley this. If they win tonight, they are almost there.

No pressure, then.

Burnley have stood up to all the pressure thus far and its hard to see them cracking now. I expect them to get a min of 7 points from the last 3 games and 91 pts will be a hell of a good marker.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Preston need to give their fans something to cheer about. This is an ideal opportunity to end the season on a high for them. They have a great home record; let's hope this is a step too far for the rusty Dalek and his pet thug.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It's frustrating that we actually need Burnley to lose tonight (which would mean 7 points will see us promoted), as them drawing doesn't really do much to help us (we'll still need all 9).

The way they've hung on at the top with last minute goals recently, extending their unbeaten run to 20 games, means I just can't see them losing.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Charlton beat us (Boro) 2-0. Wouldn't exactly say Burnleys last game is a foregone conclusion. Us and Brighton for the Autos - I'll happily let you be champions too!

Burnley to reach the play off final where their fans spend hundreds on, tickets, accommodation and travel, only for Bradley Johnson to get a 90+6 undeserved winner with his knee to send their fans crying all the way home and turning SD into Wreck-it Ralph punching one of the officials and being band from the game for life.

One can only dream.......

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The other joint top scorers in the division had two 0-0 draws with Preston :)

True...but the home game saw us play Ince and Crofts in midfield and we were toothless in the extreme. I didn't go to Preston but didn't we have a good goal ruled out ( Murphy ) ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
True...but the home game saw us play Ince and Crofts in midfield and we were toothless in the extreme. I didn't go to Preston but didn't we have a good goal ruled out ( Murphy ) ?

Two. Hemed had one disallowed as well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Offer me a draw tonight and I'd bite your hand off FWIW - I know the mathematical thinking behind 'a draw doesn't change things much' - but that's based on assumption Burnley would win their last 2 etc. Don't agree with @Simster and @Triggaaar on this one!
I can see your point of view, a draw is certainly better than nothing and there's no guarantee they'd win their last two. I can't help thinking they will though, and this sure looks like their last tough game, so I'll twist :)

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Bolton leading and coming within minutes of picking up a point vs Boro is all you need to know about this league. Cliché, yes, but anyone can take points off anyone. Charlton will be incredibly hard tomorrow I suspect - an AWAY game in the championship always is. As for QPR - they have as stronger squad as most of the top 6 on paper - they have drawn 7 out of 8 away (think the one they lost was a thrashing but I think it was to the best team in the league - clearly). Let's just take it each game as it comes.

Offer me a draw tonight and I'd bite your hand off FWIW - I know the mathematical thinking behind 'a draw doesn't change things much' - but that's based on assumption Burnley would win their last 2 etc. Don't agree with [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] on this one!

If burnley draw, boro can wrap up promotion before their game with us which could be key.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Burnley drop any points tonight they will under pressure if we win tomorrow. I'll settle for this outcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here